Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-17-2013, 01:19 AM   #1
Doix

Drives: '07 Yaris P9 Linea Sol 1.0
Another newbee

Hi Forum,

My name is Aad and I live in Holland, nearby Amsterdam. English is not my native language so I will make any grammar errors you already know.

Since the first of Novembre my wife and I own a Toyota Yaris. After years of driving Opel Vectra we decided to go more economical and we ended Japanese: a 2007 Toyota Yaris Linea Sol 1.0 with airco.

Ever since I could walk and talk I am very interested in cars and any car I own(ed) I want to know inside out. Alas I am not that technical so most knowledge is theoretical. And in what place one can find the most technical knowledge? Owner clubs and internet forums, so I registered my overhere and to the Dutch Yaris Club. The Toyota is my very first Japanese car (VIN number is starting with JTD, so it should not be French) and it has a 3-cylindre petrol engine, coded KR1-FE. I have to admit, I was a bit sceptical about anything less than 4 cylinders but this engine is nice, it has a bit sporty sound due to those 3 cylinders and it is very economical and combines a healthy 69 bhp to just 1 litre.

So I go reading and enjoying this forum from the oldest topic till now to learn more about this car.

Kind regards,

Aad ~ Doix
Doix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doix View Post
Hi Forum,

My name is Aad and I live in Holland, nearby Amsterdam. English is not my native language so I will make any grammar errors you already know.

Since the first of Novembre my wife and I own a Toyota Yaris. After years of driving Opel Vectra we decided to go more economical and we ended Japanese: a 2007 Toyota Yaris Linea Sol 1.0 with airco.

Ever since I could walk and talk I am very interested in cars and any car I own(ed) I want to know inside out. Alas I am not that technical so most knowledge is theoretical. And in what place one can find the most technical knowledge? Owner clubs and internet forums, so I registered my overhere and to the Dutch Yaris Club. The Toyota is my very first Japanese car (VIN number is starting with JTD, so it should not be French) and it has a 3-cylindre petrol engine, coded KR1-FE. I have to admit, I was a bit sceptical about anything less than 4 cylinders but this engine is nice, it has a bit sporty sound due to those 3 cylinders and it is very economical and combines a healthy 69 bhp to just 1 litre.

So I go reading and enjoying this forum from the oldest topic till now to learn more about this car.

Kind regards,

Aad ~ Doix
Welcome . What type of transmission does your Yaris have? (manual, traditional automatic, CVT)
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:27 AM   #3
Doix

Drives: '07 Yaris P9 Linea Sol 1.0
Hi there,

My car has manual transmission, which to me is the easiest. Once I drove an Opel with a traditional automatic transmission and I forgot that when slowing down, the car does not 'brake' on the engine (or how do I say that in english?). I entered the corner to fast and ended somewhere at the nearby pavement ...... ****shameshameshame**** ;) Since then I always drive manual but I am aware of the relax way of driving automatic transmission could deliver ;)

Kind regards,

Aad ~ Doix
Doix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doix View Post
Hi there,

My car has manual transmission, which to me is the easiest. Once I drove an Opel with a traditional automatic transmission and I forgot that when slowing down, the car does not 'brake' on the engine (or how do I say that in english?). I entered the corner to fast and ended somewhere at the nearby pavement ...... ****shameshameshame**** ;) Since then I always drive manual but I am aware of the relax way of driving automatic transmission could deliver ;)

Kind regards,

Aad ~ Doix
Expanding on your experience with your Opel, I don't think I would have had only 20% wear on my brakes at 208,000 miles if my Yaris had an automatic transmission rather than a 5-speed manual.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
welcome,

the best way to learn about the mechanics of a car is to do things yourself. if it is something that interests you, buy some ramps and look under. change the oil yourself and even do some upgrades. some of the modifications are somewhat intimidating but we are a helpful bunch. there are a few members on here that literally know the car inside and out and they are very active on the forums.

you are doing well with your english given that it isn't your first language.

hopefully, we can help with your questions and you will be a happy yaris owner for quite some time to come.