Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-14-2017, 01:33 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Painted Wiper Arms

There was a bit of bubbling on the wiper arms, so decided to scrape, sand, prime and paint them. I've done this many times. I must have gotten a bad can of paint because it came out almost like bed liner (not as thick but splattery). I passed the heat gun over it at a good distance and it smoothed out to a really nice surface. I used satin paint and the end effect is really awesome. It has a very, very subtle texture.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, before anyone asks (if they care), this time I painted them on the car. It's a lot of taping and papering but often easier than removing the wiper arms.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 10-14-2017 at 09:52 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:39 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Looks great! I plan on doing this soon, my drivers side is down to the metal and looks like crap
Old 10-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #3
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Looks great! I plan on doing this soon, my drivers side is down to the metal and looks like crap
Thank you, kind sir. I regard it as one of those things that requires a minumum of effort and expense, is fun, and makes a huge difference in the overall appearance of the car.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 10-14-2017, 03:02 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I actually run two sets of arms. Self painted set in the winter, another set of OE that only see the summer.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2017, 03:36 PM   #5
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
I actually run two sets of arms. Self painted set in the winter, another set of OE that only see the summer.

Now that's my kinda car maintenance. I did look online but couldn't justify the price of a set of new arms.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:34 PM   #6
WeeYari

Got my 'summer' set in pristine condition from a wrecker a whole lot of years ago.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:13 PM   #7
06YarisRS

Quote:
Got my 'summer' set in pristine condition from a wrecker a whole lot of years ago.

I'll keep my eyes open for a junkyard car. Not too many places around here have Yari.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:26 AM   #8
WeeYari

Don't know what condition wrecker arms would be nowadays. When I got mine the Gen2 was only a couple model years old and wrecker finds were extremely rare. We had an Ottawa area member who came across one in a yard in his neck if the woods and I had him snag the arms for me. That was when my knuckles were starting to blister and I decided I wanted to have a good set to put on as part of switching from winter to summer mode.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:09 PM   #9
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:

Lol really? Maybe get another Yaris for summer only.

I painted mine a couple years ago. But still using the original wiper frame.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2017, 06:12 AM   #10
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
I painted mine a couple years ago. But still using the original wiper frame.

How are they holding up IllusionX? What kind of paint did you use? I actually thought about having a set - on an older vehicle I had - powder coated.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:25 AM   #11
IllusionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
How are they holding up IllusionX? What kind of paint did you use? I actually thought about having a set - on an older vehicle I had - powder coated.
I used tremclad! Painted it twice because if missed spot.

It's holding well. But the salt had already eating holes on the aluminum, so it's not pretty anyhow.

Will take pics later.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:19 AM   #12
06YarisRS

Quote:
I used tremclad! Painted it twice because if missed spot.

It's holding well. But the salt had already eating holes on the aluminum, so it's not pretty anyhow.

Will take pics later.

Yeah, I've used Tremclad before. It's tough stuff. This time I used el-cheapo Home hardware spray paint. Once it's fully cured, I'll put a couple of coats of my Klasse sealant glaze on them. I doubt the Home Hardware paint has much for UV blockers.

Looking forward to your pics.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:37 AM   #13
tmontague

I think I'll try the por-15 that everyone raves about, it's sold locally at CT
Old 10-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #14
IllusionX

Quote:
I think I'll try the por-15 that everyone raves about, it's sold locally at CT
I'd love to do under the car with por15. Oh well, next car I will definitely have it done. It's much better than the undercoating done by Toyota.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:36 PM   #15
tmontague

I'd probably think about it on a brand new car but in all honesty coating yearly in krown imo does impressive things to the point where I don't even think por15 would be needed. If I ever removed a rusted part from my car that is what I'd re paint it in though
Old 10-18-2017, 04:14 PM   #16
IllusionX

Quote:
I'd probably think about it on a brand new car but in all honesty coating yearly in krown imo does impressive things to the point where I don't even think por15 would be needed. If I ever removed a rusted part from my car that is what I'd re paint it in though
The thing is por15 encapsulate the rust and completely stops it from spreading. Is good for an old car.

But upon further reading, por15 is not for me because I have undercoating done.

I used to do yearly metropolitan, but I gave up somewhen around 2010 when I purchased my house.

The most damage was done when I parked the car in the garage. Note I have undercoated the car when it was new, so it is still mostly in great condition, except where 2 pieces of metal meets, as rust have formed around that.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:34 PM   #17
tmontague

Quote:
The most damage was done when I parked the car in the garage. Note I have undercoated the car when it was new, so it is still mostly in great condition, except where 2 pieces of metal meets, as rust have formed around that.

Interesting, this makes sense as rust starts forming when temps raise which woUlf happen in a garage
Old 10-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #18
IllusionX

Quote:
Interesting, this makes sense as rust starts forming when temps raise which woUlf happen in a garage
Actually it is because of the salt and heated garage. I keep my garage at 15°C and 21°C when I'm working in there.

Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if kept at 4°C

Anyways, I used tremclad rust paint in spray can for my wiper arm. It's actually only the aluminum part that rusted, so it blends in pretty well with the rest of the arm. The rest are still looking perfect albeit it lost some of its original shine.