Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Minor collision with my Yaris

So today I had a collision with my Yaris ... and well have a question that maybe someone can answer.

The only part of my car that needs replacement is the front bumper. The bumper I imagine would have to be painted as well.

So does anyone know the cost to replace the front bumper with painting on a 2007 Yaris LB ?
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Sorry to hear it but glad it wasn't any worse. What does your insurance policy cover, if you don't mind me asking?

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
edmscan

I have collision coverage on my Yaris. So .. I am covered.

The "other driver", didn't want to go thru insurance (as he is paying 160$/month for a older Toyota Minivan) , so we shall see how this works out in the end.

I am going to get 3-4 estimates in the next few days and I will then contact the other driver and see how we are going to deal with it.

The accident wasn't reported to police as there wasn't enough damage for them to be involved. If I am forced to go thru insurance then maybe I will be forced to get a police report.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
A rough guesstimate would be in the $500-$700 range (including the bumper cover).
Old 12-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryaris View Post
A rough guesstimate would be in the $500-$700 range (including the bumper cover).
I may have actually made a mistake .. referring to the "bumper cover" as the bumper.

I don't know much about what is what ... but the only part that I need is "bumper cover".

Last edited by edmscan; 12-07-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
I have collision coverage on my Yaris. So .. I am covered.

The "other driver", didn't want to go thru insurance (as he is paying 160$/month for a older Toyota Minivan) , so we shall see how this works out in the end.

I am going to get 3-4 estimates in the next few days and I will then contact the other driver and see how we are going to deal with it.

The accident wasn't reported to police as there wasn't enough damage for them to be involved. If I am forced to go thru insurance then maybe I will be forced to get a police report.
Sorry to hear about your accident, glad you are okay. I don't know how it works in Alberta, but in the U.S. (at least in California, with insurance companies I've had) if you get in an accident and it is the other person's fault (and the other person has insurance) you want to have the other person's insurance pay for it. Your insurance company will only increase your rate re an accident if they have to pay out (assuming you weren't cited for anything by law enforcement). If both of you were living in California and the other driver had no damage, and your damage was under $500, his desire to not have anything reported would be legal. Now that I think about it, I think some of the states in the Eastern U.S. have no fault car insurance. Even with Alberta being set up at least somewhat differently (from California) re insurance, if the other person is at fault I would want their insurance company paying if at all possible. I have compassion for other people's financial plights (to an extent), but that compassion wouldn't extend to car insurance premiums.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I have compassion for other people's financial plights (to an extent), but that compassion wouldn't extend to car insurance premiums.
Yes .. for me I am thankful that first there were no injuries, and secondly that there was only minor damage to my car.

So .. I spoke to a friend of mine and found out a good place to get my car fixed. So I am going there tomorrow. I will just get an estimate and then contact the other driver and tell him the cost. I will then attempt to collect the money from him.

If that fails, then I will contact my insurance company.
I will to some extent allow him to pay for the repairs to my car, and if that fails then I will go the normal route and go thru insurance.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Another option is to find one already painted. I just picked up a red one off ebay for Crashy 2 for $170 shipped, and it is in really nice shape.

I initially purchased an aftermarket unpainted one for $80 from a local parts place, and painted it myself, but the fit is off just enough to be annoying (for example, the upper and lower grills keep popping off their mounting tabs).
Old 12-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Another option is to find one already painted. I just picked up a red one off ebay for Crashy 2 for $170 shipped, and it is in really nice shape.

I initially purchased an aftermarket unpainted one for $80 from a local parts place, and painted it myself, but the fit is off just enough to be annoying (for example, the upper and lower grills keep popping off their mounting tabs).
Thanks for the input. I will be getting the OEM Toyota one to be sure that it fits.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
Quote:
I may have actually made a mistake .. referring to the "bumper cover" as the bumper.

I don't know much about what is what ... but the only part that I need is the part that you would take off when you are replacing the headlight bulbs. If this is the "bumper cover" then .... this is the only part I need.

I assume that the bumper cover needs painting as well.
I got you ......a new OEM Toyota fascia/bumper cover is in the $200 range and then there's the R&R, paint and labor to paint, etc. Depending on the shop you use it'll likely be at least $500 ($200 fascia + $300 paint & labor), but maybe more depending on who does the work.

Quality work is not cheap and since this was not your fault you want it repaired to as new condition, right? Once this guy realizes how much it will cost him he'll likely file a claim with his insurance. I hope you got his insurance info at the scene.....you may have to file a claim if/when he doesn't respond to your payment request after you get some estimates.

I had to get a new fascia & right front fender for my now deceased '09 hatchback back in June '09 and it totalled $1100 parts, paint & labor.

Good luck with everything....I hope this gets resolved to your liking.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #11
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryaris View Post
Good luck with everything....I hope this gets resolved to your liking.
Thanks, I will post the estimate information when I get it.

Just an FYI, a friend of mine got a rear bumper cover for his 2012 Prius C .. and it was $320.00 for the bumper cover part and painted. The only thing is that he was paying cash .. so that may have been cheaper than an insurance quote.

This is the same place where I am going tomorrow .. as they do excellent work.
I will post more .. as I get some estimates.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Yes .. for me I am thankful that first there were no injuries, and secondly that there was only minor damage to my car.

So .. I spoke to a friend of mine and found out a good place to get my car fixed. So I am going there tomorrow. I will just get an estimate and then contact the other driver and tell him the cost. I will then attempt to collect the money from him.

If that fails, then I will contact my insurance company.
I will to some extent allow him to pay for the repairs to my car, and if that fails then I will go the normal route and go thru insurance.
Good to know you have that kind of flexibility as your situation migrates into the future. From my experience in California, there isn't that level of flexibility.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Thanks, I will post the estimate information when I get it.

Just an FYI, a friend of mine got a rear bumper cover for his 2012 Prius C .. and it was $320.00 for the bumper cover part and painted. The only thing is that he was paying cash .. so that may have been cheaper than an insurance quote.

This is the same place where I am going tomorrow .. as they do excellent work.
I will post more .. as I get some estimates.
Interesting. I know re hospital charges here in the U.S., if you are paying cash the rate is higher for many things. Some hospitals though will end up eventually reversing out that higher rate on the final bill. I know I'm comparing apples and oranges, but I do find it interesting how paying cash influences different situations.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #14
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Interesting. I know re hospital charges here in the U.S., if you are paying cash the rate is higher for many things. Some hospitals though will end up eventually reversing out that higher rate on the final bill. I know I'm comparing apples and oranges, but I do find it interesting how paying cash influences different situations.
I am pretty certain that the price if you pay cash is going to be cheaper as compared to an insurance claim. I will ask tomorrow .. when I talk to the autobody guy re this, as it would be interesting to find out if there is a difference.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #15
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
To bad about your car . Hope the repairs go smooth . Someone with a S.U.V. or P/U put a small dent about 1/2 way up the rear driver side door . There was some paint and scuffing . Removed that with 90% rubbing alcohol . You'd be amazed what rubbing alcohol can remove . The ding is slightly visible at a certain angle and light . This is why we decided not to get the '08 sedan repaired after the collision with a S.U.V. that pulled out in front of us .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #16
edmscan

Well today has been an interesting day. I got 3 estimates to fix my car .. and all I know of is I am in the wrong business. I should be in the autobody business, what a racket.

So I get 3 estimates that are all within 50$ of each other, ranging from $1095 to $1150. There is a 6 inch crack in the "Front bumper cover". That is it. No other damage. Photos of the damage are attached.

So about $320 for the Front bumper cover part alone and about 800$ for labour and paint materials.

As I expected the other driver all of a sudden decides that he is not at fault and tells me to basically shove my car where the sun doesn't shine. So I contacted my insurance company and now it is an insurance issue.

According to the other drivers boss (who knows best cause "I used to be an insurance adjustor") because it was in a "parking lot" it is 50% my fault.
I will post where the accident happened to this post for you all to decide what you think.

The other driver (green arrow) was coming from the back of the Scotia Bank (you can see the ATM at the back of the building). I was proceeding towards the main road (towards the bottom of the picture, red arrow) driving towards the entrance way you see in the picture. He proceeded from the left in front of me (from behind the building) .. and I hit his vehicle (black star). The problem is cause the building is in the way ... there was absolutely no way for me to see him. I didn't even have time to hit my brakes or to swerve, it was just that fast.

I have added a couple of pics of the damage .. and sorry about the photography, besides as you can tell my car needs a wash, but in the winter time that is a total waste of time.

So I am interested in what you guys think .. as to who would be at fault ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScotiaBank.jpg (116.4 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0899.JPG (95.4 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0900.JPG (80.1 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by edmscan; 12-04-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:52 AM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
To bad about your car . Hope the repairs go smooth . Someone with a S.U.V. or P/U put a small dent about 1/2 way up the rear driver side door . There was some paint and scuffing . Removed that with 90% rubbing alcohol . You'd be amazed what rubbing alcohol can remove . The ding is slightly visible at a certain angle and light . This is why we decided not to get the '08 sedan repaired after the collision with a S.U.V. that pulled out in front of us .
Good to know about what rubbing alcohol can do . I have a scuff (about the size of 4 small postage stamps) near the left front wheel well on my Yaris, and another smaller scuff about 2 or so feet away on the rear view mirror casing (the one on the wheel well has been there for 2+ years ). I'll try rubbing alcohol on both scuffs.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:25 AM   #18
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
in california, that's fairly typical rates for a bumper replacement (through insurance)

as far as "who's at fault?" goes, that's a question of liability.

The main thing you got going for you is that you were in the "main thoroughfare" part of the parking lot. He was coming from the side. This gives you the right-of-way.
One detail I didn't see, and it's maybe because Im tired and it's late, is the point of impact to the other car. Which part of his car did you hit? Any claims adjuster/examiner worth a damn will want to know this.

If the damage was closer to the front of his/her car, it is more favorable to you. If it's more toward the back, it is more favorable to the other driver. Why?
Because if he pulled out enough to where you hit him/her toward the rear, then s/he was establishing "control" of the intersection.

It's not as easy as this, however, but that's almost what it boils down to.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote