Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
NadPhone

Drives: Yaris Sedan
How to tighten handbrake cable? (Yaris Sedan)

I have a Toyota Yaris Sedan, and the handbrake cable is too loose.
Can anyone show me how to proceed to tighten it?

Thanking you in advance.
NadPhone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Remove rear wheels.

Do not remove the brake drum when doing this procedure.

Locate and remove a rubber grommet on the rear of the drum bracket. It is on top, very near the bleeder valve.

Stick something in there, like a flat screw driver, and push in to "click" the star wheel alignment adjuster. It sets the brake shoes a little closer to the drum, so the slack on your parking brake disappears. It also ensures the shoes are positioned to apply even pressure to the drum, so they wear evenly and work as they should.

Click 2 clicks at a time, and try to spin your drum by hand. After 4-5 clicks it should be harder to move freely, and you want to continue clicking the little wheel until it becomes almost impossible to move the drum by hand. You cannot remove the drum anymore once you've tightened it - it will take a few thousand miles of wear.

Reinstall grommet, and reinstall wheels.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
NadPhone

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Thank you Swidd for the reply.
NadPhone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:15 AM   #4
booza4life

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Hi guys, I had a quick question regarding the hand brake. My hand brake in my 2007 Yaris Sedan is really high, and barely holds the car on a slope. I have had the shoes and hardware replaced, however nothing else. Before I attempt to adjust it as mentioned above, could there be other parts that should be replaced (Wheel cylinder for example)?

Thanks!

Newb
booza4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:09 AM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I wouldn't recommend replacing the cylinder unless your current one is leaking. I always remove the drum to adjust the adjuster as I find it a huge pita to access through the hole in the back. I typically adjust the start adjuster by about 3 clicks at a time and stop when it is slightly difficult to put the drum back on. The drum should spin about a half to 3/4 turn on its own.

In my experience this allows about 1-3 clicks of the e brake for full engagement and it will slightly loosen up in the next 100km or so of driving. I always re adjust my rear brakes when I can get 4-5 or more clicks of the e brake. This is typically every 6 months or after a day at the track.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:55 AM   #6
booza4life

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Thanks for that! I was looking online to possibly purchase the parts. I will have it looked at for sure.
booza4life is offline   Reply With Quote