Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #55
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Hmm, that's a stumper...

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:25 PM   #56
deadworld

Drives: 2007 4dr yaris
batteries exploding will just corrode not cause fire unless it corrodes smtg to start fire
deadworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #57
purpleminx

Drives: '08 5DR Silver Yaris HB
For anyone who wanted to know, I heard back from Toyota yesterday. What they told me was along the lines of, "Toyota is not at fault, but we don't know what is" so I asked them if they had ripped the dash apart to take a look inside. The answer was no.

Apparantly all they did was look at it, look at the fuse box, and decide they had nothing to do with it. They said if I wanted more than that, I'd have to talk my insurance company, which is nonsensical. It's as if they don't want to prove that it was them, they want someone else to do it.

The insurance company has taken the car back to its assessment centre. They're not happy. They're calling in an electrician and an engineer. The saga continues!
purpleminx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #58
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleminx View Post
For anyone who wanted to know, I heard back from Toyota yesterday. What they told me was along the lines of, "Toyota is not at fault, but we don't know what is" so I asked them if they had ripped the dash apart to take a look inside. The answer was no.

Apparantly all they did was look at it, look at the fuse box, and decide they had nothing to do with it. They said if I wanted more than that, I'd have to talk my insurance company, which is nonsensical. It's as if they don't want to prove that it was them, they want someone else to do it.

The insurance company has taken the car back to its assessment centre. They're not happy. They're calling in an electrician and an engineer. The saga continues!

From my experience with analyzing catastrophic electrical failures on machinery, the origin is typically where the maximum amount of charring (or complete combustion of combustible material) has occurred. In your case it looks like that point is the area completely devoid of plastic, directly left of the radio volume knob by approximately 15cm.

I still want to see what is under that part of the dash on the "down under" Yaris. Can someone else from Australia snap some pictures up under the dash (Lay on the floor and snap a few up in the area mentioned above)?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #59
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Were you listening to an AC/DC music, or maybe Judas Priest?
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #60
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
I know that alot of us are interested in this topic. Thanks for the update.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #61
floydisrock
73 Centurion droptop 455

Drives: 2009 S Sedan
Quote:

Care to share who your insurance company is?
Old 11-08-2008, 06:38 AM   #62
purpleminx

Drives: '08 5DR Silver Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydisrock View Post
Care to share who your insurance company is?
AAMI
purpleminx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:44 AM   #63
Mordarvia

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
Cigarettes in the ashtray. I know they may be out and had nothing to do with the fire. but as soon as the dealership see's that. Your automatically at fault in there eyes. I'm a smoker man I know how it feels. But I don't smoke in the car thats just gross :). Same thing lets say your house goes up in flames because your stove was screwed. If the insurance company finds out your a smoker its a 10X more hassle getting cash from them. Just reality
Mordarvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:12 PM   #64
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordarvia View Post
Cigarettes in the ashtray. I know they may be out and had nothing to do with the fire. but as soon as the dealership see's that. Your automatically at fault in there eyes. I'm a smoker man I know how it feels. But I don't smoke in the car thats just gross :). Same thing lets say your house goes up in flames because your stove was screwed. If the insurance company finds out your a smoker its a 10X more hassle getting cash from them. Just reality
An electrical fire is totally different than a non-electrical fire.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:08 PM   #65
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Quote:
First off, sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place.

I'm a new poster who's looking for some idea or advice on what happened to my own little 2006 Yaris. I figured the people here were the best to ask considering Toyota hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Long story short... On Thursday when I returned to a car park somebody told me my car was on fire. When the fire department got there they said that it was an electrical fire, and that they couldn't pinpoint what started it.

I KNOW that I left NOTHING in the car that could have done this, and I've NEVER installed anything in the car. All services have been done by Toyota. A friend suggested that a short circuit sparked, lit the synthetic carpet on fire which then set the dash alight.

The windshield shattered and the entire car is smoke damaged. I have a pretty wicked tint job going on right now.

If anyone here has seen this before, or heard of it before, or knows just exactly what Toyota will do considering it's still under warranty (and definitely a write off), I'd greatly appreciate their input.
Any news yet of what caused it?

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:17 PM   #66
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Take the dealership to court. Shouldn't be too hard of a sell to win your case.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #67
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
probably your cabin air filter clogged up.....
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:39 AM   #68
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
Did the flashlight use Lithium batteries?
I have a small Streamlight Scorpion in my glovebox right now. I left it on while it was standing upright on it's lens on a table, the lens started to melt! Those lights run HOT. After seeing this, I'm removing my Scorp from the car in the morning.....
I'd check to see that your Scorp is legit. IIRC, they have a glass lense.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #69
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
About the Streamlight;
The lens appears to be a clear plastic of some sort. I bought it from Texas Tactical Supply, it's the real deal. Nice torch, but it eats through Li batts. like crazy....
After reading this thread, I went right to the glovebox and removed it from the YARIS.
I'll be using an LED MiniMag from now on.
Attached Images

auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #70
rob323
Don't drive it, RALLY it!

Drives: 1999 echo PRC rally car
Purpleminx, any updates on whether the cause of the fire was pinpointed yet?
rob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:26 PM   #71
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
About the Streamlight;
The lens appears to be a clear plastic of some sort. I bought it from Texas Tactical Supply, it's the real deal. Nice torch, but it eats through Li batts. like crazy....
After reading this thread, I went right to the glovebox and removed it from the YARIS.
I'll be using an LED MiniMag from now on.
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/cosll7742.html

I am a mechanic and keep this on my belt every day. Lasts about 2 weeks before i needs to be charged. Keep in mind it has daily use sometimes for a hour at a time. And have had it for a year so far. Battery hasnt really got weak yet. And its insanely bright. Its dropped on the floor multiple times and got run over by a car too =).
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:41 PM   #72
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordarvia View Post
I'm a smoker man I know how it feels. But I don't smoke in the car thats just gross :).

lol and smoking in general isnt?