Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-29-2016, 12:17 AM   #1
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
Replacing the Yaris: HR-V

Hi guys,

Hoping to get some feedback from the experts.

I love my '10 Yaris 5dr, but it's time to change. I'm considering the new civic, but have my eye set on the Honda HR-V. Please don't sell me on the Civic, as I know it's likely a better choice.

What I want to know, is if any of you have tested (long term or short) the HR-V, and how the ride quality and cabin noise compares to the Yaris. I hear the ride sucks on the HR-V, but truth be told, it can't be much worse than my current car.

Would this be any kind of upgrade? A loaded HR-V is similar in price to mid spec civic, hence my hang up. Further, the local market loaded versions are really nice (panoramic roof, rain sensing wipers, led headlamps, etc).

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Last edited by djct_watt; 12-29-2016 at 01:04 AM.
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #2
MugenRep
iQ innovator & researcher

Drives: 2012 iQ
Do you need power?

Do you need space?

Do you need AWD?

Do you need ground clearance?

Do you have an under 2 year old?

Do you prefer new engine/trans tech over old?
MugenRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:15 PM   #3
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I test drove the HR-V shortly after it was introduced. I thought it was a nice looking car; the sheet metal's curves and angles seem to make some sense... quite unlike many over-the-top "Yugio" designs of late.

The only thing I didn't like about the exterior design was the absence of door handles on the rear doors; it just looks weird, and then you tend to put your hands all over the door when closing it from the outside.

The interior was well designed and the materials looked/felt good. But, I found the seat cushions very short; it felt as if I would slide right off the seat when braking if I didn't have a seat belt to hold me in place.

The car handled fairly well, but certainly not as good as the nimble Yaris, and ride quality was good. The sore point was the CVT transmission. Yikes! That thing is a bloody dog! The droning noise and the sluggish acceleration were more than disappointing. That killed it for me. Nice car, but it needs a conventional transmission. But, I understand the HR-V is available with a stick shift... that gets good reviews. So, if you like a manual transmission, then the car may work very well for you.

Do yourself s favour and test-drive the Mazda CX-3.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:21 AM   #4
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
yes. I would also suggest mazda. the regular 3 has more interior room and better gas millage than the CX-3, but the CX-3 has AWD and a little more ground clearance. the cx-5 is a great vehicle!
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:10 AM   #5
djct_watt

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, no need for AWD. I just need more space, without a significantly bigger car, a smoother ride, and updated safety tech. Also, a slightly higher ride height would be good, due to frequent flash floods in my area.

Mazda would be great, but I worry a bit about reliability vs Toyota and Honda. The CX-3 was originally top of my list, but inside it feels smaller than my Yaris. The 3 is also a good contender, but I might just go for a civic in that case. The CX-5 is just too big and too expensive sadly.

The biggest point against Mazda at this point is the proprietary head unit. Android auto isn't available here, and I'm keen to get an aftermarket unit with both apply car play and android auto / mirroring.

Thanks for the feedback guys! As far as I take it then, not many here are fans of the HR-V?
Old 12-30-2016, 09:23 AM   #6
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
The CX-3 is way better in every aspect than the HR-V.

Mazda has been reliable for us (at the company). Of the 4 Mazda we have (2010 mazda 3, and 2012 Mazda 2 and 5), none have had any issues in 6 years except for a wheel bearing.

Mazda used to be known for rust, but none have any rust after all these years and they don't get rust proof treatment and not washed often.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2016, 09:30 AM   #7
djct_watt

Well noted. I'll take another serious look at the 3. I love the CX-3, but I'm just too fat to either fit comfortably or not get claustrophobic. Plus the rear hatch space (seats up) is horrendous.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:54 AM   #8
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Todd Burlage (www.wheelbasemedia.com) in "The Near Future" article (this week's Autoconnection mag) captions a photo:"The Toyota C-HR will be Toyota's answer to the Honda HR-V and Mazda CX3."
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:55 AM   #9
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
Todd Burlage (www.wheelbasemedia.com) in "The Near Future" article (this week's Autoconnection mag) captions a photo:"The Toyota C-HR will be Toyota's answer to the Honda HR-V and Mazda CX3."
The Toyota C-HR is hideous and looks unnecessarily cramped!

I also suspect it has very poor visibility for the driver given the design.

I don't know who is designing vehicles at Toyota and Honda lately, but they are driving me towards Mazda for my next purchase!
Old 01-04-2017, 12:02 PM   #10
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
You can read my review here:

http://www.subcompactculture.com/201...troverted.html
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:04 PM   #11
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
The Toyota C-HR is hideous and looks unnecessarily cramped!

I also suspect it has very poor visibility for the driver given the design.

I don't know who is designing vehicles at Toyota and Honda lately, but they are driving me towards Mazda for my next purchase!
I completely agree!
Old 01-04-2017, 09:30 PM   #12
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
This, to me looks more comparable to a Nissan Juke than a HR-V.

Quote:
Well noted. I'll take another serious look at the 3. I love the CX-3, but I'm just too fat to either fit comfortably or not get claustrophobic. Plus the rear hatch space (seats up) is horrendous.
It's a shame the Mazda 6 in North America is only available in sedan form. I'd love a diesel AWD Mazda 6 wagon.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...gon-2-2-d-awd/
Old 01-04-2017, 10:21 PM   #13
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader166 View Post
It's a shame the Mazda 6 in North America is only available in sedan form. I'd love a diesel AWD Mazda 6 wagon.
I love wagons. I wish there were more (small) wagons in North America. Unfortunately, SUV's have taken over that segment.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:36 PM   #14
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
Wagons had their day for a while, then minivans came along and ate their lunch. Now crossovers are eating the minivan's lunch. I'm hoping some retro-chic trend will bring the wagons back some day before autonomous pods come and eat everybody's lunch.
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:01 PM   #15
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Focus ST/RS, Mazda 3, Hyundai Elantra GT, Subie WRX/STI (albeit retired for the moment)...

I think wagons are doing okay. If I'm honest, I'm starting to really like the looks of the latest Mazda 3 wagon. I can really see it slammed on some nice wheels in that beautiful dark blue they offer it in. The front grille is really growing on me.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote