Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-24-2016, 01:06 PM   #1
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Ajusto

Now that Ajusto is an app on your smartphone vs the previous plug-in recorder (thus 99% of drivers have the ressource to sign up, aka a smartphone that they always carry with them), does anyone have bad or beware of experiences to share about this tracking program ?

Most of what I've read are from people concerned about their location being tracked 24/7 when their phone is on, but to be honest I can't imagine myself doing something that I wouldn't want anyone to have proof of where and when I was with having my phone turned on and on me.

Let's be honest, I already use my credit card for all my purchases beside some exception when I pay cash, so I'm already traceable on paper and that's actually something that has value in a court of law nowadays. Then if the government wants to watch me, they have my address, phone number, car registration, employer, email, etc that they can use as much as they want without asking me first, plus surveillance camera on the streets and public spaces, shopping mall, stores, etc.

Now I should be concerned about my car insurer collecting data of where and when I go places and if I'm heavy on the pedals and wheel ? And since when could they prove that it was me behind the wheel ?

Remember that the recording device is an anonymous smartphone that can be misplaced or hacked very easily, with no way of proving in court that the smartphone and my own person where both the same entity. Adding to it that GPS localisation isn't very accurate to pinpoint the exact address in a city and that a phone could easily be tampered with so dismissing it as an evidence in a court of law is ridiculously easy, why should I even bother about incriminating myself while in fact it's highly impossible ?

Getting a regular driving score of 92%, which would yields me about 23% off my next policy renewal with the freedom of telling the app is I was or wasn't the driver for each of the recorded trip (aka the overall score can easily be tweaked by not being totally honest when marking bad scores as "passenger"), I don't see how you could loose unless you're an awful driver who have an habit of drunk driving and speeding (in which case the tracking of the app could be used against you in a court, since you're committing a criminal act and you're dealing with the authorities and not with a private company). But I don't race nor drive impaired, and I'm smart enough to know what to ditch and avoid when I want to go off grid or do something I want to keep to myself only.

Thoughts ?
David C is offline   Reply With Quote