Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-30-2017, 08:48 AM   #19
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
head gasket spark plug read coolant code

At the beginning of a coolant ingestion head gasket failure, the car can still run great. Spark plug will look cleaner/whiter than the others. Miss at startup may set code...I know nothing of code-setting.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:33 AM   #20
ncp13

Drives: 01 Yaris TS
That is very true. You should notice coolant loss.
ncp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:42 PM   #21
Elwe2k
XP10 Enthusiast

Drives: 2000 Echo Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp13 View Post
If you still have a misfire with P0301 try to follow the diagnostic proccedure

You said that your mechanic swaped injectors and that did not change anything correct? So that tells us that the injector was ok.

Swap the coils from the misfiring cylinder with another one 2 or 3 or 4.
Cylinder 1 is closest to your timing chain or oil fill cap.

If your DTC changes to P030( the cyl# from where you swapped the coil) you have your bad coil.

Another common failure is Coil failure from oil leak to the injector coils. You will see when you remove them if they are filled with oil.

And the if you still have no luck do a leak down test , or a compression test on the cylinder that gives you the DTC. If you get low reading you then have a misfire from low compression on that cylinder.

If you poor a little oil on that cylinder and the compression goes up its usually piston rings.. or cylider damage. If nothing changes with the oil the source of the low compression is further up from the valves. ( burned or bend valve, etc.. )

That is very true. You should notice coolant loss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
At the beginning of a coolant ingestion head gasket failure, the car can still run great. Spark plug will look cleaner/whiter than the others. Miss at startup may set code...I know nothing of code-setting.
Going to check those coils again. Now that you mention it, i'm loosing a bit of coolant. I have to refill sometimes with water. I'll check on coolant leaks as well.

Checked underneath the car and the oil pan has a little leak near the oil screw, maybe that's causing that oil leak too... A bad gasket perhaps.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:42 PM   #22
dogsridewith

Head Gasket

What shows at seams and surfaces further down the engine can be oil coming down from the head gasket...they fail at varying rates various places. The pressurized passage for head oil on my Corolla was off the right side of #1...the cylinder that had the worst coolant leak in the HG failure. And oil wept oil down that side of the engine.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:42 AM   #23
miiser

Drives: yaris 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
here is one from LKQ. they are a pretty reliable company. 26,000mi $400+ shipping ($200) there is LOTS of these out there. old people would buy them and just drive around town.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Toyota-...NYfSRq&vxp=mtr

There is no way a motor like this, so new (2010), 1,5l and only 26.000 miles to be so cheap. Also there is no way, to give only 6 month warranty on such a new engine.
It's too cheap to be true. All the companies lies. Even the reliable ones. They just open the motor, they clean it, they change some damaged parts and you can't tell if its 20.000 mile engine or 100.000 mile engine or even worse. There is absolute no way. Trust me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:48 AM   #24
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by miiser View Post
There is no way a motor like this, so new (2010), 1,5l and only 26.000 miles to be so cheap. Also there is no way, to give only 6 month warranty on such a new engine.
It's too cheap to be true. All the companies lies. Even the reliable ones. They just open the motor, they clean it, they change some damaged parts and you can't tell if its 20.000 mile engine or 100.000 mile engine or even worse. There is absolute no way. Trust me.
Be careful drawing conclusions based on North American vs European markets. These things are not big ticket items over here.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #25
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Very true, and 1nz's in North America are easy to come by and no in high demand due to their reliabikity, this keeps the costs low.

I picked up my 2zr with 89k km on it from a 2011 corolla at my local Recyclers for $600.

It's true you don't know the exact mileage on it and they could be lying but a large well know recycler that has a good reputation and wants to keep it will likely not be messing around with the mileage. Even more unlikely if they have a handful of those engines for sale with varying mileage and price. Take a look at other engines they sell, if they're all very low km's and none have high km's with a lower price then there is a higher chance they're bs the mileage.

When I stripped my engine down to the block everything looked great and exactly as it should've for its mileage. They give oil pressure ratings, oil consumption and compression. (although I'm not too sure how they would measure that in a totalled car)
Old 02-01-2017, 04:00 PM   #26
dogsridewith

Total, totaled used engines miles value

Lots of totaled cars run well. Some even drive OK or fine. Push a front corner enough to dent the front of the door and crack the windshield. Often, that's totaled.
It's just cost to fix is more than value fixed.
(Or could be really hammered in the rear, but still able to drag itself around the lot in low gear(s).)
Old 02-01-2017, 10:25 PM   #27
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
The 1nzfe was going for about 500$ CAD 12 years ago. Complete with transmission for an Echo.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2017, 10:07 PM   #28
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
Lots of totaled cars run well. Some even drive OK or fine. Push a front corner enough to dent the front of the door and crack the windshield. Often, that's totaled.
It's just cost to fix is more than value fixed.
(Or could be really hammered in the rear, but still able to drag itself around the lot in low gear(s).)
I just got mine back from the body shop, rear hammering. I can't believe they didn't total it out! they did $4600 in repairs! on an 07! i'm so happy I get to keep it.

most big recyclers have an engine dyno that they do their testing on. they do not need the car for testing. I would trust their millage because they have like 50 of them for sale. they are a good company and have good representation.
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:21 PM   #29
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post

most big recyclers have an engine dyno that they do their testing on.
Ahh I see, I've always wondered how people bench test their engines, what would a set up like that consist of?