Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
ellisd87

Drives: 2007 Yaris 4 dr Hatch
2007 Yaris 4dr Hatch

So I am buying this in a few weeks. The details are:
4 door hatch
48k KM (30kish miles)

The best part yet.. only $3000!

Now, I've checked out the car, it's a work friend that is moving to the US and it's weird circumstances. Are there things about this specific year/model that I should be aware of before I buy? I've been burned in the past with other cars and trans going on them :( which I want to avoid...

Anyways, let me know!

Hope to be active in the community as I'm a DIYer
ellisd87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
$3000 is awfully cheap for a car with so few miles on it. I would have this car checked out as throughly as you possibly can.

Check underside of hood for coolant pink stains. These water pumps leak.

Other than that no inheritant issues with this car.

You are either going to be very happy with your purchase or are going to get screwed with your shorts on.

Cheers and tell us which it is!
Old 05-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
ellisd87

Yea I'll have it checked out. I've known the lady for just short of 2 years now. I honestly can't see her knowing something wrong with it without saying anything. She even mentioned to me while I was driving it that sometimes first thing in the morning the transmission won't shift really well until a KM or so into the drive... but what I have read is that's by design to heat up things. She could have not said anything and in her mind, she could have been telling me something was wrong with the transmission.

Also someone pumped into her head light on side, didn't break it but just doesn't set exactly right anymore.

It was pouring rain here when I looked at it, I'm gonna go drive it again next week but she moves on the 13th of June and that's when I get it (her condition on the sale).

Also, she even said if I didn't have the cash it's no worries, I can pay her whenever as she knows I'm good for it haha. Which I am, but still, very trusting.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
I'm thinking perhaps the price was given so low because she knows you?
The body work, That's not too big of a deal as long as it's just cosmetic stuff.
If I start up mine (2013/450 miles) and I don't sit for about a minute, It'll do the same thing.
So I am inclined to think it's just that the car is warming itself up.
I'd definitely drive it while it's cold and see if it seems really obvious.
Either way, It seems you could actually buy a whole new transmission and still make good.
That price is very low. The Kelley Blue Book is around $8-10K for that model here.

Good luck!
Old 05-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That is an awesome deal, especially with it being a 5 door. If I ran into one like that for that cheap, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. There is nothing on these cars that is really expensive to repair (other than body damage).
Old 05-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
ellisd87

Well this is all very encouraging. I'm in an awkward situation now as two good deals just came up yesterday and I bought both lawl.

So yea, committed to buying the yaris, won't have it until June 13th (part of the reason it's cheaper as she needs it up till the time she goes to the airport to move).

Also bought a 2012 Focus Titanium with 10k KM's on it for 13k less than a equivalent 2013 right now so I jumped on both.

Either way I now have 4 cars between me and my wife and that isn't going to go over well and need to decide what to sell.

For anyone in the wintery states or in Canada, how is this thing in the winter? I realize I will need to get some winter tires, but it performs ok? Feel safe?
Old 05-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisd87 View Post
I'm gonna go drive it again next week but she moves on the 13th of June and that's when I get it (her condition on the sale).
Price ~$6k below blue book + lady makes condition of sale the day she leaves town (so if something later on is bad shes out of there) = LOOK OUT!

Like I said either you will be or !
Old 05-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Quote:
Well this is all very encouraging. I'm in an awkward situation now as two good deals just came up yesterday and I bought both lawl.

So yea, committed to buying the yaris, won't have it until June 13th (part of the reason it's cheaper as she needs it up till the time she goes to the airport to move).

Also bought a 2012 Focus Titanium with 10k KM's on it for 13k less than a equivalent 2013 right now so I jumped on both.

Either way I now have 4 cars between me and my wife and that isn't going to go over well and need to decide what to sell.

For anyone in the wintery states or in Canada, how is this thing in the winter? I realize I will need to get some winter tires, but it performs ok? Feel safe?
I do need to warn you on the Focus. It's got some massive issues with the transmission.
I don't know if it's got the same parts here as where you are but it's a huge problem around here.
I think with the Yaris, The tires make the car.

Here is a link about the issue with the Focus.
http://www.lemonlaw.com/wordpress/fo...ssion-problem/

It's one of the reasons why I ended up not wanting to risk buying a new Ford Focus.
The other one is that they are constantly using new engines and transmissions in their cars.
To me that's them throwing unproved/untested variations out there and using us drivers as guinea pigs!
Not to mention it's known that they have a pretty low reliability score right now.. Lower than Kia and that's just sad.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
ellisd87

Yea for sure. I'm hesitant about it as well but we'll see. I took it for a drive and while the trans feels different, I know how those automatic manual transmissions feel (drive a smart car once in a while with car2go here) and it feels exactly the same. I will have to try the hill thing though once I get it as I dont think I went up any hills on my test drive like that.

Maybe they will recall once enough people have complained. THe problem I find with the internet is that let's say there is an issue with 10% of the cars out there, there is probably 90% of those 10% posting about their trannies where the remaining 90% of people maybe only 5% post since there is no issue. Everyone uses the internet to complain lol. But thanks for the site, I'll keep my eye out on it.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

You're welcome. I wouldn't have known about that issue either if my cousin hadn't gone through it herself. 13 trips to the dealership and they still haven't fixed it.
She almost got into a bad wreck because of it too. =[

I like that with the Yaris it's giving me something that's already been tested and proven.
Ford is too easy with jumping onto the new technology bandwagon before it's time.

Either way, If they do a recall, At least you'll be able to have it fixed on their dime!
Old 05-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
ellisd87

Yea, now I'm worried, I could potentially back out of the deal I think. At least it has 4 more years of powertrain warranty... but still damn 13 trips to the dealership over the same issue? What have they tried?
Old 05-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #12
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

First, They did some "Trouble shooting" which I think meant they were doing something with the computer. Then they did that again about 5 more times.
They began replacing components on the car, Like the computer and some other random parts they said would "Fix it".
They ended up putting in a new transmission, Which started having the same problem less than 2 months later.
Three months ago she traded it back in, and left with a used Dodge Avenger (She hated Ford so much she bought a different brand from that Ford dealership. LOL).

What good is a warranty though if the car itself is bad? It's not like having coverage will help keep it out of the shop.
Sure you aren't paying to fix it but you ARE paying with the time that it'll consume as it sits in their garage with them scratching their heads at it!
Old 05-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
ellisd87

How many miles did she start seeing issues? And when did she get rid of it finally? I got so worried I went back down there to test drive it once again without my fiancee in my ear. Took it on some long drives, no issues but yea that could happen whenever.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #14
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Sweet deal at $3K.

2007 Possible issues:

- ABS wheel sensors
- voltage regulator corrossion in the alternator
- water pump failure
- lower control arm bolts

Discussions on these are easily found with a search. None of these issues should scare you away from the deal you have presented to you.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Quote:
How many miles did she start seeing issues? And when did she get rid of it finally? I got so worried I went back down there to test drive it once again without my fiancee in my ear. Took it on some long drives, no issues but yea that could happen whenever.
She started having the trouble at around 29K miles.
Thing is, At first it wasn't that noticeable.
Then at around 31K miles it got positively downright horrific.
So that's when she started the back and forth with the dealership.
She had gone back and forth with them for almost 6 months before giving up.
Told me that it happened a lot after stop and go driving in the city where we live.

I'm not saying it'll happen to you but... I know the Yaris is a good deal and if anything is wrong, I'd think it would be easier to fix.
That Focus, It has newer technology and I'd just be a bit more careful with it.
I always question why people sell their cars if they've got low miles and are relatively new....
Old 05-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #16
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Sweet deal at $3K.

2007 Possible issues:

- ABS wheel sensors
- water pump failure

Discussions on these are easily found with a search. None of these issues should scare you away from the deal you have presented to you.
Just out of curiosity, did all 2007 Canadian Yarii have ABS ?
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Price ~$6k below blue book + lady makes condition of sale the day she leaves town (so if something later on is bad shes out of there) = LOOK OUT!
....you and I must have the same microchip loaded with cynicism and grains of salt located 'somewhere within'.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #18
ellisd87

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Sweet deal at $3K.

2007 Possible issues:

- ABS wheel sensors
- water pump failure

Sounds good. I'll check out what I can next week when I see the car again, but you're right nothing should be too crazy that it still wouldn't be a good deal.