Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-23-2009, 02:27 AM   #1
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
I don't think fog lights will work as a backup... My old grand am had fog lights and the switch for the head lights went out, so i could only have on amber parking lights and my fog lights. The lights were too low and barely illuminated 10 feet in front of the car (dimly)... maybe if they were VERY bright (do they make projector fog lights?) it might work, but in my grand am, limping home was a miserable experience...

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Drives: 2 2007 Yaris 3 door liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDefeat View Post
I don't think fog lights will work as a backup... My old grand am had fog lights and the switch for the head lights went out, so i could only have on amber parking lights and my fog lights. The lights were too low and barely illuminated 10 feet in front of the car (dimly)... maybe if they were VERY bright (do they make projector fog lights?) it might work, but in my grand am, limping home was a miserable experience...
Thanks for the info. They do make different types of after market kit fog lights. All I have seen are meant as replacement units for already installed fog lights. A few kits are meant to be mounted on the bumper or behind the grill giving greater area coverage.

As someone on this forum likes to day, just do it. So I ordered the fog lamp kits from MicroImage. Support the forum type of act. Even if OE fog lamps (or after market copies of Toyota parts), are not bright enough to do the job, and I need to add a second set of fog, LED or head light lamps behind the grill to do the job properly, I still need the wiring harness, instructions, and switch for the dash for the fog lamps. I just hope that the dash switch and wiring are thick enough to handle a second set of lights.

Last edited by ellenbetty; 08-23-2009 at 04:37 PM.
ellenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Run it throught the factory wiring for the first set ,
when and if you put a secound set in worry about the new wiring then
personally i think you will be fine with just the OEM set up .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote