Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-20-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Thumbs up How to Calculate MPG/KPL

I find it amazing that there is not a sticky thread in the Fuel Economy Forum on how to calculate MPG/KPL.

Here is a link that explains everything.

How to calculate MPG/KPL

P.s. Can a mod sticky this please.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:13 AM   #2
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
i've been trying this but notice when the pump "pops", its always at a different point. like i was going by the first pop but when i got in, i wasn't even at the full line, thoughts?
Old 12-29-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
Yarrris-Wench
Keep To The Code

Drives: Red 2009 Toyo Yaris- Isabella
Send a message via AIM to Yarrris-Wench
could be an air pocket or something... It used to happen all the time on my old impala. Thats the only thing i can think of.
Tail Lights, HIDs, Tint, Rear Speaker Box & Amp(Boom Boom :P)

Yarrris-Wench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
HerrDeacon

Drives: Q
Are there any online sites where you can keep a log of your gas purchases and such, and it will keep track of everything and calculate it for you?
HerrDeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
http://www.gassavers.org/
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #6
HerrDeacon

Drives: Q
Excellent, thanks.
HerrDeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrDeacon View Post
Excellent, thanks.

de nada
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:25 AM   #8
KrazyDawg

Drives: 08 3dr LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrDeacon View Post
Are there any online sites where you can keep a log of your gas purchases and such, and it will keep track of everything and calculate it for you?
I keep track on 4 different sites. They all have a slightly different presentation but you can aways use the notes section. It has a maximum character limit on fueleconomy.

The sites I use are http://www.cleanmpg.com http://www.fueleconomy.gov http://www.gassavers.org and http://www.gasbuddy.com
KrazyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:47 AM   #9
michaelmast

Drives: red
Hey, thank you for the sites, normally i calculate the fuel, first i full the tank them at the end of the day i compare how many gas do i used and the kilometers and them full the tank again, divide all this info and the equals ios the same of KPL/MPG
Old 04-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #10
Falconeer
Bayou Blue Pearl.

Drives: Yaris 5D Liftback Full Options
I get only 500 KMS of mixed driving with the AC on, on a full tank of gas. Yeah gas is cheap here though at about AED 50 to a full tank, that about US$ 15. and is company paid!
I'd still like to see some better figures though.
BOSCH 8000k HID Headlights, BOSCH 8000k HID Fog Lights. BOSCH Horn. 30% tint all round. 70% Tint mirror-finish tint on front wind shield. TRD Leather Shift Knob, Leather Steering Wheel, TRD Emblem. Height adjustable driver's seat is cool! and... That great armrest from ebay
Falconeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:19 PM   #11
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconeer View Post
I get only 500 KMS of mixed driving with the AC on, on a full tank of gas. Yeah gas is cheap here though at about AED 50 to a full tank, that about US$ 15. and is company paid!
I'd still like to see some better figures though.
how new is your car? my 2010 was getting about that when i first got it, between oil change and warmer weather and summer gas i'm getting really close to 600km per tank. average about 540ish
Old 04-12-2010, 06:50 AM   #12
Falconeer
Bayou Blue Pearl.

Drives: Yaris 5D Liftback Full Options
Well mine is a 2008, but has only 30K Kms on it. Now that I have it all to me, I am driving it to work and sites daily. Say about 600 Kms a week easy. I refuel about every 4 days.
But, the warm weather is not starting to get hot here and this week with the ac on and a good cabin load and cargo, I have 430 kms with two bars remaining. So say about 500 for the tank again with the ac and full load.

I am thinking of getting that eco-meter thing they have for reducing fuel consumption. Perhaps its my driving style that I never get good mileage. But I guess my wife's Maxima needs it more than my Yaris does!!!!

I always refill at the last bar and at gas priced at AED 6.25 per Gallon ($ 1.70) and I pay AED 55 ($ 14.95) for a full tank, that comes to only 8.80 Gallons!
I still have over 2 gallons in reserve at the last bar?????
BOSCH 8000k HID Headlights, BOSCH 8000k HID Fog Lights. BOSCH Horn. 30% tint all round. 70% Tint mirror-finish tint on front wind shield. TRD Leather Shift Knob, Leather Steering Wheel, TRD Emblem. Height adjustable driver's seat is cool! and... That great armrest from ebay
Falconeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #13
jeeper5usa

Drives: 2011 Toyota Yaris
Android App?

Is there an Android App for caluclating and logging MPG?
jeeper5usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #14
cst

Drives: 2009 sedan MT barcelona red
gas cubby

I just started using the Gas Cubby app for iPhone. It seems very comprehensive and lets you record maintenance data. Not sure if it is available for android.

cst
cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #15
RickSWEF

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback
How I calculate

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
i've been trying this but notice when the pump "pops", its always at a different point. like i was going by the first pop but when i got in, i wasn't even at the full line, thoughts?
Just to answer your question. If you don't top off and hang the nozzle up after it clicks off, it will be different every time. Each pump has a different speed that it pumps fuel out. This means trapped air escapes better on slower pumps and the nozzle doesn't click off so soon, and you get more fuel in your tank. If you top off your tank, you can get more consistently filled tanks.

I created a spreadsheet to calculate my mpg per fill-up. It also tells how much I spend per fill-up, per month and per year.
When I fill up, I write down the mileage that I got since the previous fill-up and write that on my receipt. I use the Trip A to tell me my mileage. I zero it out after I fill up, so next time it tells me exactly how far I got on that tank (I use the Trip B for oil change mileage).
I use the receipt info and the mileage that I wrote down to fill out the spreadsheet and it does the rest.
It took a little work to set up the spreadsheet, but once setup, it's terrific.
RickSWEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:14 PM   #16
cparker

Drives: 2014 Yaris L
What I'd like to know is if anyone has compared the trip computer mpg reading with calculating mpg the other way , total miles per trip divided by gallons used. 2014 Yaris L comes with a trip computer standard, and I think some other similar years as well. When I refill in a week, I'm going to make the comparison.

Well, here it is, a week later and I've refueled . The trip computer says 33.8 mpg average . I do a comparison with my figures and calculator and come up with 33.9 mpg . So I'm happy the trip computer is more accurate than I thought it would be . This was mostly city with brief highway and expressway driving. That compares with 28 mpg , doing the same in my 2003 Honda Civic.

Last edited by cparker; 04-23-2016 at 06:26 AM.
cparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:26 PM   #17
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
In my experience the trip computer usually overestimates by about 1-2 MPG. It varies. If it is a highway tank it is usually pretty close, but stop and go city traffic seems to screw with the computer calculations and there is usually a bigger gap between the computer estimate and the real pen and paper numbers.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:08 PM   #18
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I manually calculated mine each week (for two separate weeks during the mild Arizona winter and no A/C) a few months ago and the manual calculation average was 41.X MPG versus the computer stating that the weekly average was 40.X MPG for each of those weeks. The computer seems accurate enough that I don't sweat it any more.

Also, for the record - on weeks with no A/C running, the MPG average was about 2 MPG more than it was in the summer out here with the A/C running.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote