Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Drives: 12 Yaris/07 yaris
greddy turbo kit

who all is running this kit?

so now we have had this kit for a while, it seems like this turbo just runs out of potential at 4500rpm... leave 1500 rpm of suck!.

ive been looking around and i have found people recommending a td04 hybrid.
funny thing is i have a td04 on my shelf.. then i found this!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Turbo-CHRA-Upgrad...item415aa6ef79

keeps the same turbine housing but center cartridge and comp housing is changed.
any thoughts? and i plan on doing a full port of the turbine housing to improve the flow rate at higher rpm as well.
Scubaru Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
are you tuned?
Old 06-24-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Go for it! Then report!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:37 AM   #4
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
are you tuned?
haltech sprint 500 is on the way, no piggy back can tame this echo.
it seem like its standalone or nothing.... unless there is an fic pro in alberta.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:32 AM   #5
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
so now we have had this kit for a while, it seems like this turbo just runs out of potential at 4500rpm... leave 1500 rpm of suck!
Has it always done this or is this a new problem recently?

In other words, did it spool up sooner then 4500 rmp's before?
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
Has it always done this or is this a new problem recently?

In other words, did it spool up sooner then 4500 rmp's before?
5psi at 2-2200rpm. you can feel it running out of breath at higher rpm, and no, it has always been like that. we have a 2.25 straight through exhaust. so there is no choking. intake is free flowing as well.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:51 PM   #7
johnny_vitz

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
are you tuned?
Is it? Emanage blue is working well for me
Old 06-27-2011, 05:07 AM   #8
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaru Steve View Post
5psi at 2-2200rpm. you can feel it running out of breath at higher rpm, and no, it has always been like that. we have a 2.25 straight through exhaust. so there is no choking. intake is free flowing as well.
yea dude, sounds like you need a turbo upgrade.. I think you have pushed everything that turbo has to offer.

I agree with CaliYaris, get it and report back to us. lol, if you gots the money
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_vitz View Post
Is it? Emanage blue is working well for me
but didnt you say the tune from greddy left a lot on the table...?
Old 06-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #10
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback
I got my FIC dialed in great.
pimp my yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #11
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

well we have the fic and emanage blue for sale if anyone wants them.
the echo wont leave closed loop untill 5000rpm... its stupid. and still.
we had the fic tuned great. but it only works 50% of the time. this echo is just taking us for a ride, so go standalone and no more fighting with the factory ecu.

im thinking that this compressor upgrade still wont help top end, and looking at the dimensions. i dont think it will even clear the valve cover.
so im thinking i need to buy a microimage manifold, turbo and dp and start over.... sigh* anyone want to buy a greddy turbo kit? its sad becuase 5psi is had right at 2000 rpm....
Old 06-27-2011, 11:17 PM   #12
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Uh... Why don't you just turn up the boost if you're concerned with making more power? That compressor housing still isn't a bad idea though.

I really don't think it's worth wasting money on a standalone unless you have substantial boost (10+psi) and even possibly a built engine / cams / head. You can get the FIC "working" 100% of the time by just tuning in open loop bro.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:40 PM   #13
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post
Uh... Why don't you just turn up the boost if you're concerned with making more power? That compressor housing still isn't a bad idea though.

I really don't think it's worth wasting money on a standalone unless you have substantial boost (10+psi) and even possibly a built engine / cams / head. You can get the FIC "working" 100% of the time by just tuning in open loop bro.
larger compressor housing will help, but with that added air going through, there is more air that needs to go through the already too small turbine housing. that make the exhaust very restrictive and limits power. you can run 20psi, but the restriction from the exhaust will make the added boost pressure useless.

as i said before the car doesnt go into open loop untill 5000rpm at times and full boost is had before 2500rpm, we could force open loop but that isnt what we want for a daily driver. i have been thinking a lot about this project.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #14
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Before you get too far, try one thing for me. (Something I wanted to try myself but forgot to before taking everything off...) Unplug the VVT-i solenoid and give it a go again. I was also going to close the gap on the plugs a bit thinking maybe the spark is getting blown out at higher RPM.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:38 AM   #15
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaru Steve View Post
larger compressor housing will help, but with that added air going through, there is more air that needs to go through the already too small turbine housing. that make the exhaust very restrictive and limits power. you can run 20psi, but the restriction from the exhaust will make the added boost pressure useless.

as i said before the car doesnt go into open loop untill 5000rpm at times and full boost is had before 2500rpm, we could force open loop but that isnt what we want for a daily driver. i have been thinking a lot about this project.
There's no reason why you can't open up the exhaust more. What's the downpipe / rest of the exhaust diameter?

I think it goes without saying you want the turbine a/r to be as small as possible though to get those ridiculous 2k rpm spool up times. However, you say you want more power in the top end, then state it's for a daily driver. You can somewhat have both, but which is more important to you?

As for the forced open loop tuning I can't stress enough how easy it is to deal with. I only have to make a couple tweaks when the weather gets substantially colder / hotter. Since I've already made a winter map and now am running a summer map, I shouldn't even need to do any tweaking next season.

Oh and also:
Quote:
spark is getting blown out at higher RPM.
If you have this problem you'll know it lol. At least I did. You can feel the "hesitation."
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:42 AM   #16
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Before you get too far, try one thing for me. (Something I wanted to try myself but forgot to before taking everything off...) Unplug the VVT-i solenoid and give it a go again. I was also going to close the gap on the plugs a bit thinking maybe the spark is getting blown out at higher RPM.
i shall do that, the one thing i did notice, since the car is not tuned, i have the wastegate lock wired 100% open. and as we get to 5000 rpm we hit 5psi.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #17
johnny_vitz

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
but didnt you say the tune from greddy left a lot on the table...?
The base map from Greddy was awful, that's why I was wondering if he had it properly tuned. It works awesome now, no bog anywhere and it pulls hard all the time
Old 06-29-2011, 12:19 AM   #18
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Quote:
There's no reason why you can't open up the exhaust more. What's the downpipe / rest of the exhaust diameter?
cast greddy manifold, dp is a belmouth cast 2-21/4, the rest is 2 1/4, 2 resinators and a straight through dynomax.

Quote:
I think it goes without saying you want the turbine a/r to be as small as possible though to get those ridiculous 2k rpm spool up times. However, you say you want more power in the top end, then state it's for a daily driver. You can somewhat have both, but which is more important to you?
need the top end because of the automatic, it sucks so bad when you stand on it, car downshifts and its not even in its power band. id rather it spool at 3k rpm and have the power up top.

Quote:
As for the forced open loop tuning I can't stress enough how easy it is to deal with. I only have to make a couple tweaks when the weather gets substantially colder / hotter. Since I've already made a winter map and now am running a summer map, I shouldn't even need to do any tweaking next season.
any tips on forcing open loop when entering boost? coolant temp wont work as car is set to shift at 4k rpm if its cold. any ideas would be great.
a 3psi trigger would be sweet.