Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-23-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
barryware

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
More Oil Questions - What is really what?

Hello All...

Ok it has been confirmed I am an idiot as I am the guy that over filled the crankcase on my first oil change.

Now that we are past that.....

How can you tell if an oil that states it is synthetic is really synthetic?

After reading a few posts here, it was stated that Mobil 1 for instance is not really a synthetic.

I went to the mobile 1 website and in reading the information there, it pretty much states that mobile 1 is a true synthetic.

When I bought my oil, I purchased Mobile 1 super-syn which just like the regular mobile 1, states it is a fully synthetic oil on the bottle.

The super-syn also stated that it is good for 15,000 miles, guarantied and the other, less expensive mobile 1 gave no mention about the protection mileage.

So.. WTF? Is there a secret code on the bottle or some other kind of sign to know? Hence, my boggle
barryware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:12 PM   #2
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
There is lots of information and discussions on other threads dealing with synthetic oil, including the differences between Mobil 1 and other brands. Poke around a bit more.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
barryware

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I know there is a difference in the oil(s).

I am not asking which brand is the best or what viscosity to use.

My question is: How do you tell if the oil(s) is a true synthetic which many posts say mobile 1 is not, but the packaging says it is.

How is a guy to know if he is really purchasing an synthetic oil when browsing the oil isles at the auto parts store?

I am using Mobile 1 for an example.. Other posts also state that other brands that say they are synthetic, are really not.

Last edited by barryware; 01-23-2007 at 03:33 PM.
barryware is offline   Reply With Quote