Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
CAyaris

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to CAyaris
Engine Bay Clean Up

How and what is the best way to clean the engine bay i have been told just to rinse it off but what about all the electronics in it???
Old 03-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
The ECU is in plain sight against the firewall. As long as you don't blast it with water for a while I'm sure you'll be OK. The connectors are water-proofed.

If the engine is dirty, a quick spray with some simple green, let it sit, then rinse it off. Follow up with a dousing of interior detailer (I use No Touch Tire foam ) wipe it down and the bay will look good as new.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
Cover the alternator, if you have an intake cover that up too, and then use a cleanser that won't hurt your cables etc rinse and you are good to go, its always wise to start your engine when you are done. For whatever left over water that might be around the bay, good luck and some before and after pics would be good too.
TRD sportivo springs,Tokico Blue Shock/Struts,TRD rear sway bar & front bar,Tanabe engine bar,MI hoses (red), MI engine cover,SRI intake,VIOS vent visors,VIOS foglights,VIOS tails (HELLA lights & the Series 5 too),VIOS radio,VIOS badge,VIOS grill,18 inch R-1 rims wrapped in nankang tires 215/35-18z,chrome handles,retrofited the headlights, SHARK body kit (VIOS), Coming soon projectors heads with LED strip, Custom seats, MI hood lifts,MI momo steering wheel, sound system :)
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
dont do anything with the engine hot. i ruined my hoses once spraying with simple green or that purple cleaner stuff with engine hot. turned all the black stuff white.

also, dont let it dry. spray it on, let it sit a few minutes and rinse off with LOW PRESSURE water...like out of a hose by itself with no nozzle.

another easy way to do it if there's a ton of dirt is to spray the crap out of it with wd-40 and let is sink in. then use a degreaser or something like dawn soap and rinse it off with that. be sure to get all the dawn off tho. if it dries it will speed the degrading process of the rubber under the hood.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote