Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-03-2009, 03:40 PM   #55
markitect

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
hey can anyone replicate sprint booster or blitz controller.. for maybe 1/4 of the cost.
I've been thinking about this:

The accelerator position sensor just has two output voltages.
So my guess is the Blitz/sprint controller is just a simple microcontroller with two analog inputs and two analog outputs, or even simply a rom with a table mapping the input to output and the switch changes an address base. There Might be RMS converters too.

Takes the voltages in, puts them into an equation and outputs the result on the outputs. Add a couple GPIO for the reverse sensing and mode switching, and something for the display.

That said you could use an oscilloscope to see the factory signal as the pedal moves, then come up with a desired signal over the range. Then find a mapping between the two.

You could then get an appropriate microcontroller and build your own.
Possibly design a analog circuit that will perform exactly one mapping.
Or have a rom with a lookup table with the analog inputs addressing it and the value in each address corresponds to the output at that input voltage.(This seem easiest, but someone that programs PIC microcontrollers will probably opt for number 1)

Last edited by markitect; 06-03-2009 at 04:10 PM.
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:40 PM   #56
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
I'm keeping an eye on this one, get some money quickly, we all want to see the results ^_^
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #57
bearda

Drives: 2006 Mazda3 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by markitect View Post
I've been thinking about this:

The accelerator position sensor just has two output voltages.
So my guess is the Blitz/sprint controller is just a simple microcontroller with two analog inputs and two analog outputs, or even simply a rom with a table mapping the input to output and the switch changes an address base. There Might be RMS converters too.

Takes the voltages in, puts them into an equation and outputs the result on the outputs. Add a couple GPIO for the reverse sensing and mode switching, and something for the display.

That said you could use an oscilloscope to see the factory signal as the pedal moves, then come up with a desired signal over the range. Then find a mapping between the two.

You could then get an appropriate microcontroller and build your own.
Possibly design a analog circuit that will perform exactly one mapping.
Or have a rom with a lookup table with the analog inputs addressing it and the value in each address corresponds to the output at that input voltage.(This seem easiest, but someone that programs PIC microcontrollers will probably opt for number 1)
I was messing around with doing something similar for my Mazda. I'd started on one design based on a signal ADC/DAC when I found out there were two APS signals and that they had to correlate. If anybody knows of a good cheap microcontroller with a built in two-channel 5V ADC and DAC maybe I'd get it started back up.

My plan was to hold the table in EEPROM and make it configurable over the serial port.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #58
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearda View Post
I was messing around with doing something similar for my Mazda. I'd started on one design based on a signal ADC/DAC when I found out there were two APS signals and that they had to correlate. If anybody knows of a good cheap microcontroller with a built in two-channel 5V ADC and DAC maybe I'd get it started back up.

My plan was to hold the table in EEPROM and make it configurable over the serial port.
hope you do start it again..cant wait
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:16 PM   #59
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:

I use PIC microcontrollers for everything - They're cheap and there are many options for I/O configurations (analog and digital). The DSPIC series have DACs, but I would actually go with a non-DSP one and use I2C DACs like the Microchip TC1321, that way you can chain as many as you need (up to 255 of them). I would really like to have a spare Yaris to experiment with (a wrecked one with a running engine would be fine).
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #60
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
i knew i should have stayed on my electronic engineering course..it would have come in handy..damn it.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:23 PM   #61
markitect

Drives: Yaris
https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/...C8051F0xx.aspx

The dev kit is under $100

someone should scope the signal to confirm its really a DC signal though, wish I had some more free time.
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:44 AM   #62
bearda

Drives: 2006 Mazda3 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by markitect View Post
https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/...C8051F0xx.aspx

The dev kit is under $100

someone should scope the signal to confirm its really a DC signal though, wish I had some more free time.
Hmm, that micro doesn't look too bad. I'll see if I can get a sample.

I know that on my Mazda I was able to pull APS voltage from the OBD-II PIDS, and it was a 0-5V DC signal. I'll see if I can hook my laptop up to the Yaris this weekend and confirm that it works that same. By the way, you really don't need a whole engine to test this, just the accelerator pedal.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:22 AM   #63
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Hmm, that micro doesn't look too bad. I'll see if I can get a sample.

I know that on my Mazda I was able to pull APS voltage from the OBD-II PIDS, and it was a 0-5V DC signal. I'll see if I can hook my laptop up to the Yaris this weekend and confirm that it works that same. By the way, you really don't need a whole engine to test this, just the accelerator pedal.

The only bad thing about that 8051 based mcu is the amount of support circuitry required. The PICs require far less.

The reason I would like to have a running engine to bench test with, is that I see taking this to the extreme of actually using the microcontroller to even fire the injectors. The injectors are controlled by a PWM signal. For Turbo and SC cars the system could then meter more fuel as required (by tweaking the PWM duty cycle).
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:09 AM   #64
chongopants
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via AIM to chongopants Send a message via MSN to chongopants
Bump! Sounds hoaxy so what happened?
chongopants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #65
SuperFunBall

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue 3dr LB MT
I think he gained so much power from the chipping that he broke the space time continuum, never to be seen again.

Sometimes you have to spit on your hands, raise the black flag, and start slashing throats
SuperFunBall is offline   Reply With Quote