Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-10-2016, 01:23 AM   #19
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I posted this in another thread, but posting it here also for those who are searching for information on the 2015/2016 Yaris SE, with regards to installing a TRD rear-sway-bar.

----------------------------------------------------------

My mod-adept nephew and myself just installed the TRD rear-sway-bar on my 2015 this evening after work.

Some notes regarding the 2015/2016 versus the 2012-2014 SE: My SE didn't have any “rear axle beam dynamic dampers” in the secondary bolt-holes (they were empty), so either the design was tweaked some between 2012-2014 and the 2015 refresh as to not require them any more, or some French guy/gal forgot to install the ones on my Yaris. Thus, the "2007-2011" TRD rear-sway-bar is 100% plug-and-play right out the box on the 2015/2016 SE also, using the Toyota/TRD supplied bolts.

I treated my nephew to dinner out afterwards, and took some corners and such more aggressively than normal, and the car definitely feels much tighter, flatter and controlled on the turns. For the money, it's a really sweet bang-for-the-buck handling/stability mod.

----------------------------------------------------------
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:40 AM   #20
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Good to know that the 2015+ SE models do NOT have the rear axle back beam dynamic dampers. I wasn't sure about that Kalispel, I mentioned that I was only sure about the 2012-2014 SE models. Sorry to make you spend money on bolts that you didn't need.

Glad to hear you were able to install with no problems. It's a great mod, as you have discovered.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:45 AM   #21
VaultTec

Drives: 2016 Yaris SE
Can you guys post some photos of it installed? Don't really like looking at the stock photos I find online.
VaultTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:01 AM   #22
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Good to know that the 2015+ SE models do NOT have the rear axle back beam dynamic dampers. I wasn't sure about that Kalispel, I mentioned that I was only sure about the 2012-2014 SE models. Sorry to make you spend money on bolts that you didn't need.

Glad to hear you were able to install with no problems. It's a great mod, as you have discovered.
We had a rough time getting the two primary bolts loosened, so that we could install the sway bar in the occupied bolt-holes. We had to jack up the rear end and take off the rear wheels to get the space/angles needed to loosen up those suckers. Luckily, my nephew has a lot of do-it-yourself tools and heavy-duty jacks (he does a lot of work/mods on his 1999 Lexus sports-coupe). I would rather have the extra bolts and not need them, than need those variant-thread bolts and not have them. Plus, with my luck, my SE should have had those dampeners installed, but didn't due to some factory-assembly oversight. I won't know until someone else here with a 2015/2016 SE crawls up under their car and takes a look to confirm.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:08 AM   #23
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultTec View Post
Can you guys post some photos of it installed? Don't really like looking at the stock photos I find online.
I will try to take some pics tomorrow after work. Most of the sway bar is pretty concealed, and tucks right up into the groove of the main beam, running between the two rear wheels. You really only see the red sway bar where it swoops down on either end to where it bolts onto the wheel/brake/shock area.

Here are some pics taken from another thread on YarisWorld (from a 2012 Yaris), that sort of illustrates what I just said above. The 2015/2016 really isn't any different underneath there as the 2012-2014, or the 2007-2011 for that matter.

Last edited by Kalispel; 05-10-2016 at 02:19 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:00 PM   #24
VaultTec

Drives: 2016 Yaris SE
I can confirm that my 2016 SE doesn't have the dynamic dampers. Thanks for the photos. I will be ordering one later today. Would be be possible to get a photo from the back showing some of the rear bumper? I don't want too much of the bar exposed. It'll look weird seeing a red bar on a white car. I'm just trying to get an idea of how much would be seen from the views of a car behind me.
VaultTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:49 PM   #25
NYC-SE

On my 2014 it is pretty much invisible from behind.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:03 PM   #26
Kalispel

Quote:
On my 2014 it is pretty much invisible from behind.
Yep, the only part of the sway bar you can see is the rounded end-piece near where it is bolted onto the car - even when you are bending/squatting and trying to see it. You don't even really see the end-pieces if the sun isn't shining directly onto them. That bright red can really catch the sun though.

I really noticed the handling/performance difference with it on the car today during my commute. The car stays flat as a pancake on spirited turns or taking those curvy "40 mph speed limit" highway on/off ramps at higher speeds. I also didn't feel the wind pressure buffet the car like it used to when big-rigs passed right next to me at high speeds on the highway. It really is the best bang-for-the buck stability mod that you can make to a small, featherweight car like this.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:10 PM   #27
Sharky144

Drives: Yaris XP13 D-4D
EDIT: Woops sorry my bad, somehow I managed to overread that the nut ist cast into the dampers and thought the only problem was the length of the bolt.

Hey everyone,

as a German it's really hard to get any TRD parts, so I went to eBay and bought one of a seller from USA.

I'm driving a 2012 model with dampers, thanks to this thread I knew that i had to get some extra bolts.

So I searched for them but I couldn't find any.

I waited for my package which arrived today, only 7 days from USA to Germany!

I'll install them asap and report how it went.

See ya!

Last edited by Sharky144; 06-06-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Sharky144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:09 PM   #28
NYC-SE

Those are the wrong size bolts. The thread pitch is wrong. If you want to keep the dampers you need M10-1.25X30mm bolts. In US I purchased from Fastenal, I 'm sure they're available somewhere in Europe but I don't know where.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:14 PM   #29
Kalispel

Quote:
Those are the wrong size bolts. The thread pitch is wrong. If you want to keep the dampers you need M10-1.25X30mm bolts. In US I purchased from Fastenal, I 'm sure they're available somewhere in Europe but I don't know where.
Yep, the bolts supplied with the TRD sway bar won't work if you plan to keep the dampers on your 2012-2014 3rd Gen.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:59 AM   #30
DJYojimbo

Drives: 2012 Grey Toyota Yaris SE
Quote:
Will this work?

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/11116351
Old 08-11-2016, 08:51 PM   #31
NYC-SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJYojimbo View Post
They will. The only difference is the coating. Yellow zinc stands up to corrosion a little better than plain zinc coating. I went with the yellow zinc for that reason. FYI the bolts supplied with the TRD bar are yellow zinc coated as well.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:33 AM   #32
DJYojimbo

Drives: 2012 Grey Toyota Yaris SE
Quote:
They will. The only difference is the coating. Yellow zinc stands up to corrosion a little better than plain zinc coating. I went with the yellow zinc for that reason. FYI the bolts supplied with the TRD bar are yellow zinc coated as well.
Oh nice nice! I'll go with the yellow zinc ones then thank you!!!
Old 08-12-2016, 11:54 AM   #33
YotaYaris

Drives: 09 3dr (sold), 12 SE 5spd : )
I am so glad that I came across this post. I sold my 2009 Yaris about 3 years ago which I installed the TRD rear sway bar on. I am buying a 2012 Yaris SE this weekend and I plan on getting another TRD sway bar ASAP. This is the number one mod that everyone should do to the Yaris.

Now I know that I will need to buy new longer bolts to make the TRD sway bar fit properly. Did you remove anything from the car, or did buying the longer bolts allow you to keep the dampers in place?

I am going to have to take a look at these dampers when I get my car. I am really curious what purpose they serve and why they took them off after 2014.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:41 PM   #34
NYC-SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaYaris View Post
Did you remove anything from the car, or did buying the longer bolts allow you to keep the dampers in place?
Only thing removed was the original bolts holding the dampers in place. The dampers themselves have to be temporarily removed while fitting the sway bar. After you have it lined up simply reinstall the dampers in their original position and secure with the new longer bolts. Torque to spec. Done.

I have a mini DIY posted on the previous page that should answer any other questions.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:51 PM   #35
91mustang

Drives: Charcoal 2012 Yaris SE 5 Speed
Does anyone know if this bump stop would be reused with a set of tanabe sustec coil overs?
91mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:36 PM   #36
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91mustang View Post
Does anyone know if this bump stop would be reused with a set of tanabe sustec coil overs?
The coil overs should have its own bump stoppers.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk