Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-07-2018, 11:31 PM   #1
Cookiedoughjunkie

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2011
Using a cartop carrier

Hello, I've been using my 2011 yaris for long distance trips.

Last time I took 2 other people with me. Usually this isn't a problem, however one of them decided they wanted/had to have a lot of stuff that made the drive pretty rough.

I'm wondering if a cartop carrier can be used. There's no rack on the top and it is a 2 door. Is there one that can still be used on a car this small?
Cookiedoughjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:02 AM   #2
scylla

Drives: 2015 Yaris L
There are cartop racks for a yaris, but are pretty damn pricey. Myself, I just went with a trailer hitch. My 2015 has the holes already built in for a hitch from the factory.

Took me 20 min. to install and I have found it to be much more versatile than a roof rack, plus it doesn't touch your paint and cause scratches. So far I have both a hitch mounted cargo carrier and a hitch mounted bike carrier. Both work like a dream.

I saw a hitch install video where the guy actually towed a trailer and 2 dirt bikes with his Yaris.
scylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:29 AM   #3
Cookiedoughjunkie

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by scylla View Post
There are cartop racks for a yaris, but are pretty damn pricey. Myself, I just went with a trailer hitch. My 2015 has the holes already built in for a hitch from the factory.

Took me 20 min. to install and I have found it to be much more versatile than a roof rack, plus it doesn't touch your paint and cause scratches. So far I have both a hitch mounted cargo carrier and a hitch mounted bike carrier. Both work like a dream.

I saw a hitch install video where the guy actually towed a trailer and 2 dirt bikes with his Yaris.
Thanks for the response, however I lack a trailer to be able to pull with the yaris which would be an added cost.

and I just looked it up, I'd never expect a Yaris to be able to pull that much weight! (also, it might not be a good idea since part of this will be in the mountainous region of Pennsylvania...where there might be a lot of traffic so no initial inertia to keep pulling it when you gotta stop and go going up high inclines.
Cookiedoughjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote