Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Smoked tail lights: film, paint or replace?

I've done a fair amount of reviewing various threads regarding smoked tail lights. Here's a summary of what I've come up with so far:

Film - I like the film from Lamin-x since it's pre-cut and they include everything you need to do the job. Their on-line video makes it look like a piece of cake to install. I know you can buy just the vinyl and make your own from a sheet, but I like the pre-cut myself. Concerns with film are cracking, bubbling, peeling and fading. Anything else?

Paint - I've read that for some folks it's cracked/peeled, faded or it still looks great. Airbrushed for best results? Not sure what the difference is. I'm not as familiar with what would be a high quality smoked paint. I believe for best results a clear coat should be applied too. Maintenance? Apply some wax with UV protectant periodically?

Replacement tail lights - the most expensive option, but easy to put back your originals if need be. Probably can get LED ones too, although I've not really looked to see what Sedan options there are.

For those people that have done film or paint, how long ago did you do it and how does it look today? Would you make the same choice again or do something different? For the replacement tail light crowd (Sedans), feel free to post some pics, I'm still haven't commited to going one way or the other.

Thanks for the feedback!

YarisWorld rocks!
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
Herbicidal

Bump. Anyone?
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
My headlights were done with transparent paint in a body shop booth. They have lasted over a year with no problems at all, and I got exactly the shade I wanted. Also, it's the cleanest look.

I also sell this, which you might be able to find a review or DIY on somewhere on the internet:
http://shop.microimageonline.com/pro...&categoryId=12
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
Herbicidal

So with that product, do you just keep applying coats until you get the desired level of smokedness? Has anyone else on the forum bought/used this paint from you? Easy to touch up? Just curious about the results and longevity of the product.

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
puetato89
Just call me Ray, better?

Drives: 08 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to puetato89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
My headlights were done with transparent paint in a body shop booth. They have lasted over a year with no problems at all, and I got exactly the shade I wanted. Also, it's the cleanest look.
i did my tail lights with trasnperent black, its a whole lot cleaner, doesnt fade(if done right), and had mine for over a 1 1/2, dont know how much a body shop will charge but ive been doing them for a while for $50, but im almost out of that paint, i need 2 get some more

puetato89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by puetato89 View Post
i did my tail lights with trasnperent black, its a whole lot cleaner, doesnt fade(if done right), and had mine for over a 1 1/2, dont know how much a body shop will charge but ive been doing them for a while for $50, but im almost out of that paint, i need 2 get some more
Do you have a brand of paint that you use? What do you do to prep the tail lights for paint? Just use a cleaner? Wet sanding?

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #7
Prohibit
Verbieten Sie

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Prohibit Send a message via MSN to Prohibit Send a message via Yahoo to Prohibit
I used VHT NiteShades that you can get at auto zone, o'reillys, advancedautoparts, etc. Took one can, wetsanded it, sprayed it, all done. looks good. lights still shine through fine. $15's all together.

Hatchback Purist? Be sure to drop in and register. New forum with a great clean design and potential.
Prohibit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prohibit View Post
I used VHT NiteShades that you can get at auto zone, o'reillys, advancedautoparts, etc. Took one can, wetsanded it, sprayed it, all done. looks good. lights still shine through fine. $15's all together.
Nice! I really like the paint job on your car. How's the paint holding up on the tail lights?
Old 10-07-2009, 03:52 PM   #9
Prohibit
Verbieten Sie

Send a message via AIM to Prohibit Send a message via MSN to Prohibit Send a message via Yahoo to Prohibit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
Nice! I really like the paint job on your car. How's the paint holding up on the tail lights?
Hey thanks man, it's holding up really well. It's only been tinted for a month or two though. I plan on buying the RS tails eventually, so i figured i'd butcher these tails for experience

But they actually came out pretty good.

I think I did 2 coats. 3 at the max.

Hatchback Purist? Be sure to drop in and register. New forum with a great clean design and potential.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Best thing to do if you want it to actually last is wetsand with 1500 grit and soapy water and go to a paint store and have them mix a hint of black tint into some clearcoat then just spray the clearcoat with a hvlp gun 1 coat at a time until desired darkness is achieved.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #11
Herbicidal

Thanks PHXDEMON. So far everyone on this thread has gone the "paint" route.

Anyone have experience with "film" and care to chime in?
Old 10-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #12
AND189
Banned

Drives: 2
get the new ones mate they look good you cant stuff them plug and play no problems
AND189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #13
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AND189 View Post
get the new ones mate they look good you cant stuff them plug and play no problems
Hi there! Do you mean get new tail lights, already smoked?
Old 10-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #14
wiirenet

Drives: Black '09 2dr HB
Send a message via MSN to wiirenet
I had my tails smoked with spray paint in a can. Not sure what kind, but it was for smoking lights. We only did 3 coats, that's what the can said we should do max. And it doesn't look good. It just looks like the lights are dirty, they're not 'black.' I'm worried if I add more coats it will block out too much light. Plus I don't know what paint can was used.
wiirenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #15
Prohibit
Verbieten Sie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiirenet View Post
I had my tails smoked with spray paint in a can. Not sure what kind, but it was for smoking lights. We only did 3 coats, that's what the can said we should do max. And it doesn't look good. It just looks like the lights are dirty, they're not 'black.' I'm worried if I add more coats it will block out too much light. Plus I don't know what paint can was used.
Pretty sure that is VHT Nite Shades.

It's one of the most popular ones, and the back of the can says do not exceed 3 coats.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #16
wiirenet

Drives: Black '09 2dr HB
Send a message via MSN to wiirenet
Would you have any advice on that? Or anyone else? Will it really ruin light visibility if I add more coats?
wiirenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #17
Herbicidal

I wonder if you do a wet sand with 1500 grit (or higher) paper and then apply a clear coat if that would give a 'cleaner' look.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #18
Mouse

Drives: 2007 MX5
I used the lamin-x on my MX-5. I was very pleased with the result. I've had the lights like that for more than 2 years with no problems. The vinyl is 20 mil I think. It's pretty thick. It's not like tints. I would say it's as thick as the plastic rear window I had on my previous miatas.

Here are some pics.

First Installed:

6-months after installation:

2-years after installation:

Random pics:

Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote