Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-07-2017, 08:20 PM   #19
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
LOL you have to clean both surface before applying.

Precut? It's really easy to trim, and it gives you the opportunity to clean both the tint and your glass inside and out.

I cut it myself off a 30$ roll of cling tint and still used the soapy solution so it doesn't stick right away and allow time to line it up before it clings.

And by the way, the pre-cut ones you bought seems to be really thin. It shouldn't rip because of a speck of sand.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2017, 08:40 PM   #20
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
LOL you have to clean both surface before applying.

Precut? It's really easy to trim, and it gives you the opportunity to clean both the tint and your glass inside and out.

I cut it myself off a 30$ roll of cling tint and still used the soapy solution so it doesn't stick right away and allow time to line it up before it clings.

And by the way, the pre-cut ones you bought seems to be really thin. It shouldn't rip because of a speck of sand.

Oh, I cleaned both sides thoroughly a couple to three times each, including lowering the windows a bit to get the recessed window edge. I also razor bladed the windows before final washing. I'm just guessing that it was a grain of sand or similar that maybe came down from the window gasket.

You are correct, the film is really thin and almost brittle.

It reminds me of paint film I've applied. The 3M Ventureshield is beautiful stuff to work with using a heat gun. I ordered some cheap film from overseas and it was crap. Ended up throwing most of it out.

I really should know better buying cheap stuff. It's also a job that I'm not really that interested in practicing to become good. Plus, I wouldn't feel good about buying more expensive film and risking trashing that as well. I'm more into learning the mechanical end of things for these cars.

However, I will try again and post back.

Can I ask how you made templates? Did you cut them on the window itself? Thanks.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:43 PM   #21
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Of course I just cut them on the window itself, like the professional windows tint installer. No need for a template.
Watch out not to scratch the glass with the brand new x-acto knife blade.

I did try to use the tint film on my Echo hatch, but the curved glass was hell to work with.
Though, it worked perfectly fine on a flat glass, like my bedroom window.
And that I also bought a roll from Canadian Tire.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:57 AM   #22
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Of course I just cut them on the window itself, like the professional windows tint installer. No need for a template.
Watch out not to scratch the glass with the brand new x-acto knife blade.

I did try to use the tint film on my Echo hatch, but the curved glass was hell to work with.
Though, it worked perfectly fine on a flat glass, like my bedroom window.
And that I also bought a roll from Canadian Tire.

Yeah, I wondered about the possibility of scratching the glass with the utility knife blade.

I mentioned that I had watched a video on shrinking the tint on the outside of the window. It demonstrated how to create fingers by bringing the outer edges towards each other slightly, then heating and smoothing down the fingers. Well, this cheap film didn't seem as pliable as the quality film they used. It was reluctant to create fingers and sort of bunched up a bit, even though I had lots of slip solution on both sides. So the film, again, was a touch large for the window. The interplay of cheap film, me rushing, my inexperience and not the best conditions resulted in a failure. I do have the free replacement kit coming, so I will try again but if that fails, I'm defintiely off to the shop.

Thanks

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote