Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-28-2024, 08:22 AM   #1
YarisLurker

Drives: Yaris
Drivers side axle seal replacement/Manual transmission

I have replaced the drivers side axle seal two times due to a leak. Second time I replaced the axle again, in case the axle seal ring was warped as a precaution. It leaks again. This has all been done in the last week BTW.

So now I am going to use the OEM toyota part in case the aftermarket National oil seal 710419 I was using is messed up by design. The only other thing I can think of that could cause this is that the seal is being driven in too far? Not sure if any dealership mechanics are on this forum but please let me know so that I can put this nightmare repair behind me! Thanks!
YarisLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 12:59 PM   #2
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
yes use oem seals, and pray that you didnt scratch the sealing surface when you removed the old seal, make sure the machined surface is nice and smooth and not sharp, if you have a scratch anywhere then take some sandpaper and smooth out the scratch and then put in the new axle seal, if that doesnt work, you can put a LIGHT smear of silicone sealant around the sanded area of the seal, that is a last resort before you need to replace the transmission case.
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 01:49 PM   #3
YarisLurker

Thank you for the input/insights. I never thought about checking inside the transmission seal area. I will do that.
When I replaced the seal the second time, also replaced the axle again just to be sure there wasn’t a bad spot on it.
What part of Arizona do you live in? I am near Tucson
Old 02-28-2024, 10:22 PM   #4
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
im down in phoenix towards the south of the valley, but what did you use to remove the old seal? if you stick a screw driver and pry it out you can very easily put a scratch around outer edge of the sealing surface, what i found with all seals i do now is i take a small machine screw and screw it into the seal and then use that as the prying point to get the seal out, that way you are not prying the seal surface and potentially damaging it, they also make a tool specificaly designed to pry out the seal and wont damage the surfaces.
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 10:43 PM   #5
YarisLurker

I used one of those seal removal tools.

Tags
manual transmission, t-50, t50