Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Do you regret getting the AT?
YES 7 20.00%
NO 28 80.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #19
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Kevin. View Post
Manuals need clutch replacement etc while autos can go and grind teeth
All else equal, manuals:

Give you full control over which gear you're in
Give you engine braking
Have less frictional losses
Are lighter in weight
Internals will longer, not counting the clutch
Usually handle higher power levels
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #20
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

Drives: 09YarisSedan, 94Truck22re
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperoni View Post
All else equal, manuals:

Internals will longer, not counting the clutch
I just read about a toyota truck owner that had 258k on original clutch, this was coming from the Toyota owner's website, of course there is no way to prove validity, but if true, that says a lot.
NZ-FE Vios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #21
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.
Implying it isn't completely worn but he just kept it on because he can.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #22
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

Correct.

I've had clutches fail before and when they fail, it is near impossible to drive the car unless going downhill. If he is truly on original clutch, it must still be doing what it is required to do to function properly. Of course it has worn over all those miles, but engines wear as well, just because it has wear doesn't mean that it requires replacement or we'd all be continuously replacing all parts on vehicles.

A clutch is also considered a wearable part as are brakes and tires. If you burn your clutch under warranty, they won't replace it as it *should* last longer than 120k miles as it is never specified in factory maintenance manual as needing replacement. Longevity is based upon the quality of the driver.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:20 AM   #23
Mikeey01nzl
91octane $2.24nzd / litre

Drives: 05 5d 1.3 CVT
No never......
It's the wifes car, she gets into it at the end of a hard days work and puts it into D, no brainer for her. O BTW it's a CVT too.

Fuel economy is a small price to pay for ease of driving for her.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:36 AM   #24
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ-FE Vios View Post
I just read about a toyota truck owner that had 258k on original clutch, this was coming from the Toyota owner's website, of course there is no way to prove validity, but if true, that says a lot.
my mom had a 87 corolla that she went 14 years on oem clutch, it only had just shy of 200,000km. it is possible but as i see my clutch i defenatly wont get to 200,000 on this oem clutch, it really is a shit clutch imo.

i will drive MT as long as i can and i really loved the yaris MT vs AT
Old 05-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #25
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
My 1988 Toyota truck's clutch had 180,000 miles on it when I had to have it replaced only because my rear seal was leaking and contaminated the clutch. And this even after I had burned it twice (lots of smoke and smell).
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:11 PM   #26
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
everytime i get smell from mine (not often and not alot) im so scared, lol

i have never gotten smoke
Old 05-17-2011, 08:09 AM   #27
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
At one time in my life I thought that I would never own an auto. Now that I am an old fart I don't think that I will ever drive a stick again.

Had shoulder surgery 8 weeks ago on the right side and the auto was blessing. Not sure that I would have been able to drive a stick.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #28
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
My 1988 Toyota truck's clutch had 180,000 miles on it when I had to have it replaced only because my rear seal was leaking and contaminated the clutch. And this even after I had burned it twice (lots of smoke and smell).
I had an 88 Sr5 truck that had 200,000 miles on the clutch when it was sold. A friend who put on oversize tires only got 65,000 on his clutch. Early clutch failure is due to people not knowing how to drive a clutch.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #29
yaryarbing
Budget Buster

Drives: 2007 Polar White Sedan
I drove a MT LB as a rental before purchasing a 2007 AT Sedan.

My only beef with the AT is not shifting beyond 2nd until the engine heats up. It is annoying on cold mornings. Plenty of threads discussing this...

I was pleasantly surprised to get great mileage with the AT (49 MPG plus).

MTs can be fun to drive, but the AT sure is convenient.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #30
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
Early clutch failure is due to people not knowing how to drive a clutch.
I, reluctantly and embarassingly, have to agree... In my first manual car, a 1979 Celica, the clutch only lasted 85,000miles. My 1999 Miata has 175,000 miles and is still on the original clutch although it is starting to feel like it will be going pretty soon.

By the time I got my second manual vehicle (the 1988 truck), I had learned to heel-and-toe and I wonder if that helped save the clutch quite a bit...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:17 PM   #31
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Double clutching also saves the clutch. No riding it, as well. The only time I wish I didn't have a manual is in traffic- but I avoid most traffic so it's all
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #32
schume

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB
I prefer a MT on most vehicles, but I purposely bought my Yaris with the AT. I do a lot of freeway driving, but every once in a while, I get caught in Seattle stop-and-go traffic. Going through that with a MT is enough to make anyone crazy.

I'll take the MPG hit (if there is any) for the comfort of driving the auto. I must say, it is a nice shifting transmission.
schume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #33
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
I also wish there was a sixth speed. Would not have gone for an AT, MT is always a requirement in vehicle purchases for me.

Hate to chime in and derail but I beg to differ. What evidence do you have to prove that ATs last longer? Sounds like you are making a rash generalization. I've seen a lot of cars that were put by the wayside because the AT failed.

Fact: MTs are easier to work on.

I would not think twice about dropping and rebuilding a MT, but would never consider attempting to rebuild an AT.

here's my generalization:
MTs will almost always outlive it's AT counterpart IF driven properly by a competent driver.

However I do respect and understand why one would prefer an AT over MT. To each their own.
I would say that my comment is based upon almost 40 years of experience as a driver and my experience as a motor pool officer in the Army. AT's rarely need any maintenance until well over the 100K miles. Most manuals need to have a clutch replacement somewhere near the 50 to 60K mile mark. You might be correct that the driver's ability to use the clutch has a significant impact on the length of longevity, but on average, the AT will last longer and cost less in maintenance. Also, the AT raises the value of the vehicle when it comes to resell.

In the end, its all relative to what you think and believe. You obviously have a different opinion as do I. In our own worlds, we can both be correct!

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #34
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
I drive my MT Yaris from San Diego to Los Angeles and back 2-3 times a week(about 280 miles round trip). It takes me 2.5 hours to get there and about 3.25 hours to get home...I wouldn't trade the MT for an auto, especially now that I have the complete short shift kit.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:17 AM   #35
Zebra

Drives: Yaris HB
During the cold days I absolutely hate waiting for my engine to warm up and allow the AT into higher gears. On those days, I would love to have a MT. With that exception, AT is just fine for me.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:47 AM   #36
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
I would say that my comment is based upon almost 40 years of experience as a driver and my experience as a motor pool officer in the Army. AT's rarely need any maintenance until well over the 100K miles. Most manuals need to have a clutch replacement somewhere near the 50 to 60K mile mark. You might be correct that the driver's ability to use the clutch has a significant impact on the length of longevity, but on average, the AT will last longer and cost less in maintenance. Also, the AT raises the value of the vehicle when it comes to resell.

In the end, its all relative to what you think and believe. You obviously have a different opinion as do I. In our own worlds, we can both be correct!
Very interesting. As Americans AT definitely does help resale value (automatic is an optional extra, creating greater initial cost and value). I know some 50somethings that have never driven MT, I'm glad you have.

As a Motor Pool Officer, what did you do specifically and what do U.S. Army motor pool consist of? What do they buy in MT? Do you think that the MTs would be especially dogged due to having many drivers (and ones that don't regularly drive MT) or are most vehicles assigned to one driver for most of its use? Do you think a Motor Pool Officer in a European Countries' Army would say the opposite (conjecture, but due to Europeans buying mainly MT)?

As for maintenance, yea I'd rather pull a dipstick and check ATF in comparison to the unbolting check bolt and fingering gearbox, anyday.

What do you think about higher end cars (mercedes-benz, etc) that have the MT as an optional extra?

I appreciate your position and insights as I've never had correspondence with someone who worked with pools of motors. Cheers