Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
Faraz_Shaikh

Drives: Toyota Vitz
HELP, CAR SUDDENLY GOT LEAN

Hello experts
ive installed turbo kit in my yaris 1szfe, boost im running is 0.5 bar, couple of weeks back car suddenly got lean, afr is 14, i hear knock sound as boost comes, ive done all efforts, changed the fuel pump, serviced the injectors, fpr is set to 60psi, fpr was set to same before too, i did nothing but suddenly one day i started hearing knock, when i checked the afr it was 14.
Ive even reset the ecu, to control the fueling i am using fcon mini, ive checked that as well but can find no problem in it, i am attaching the pic of fcon as well. kindly help me

Faraz_Shaikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
what do you mean by serviced the injectors? had them flow tested? have you tried to add more fuel with the fcon? Are you sure you are hearing engine knock?
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:04 AM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
How are you monitoring air/fuel ratio in real time?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:57 AM   #4
Faraz_Shaikh

k
Old 03-19-2011, 04:58 AM   #5
Faraz_Shaikh

yes thats the engine knock, and flow of injectors have been checked its perfect, i just dont check afr all the time, once its tuned its checked, and then it runs ok for the rest of time
Old 03-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

I asked "how" you monitor the AFR
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:31 PM   #7
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
Check if your maf is dirty. Do you have a gauge in your car which u can use to monitor your a/f?
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
Attitude

Drives: Vitz
folks
today i even installed injectors of 4efte, 300cc, and fpr was set to 60psi but still knock was there. now i think there is something wrong with ecu
Attitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #9
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
ok.. so you hear a knocking noise.. could this also be a rod knock? a video would be helpful.. and i think people are asking you if you have a A/F guage to see it lean out on your dash.. do you have one of these? and at what rpm/boost is it leaning out?
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

If he's not going to answer simple questions = I can't be helpful at all. Sorry!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #11
Attitude

no i'm not having an afr gauge, i borrowed from one of my friend to check the afr and it was 13 to 14. The car gets lean as the boost comes, if i slightly push the peddle(dont let the boost come) so there isnt any knock.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:20 AM   #12
Attitude

car leans out as the the boost comes, at around 3000 to 3500
Old 03-24-2011, 08:40 AM   #13
ilikerice

sounds like a tunning issue more then anything. are you using a wideband a/f sensor? i would suggest getting a A/F guage and permently installing that for your benifit. are you able to pull up your map via laptop? im not familiar with fcon.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
today i even installed injectors of 4efte, 300cc, and fpr was set to 60psi but still knock was there. now i think there is something wrong with ecu
Assuming the parts you've installed were installed correctly and are working properly, you have a tuning problem. That set up should provide more than enough fuel.

How do the plugs look? Post a closeup of a spark plug.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:27 AM   #15
Faraz_Shaikh

ive just installed new plugs of zex, now i have installed injectors of 4efte which are 300cc, the car is rich on idle man, it gives black smoke but as boost comes while driving, knock is heard, yes i am planning to buy a/f sensor with gauge in a month or so, but the shocking thing is the car was running perfect on same setup infact with small injectors of 225cc and suddenly it created this problem, i am just wondering if anyone is having the diagram of fcon mini, the nuts on it are not giving any hint that what are its functions.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #16
ilikerice

just a thought.. could it have been bad gas you may have gotten? are you still running on the same tank of gas still? just a thought that crossed my mind. other then that, im helpless
Old 03-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #17
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
the car was running perfect on same setup infact with small injectors of 225cc
Then why did you change the size?
Old 03-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #18
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Just a thought, since I'm not entirely sure if this works both ways...

When you installed new plugs, did you install a plug with a larger gap? I know going from larger to smaller gap means you're going to have less of a complete burn, hence a richer mixture. So that implies going from smaller to larger would provide a more complete burn and be potentially leaner.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote