Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
cathycnm
Mini Pearl

Drives: 2014 Waveline Pearl SE
Still no VIN for Yaris, reconsidering Fit

Question on Yaris vs Fit. I admittedly am getting a little impatient w my car still not being at the dealer (a week late now w no ETA due to computer being down). A little worried that the Colorado flood will add additional time. Concerned the car is lost/damaged.

So, I'm considering the Fit again if this drags on too long. They have manuals on the lot at the dealer in the community where I work. Manual Yaris are just hard to find and the wait is getting a bit drawn out here in the rural West. Three weeks later, still no VIN?

What is the advice of this group? How long do I wait? How easy is it to get the deposit back if they don't deliver within their promised time-frame? Thinking of giving them til the end of Sept, so over a month. The car was at the port 3 weeks ago when I put the deposit down.

How does the Fit compare on mileage -really? That's why I picked the Yaris! And local service. But a Fit in the driveway may be worth two Yaris at the port.
cathycnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
I'd rock a fit. Very similar mileage.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I am not sure where in Western CO you are located, but doing a cars.com search centered around Grand Junction, I see 5 new MT Yaris within 250 miles. A dealer can get a car from another dealer (I have done that quite a few times over the years when buying new cars), so there is no reason why your dealer can't get one of those 5, other than the fact that they really don't like to do any work for a zero margin car.

Below is the link to the search:

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/new/toy...nsTypeId=28112
Old 09-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
cathycnm
Mini Pearl

Interesting. I'm guessing some of the 5 are a constant mistake on my local dealers website. They aren't there at all, and they are automatic in the computer. Going further is a cost because I'd have to fly or take a bus. Grand Jct is doable, but they have one automatic. I don't know where the others are. My dealer is very much doing her best, but the closest she found was the port. This whole experience is becoming frustrating.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathycnm View Post
Interesting. I'm guessing some of the 5 are a constant mistake on my local dealers website. They aren't there at all, and they are automatic in the computer. Going further is a cost because I'd have to fly or take a bus. Grand Jct is doable, but they have one automatic. I don't know where the others are. My dealer is very much doing her best, but the closest she found was the port. This whole experience is becoming frustrating.
With the dealer exchange, you don't go to the other dealer. Your local dealer gets the car from the other dealer. When I purchased my 2004 Nissan Xterra, my local dealer grabbed it from another dealer 400 miles away, as it was the only one around equipped as I wanted it.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
cathycnm
Mini Pearl

Yea, she searched and the closest is the one I put the deposit down on. New ETA this AM is about 2 more weeks. Now seeking reassurance the car was not in Denver during the flooding and hail storms last week. The delay could be a reassessment for damage. I want a Yaris, but not a damaged one. My corolla sold 2 weeks ago so I'm at risk of loosing that deal if this goes too much longer.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
cathycnm
Mini Pearl

I have a VIN! Yipppeeeee! Now, let's hope it was in LA during the flood!
Old 09-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I have a VIN! Yipppeeeee! Now, let's hope it was in LA during the flood!
Nice! Glad to hear you aren't having to "settle" for a Fit.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
cathycnm
Mini Pearl

Yep. Which brings to mind a question. When I searched the BIG dealers in Denver, rack had 3 or less Yaris, but the Honda dealers list circa 100+ on the lot. Is Toyota deliberately trying not to compete in this region? It would have been helpful to know this. None of the reviews mentioned it. I guess, in hindsight, I may have settled for a Fit. Demand and supply?
Old 09-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Yep. Which brings to mind a question. When I searched the BIG dealers in Denver, rack had 3 or less Yaris, but the Honda dealers list circa 100+ on the lot. Is Toyota deliberately trying not to compete in this region? It would have been helpful to know this. None of the reviews mentioned it. I guess, in hindsight, I may have settled for a Fit. Demand and supply?
I think that Toyota really tries to not compete in that segment (economy cars) as opposed to in your region. There is so little profit on a Yaris, that they would probably prefer not to sell them, but to be a "full line" car manufacturer they have to.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
cathycnm
Mini Pearl

My guess is the only way to make anything is to go high volume, which seems to be Honda's approach. Toyota is keeping it low, a loss leader. Seems Yaris may do better in other countries?
Old 09-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #12
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
pretty sure it is a US thing. Yarii are everywhere in Canada. Both my Echo and my Yaris took less than a week to take ownership.

Signed contract Friday and took car Monday for my Echo. For my Yaris, i think it was also Friday.. and car was ready tuesday, but i had to wait till thursday to pick up due to work.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #13
cathycnm
Mini Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
pretty sure it is a US thing. Yarii are everywhere in Canada. Both my Echo and my Yaris took less than a week to take ownership.

Signed contract Friday and took car Monday for my Echo. For my Yaris, i think it was also Friday.. and car was ready tuesday, but i had to wait till thursday to pick up due to work.
Sounds like what I thought. It would not hold its value if it was not loved. So, I assume you do some snow driving up in Canada. Any recommendations for winter driving?
Old 09-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #14
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Quote:
Sounds like what I thought. It would not hold its value if it was not loved. So, I assume you do some snow driving up in Canada. Any recommendations for winter driving?
I have had my Yaris about a year and a half and it performed very well in the winter time. I bought Hankook Optimo 4S tires .. (special 4 season tires). They have worked really well for me. Didn't get stuck at all last year .. something I couldn't say before with my Honda.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #15
cathycnm
Mini Pearl

Thanks. I have heard the tires it comes w are not great for winter driving. Do you suggest replacing them w higher quality right away?
Old 09-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks. I have heard the tires it comes w are not great for winter driving. Do you suggest replacing them w higher quality right away?
Your best bet (if you have the space) is to have a second set of tires/wheels. Good snows are very soft and wear quickly, so only using them during snow season is the best way to go.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Toyota is keeping it low, a loss leader.
Also, as someone pointed out on another thread this summer, Toyota needs the Yaris or similar in the US re the CAFE standards.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:46 AM   #18
cathycnm
Mini Pearl

Another VIN question

OK, so still no word on the Yaris. So, I did some research and the ship it was supposedly on when I put the deposit down has been to Japan and back since (sigh). The interesting thing is I got the VIN three weeks after putting down the deposit and about the same time that same ship returned to the same port. Seems a little more than fishy, given the new ETA is more in line w a car that just arrived. My question is - is there anyway to find out for sure? I have the original engine # from when I put the deposit down. Does this correspond to the VIN? Since its the same ship - I suppose it is hard to know for sure.

It's irritating cause I sold my corolla to a friend based on the initial ETA. I would have been happier w honesty - now my friend has to wait while I put another 1,200 on the corolla.

If it doesn't show by two weeks form today, I'll throw a Fit. No, I'll buy a Fit. My other concern is a lot of the freight lines through the Rockies are out for a couple weeks due to the storm. Two weeks is my deadline. My friend needs my car. Yish!

Tags
delay, fit, port, vin