Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-17-2009, 03:56 PM   #307
nickhjort
My R1 eats my Vitz!!

Drives: '07 Vitz Lifty, Stick Shift
Old 05-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #308
zlh99a

Drives: 2008 Hatchback
I just did this mod using nickhjort's method. Many thanks to nickhjort and ctscott! You guys rock!!!
zlh99a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:34 PM   #309
PatrickJohnson

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Nice job with the DIY switch. Hopefully this week I'll be able to ship you the module for driving the LED.
a quick diy on the PIC programming you used and the circuit would be great too!
PatrickJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:09 PM   #310
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
Well, I installed everything Sunday. Didn't work, which means I'll have to buy some spade connectors. Might just be the ground, but I'll keep trying.
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #311
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickJohnson View Post
a quick diy on the PIC programming you used and the circuit would be great too!
I finally got around to prototyping it last night. Tonight I'll try it out on my car, and if all is well, I'll post the info on it.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:03 AM   #312
nickhjort
My R1 eats my Vitz!!

Awsome. I'm glad everyone is having such good results with this project, minus mrbond, but you'll get it. Check your grounds :)

I got my clutch switch up and running today. It works just perfectly, but it truly is a frankenstein :) I will take some pics of the final setup when I get some daylight. You may want to just spend the 18 bucks and get the stock switch. It will definatly look way nicer than my setup. But no one will ever see it anyway, so if it works then who cares right? plus I only spent 3.50 for the switch. I had everything else on hand.

I can't wait for the LED module CTScott :) After that, my install is complete and I can finally take all the tools out of my car HAHA! Also let me know the cost of parts for that module so I can add that into my total cost...even though it will be a gift
Old 05-19-2009, 12:07 AM   #313
nickhjort
My R1 eats my Vitz!!

Total running tally for this mod so far:
$9.50 for two black switches, two packs of resistors, and the little LED mount thingies
$3.50 for pack of 4 switches for the clutch switch
$???? for the LED light module (soon to be completed by CTScott)

Also include the cost of wire, some spade connectors, soldering stuff, electrical tape, all of which I already had.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #314
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhjort View Post
Total running tally for this mod so far:
$9.50 for two black switches, two packs of resistors, and the little LED mount thingies
$3.50 for pack of 4 switches for the clutch switch
$???? for the LED light module (soon to be completed by CTScott)

Also include the cost of wire, some spade connectors, soldering stuff, electrical tape, all of which I already had.

I just road tested the LED driver module on my 09. Having the indicators on the combination meter was quite handy. It took a couple of rounds of the PIC firmware to get the switch debouncing correct. I am shipping it to you today. Below are a couple of pictures (the PCB and the packaged module). I will post the schematic when I have a chance. The module hardware is fairly simple; basically a Microchip PIC12HV615 microcontroller (with built-in shunt regulator), 9 resistors, and a NPN transistor. The PIC microcontroller monitors the switch input via one of its analog to digital inputs. This lets it sense the difference between the on/off switch and the other switches. The PIC "HV" series microcontrollers have a built-in regulator which allows them to operate off of an unregulated power supply, eliminating the need for a voltage regulator.

As you can see from the labels, there are three connections:

1. Switch Input - This input gets connected to the wires going from the ECM and ground to the switches (Red to CCS and Black to ground).

2. LED Output - This output drives the Cruise Control on/off LED. This supplies 12 VDC, so it is intended to drive a panel mount LED with a built-in resistor.

3. +12 VDC power input (IG switched) - This wire gets connected to an ignition switched 12 volt source. The easiest place to connect to is the pink wire on the ignition switch connector.

This module will work with the DIY switches or with an OEM cruise stalk. I am shipping nickhjort's for no charge in appreciation for him being the guinea pig for this mod. If anyone else is interested in a completed module, I would probably need to charge $25 shipped to cover the parts cost (with the silly little box being the most expensive component) and labor to assemble.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:56 PM   #315
PatrickJohnson

I'd love to see a schematic. I would be willing even to have some PCBs etched for people as drop-ins. Does this just drive the On/OFF LED? What about the SET light?

EDIT: I see you mentioned it can sense the difference between the switches, so I assume this drives both LED's. Again though, if you post the schematic I can etch actual circuit boards (instead of perfboard) for you or anyone else if there is interest.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:34 PM   #316
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I'd love to see a schematic. I would be willing even to have some PCBs etched for people as drop-ins. Does this just drive the On/OFF LED? What about the SET light?

EDIT: I see you mentioned it can sense the difference between the switches, so I assume this drives both LED's. Again though, if you post the schematic I can etch actual circuit boards (instead of perfboard) for you or anyone else if there is interest.
It just drives the power LED. Because the switches are all paralleled together, the ADC is required to differentiate the on/off switch from the other three.

The problem with driving a SET LED, based on just the switch, is that there are too many conditions where you could press the switch, but not really be "set". Tonight I should have a chance to drop the schematic into ORCAD. If there was enough interest in the modules I figured I would do a run of boards.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #317
PatrickJohnson

Quote:
It just drives the power LED. Because the switches are all paralleled together, the ADC is required to differentiate the on/off switch from the other three.

The problem with driving a SET LED, based on just the switch, is that there are too many conditions where you could press the switch, but not really be "set". Tonight I should have a chance to drop the schematic into ORCAD. If there was enough interest in the modules I figured I would do a run of boards.
I see. pretty cool either way. I was thinking of just doing a cmos flip flop switch to run the LED. I figured I could use the connection made by the on/off to touch a flip flop circuit or a relay and reset it's state, turning on the LED. of course, that might be using a sledgehammer to drive a thumb tack :)
Old 05-19-2009, 02:13 PM   #318
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I see. pretty cool either way. I was thinking of just doing a cmos flip flop switch to run the LED. I figured I could use the connection made by the on/off to touch a flip flop circuit or a relay and reset it's state, turning on the LED. of course, that might be using a sledgehammer to drive a thumb tack :)

I started off thinking I would use a flip flop, but you can't drive anything unless you change to a switch with a second set of contacts and you also have to maintain a high impedance to not confuse the ECM. The microcontroller is definitely overkill, but they are under $2.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:35 PM   #319
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
For controlling an indicator light- has anyone considered a DPST switch for on-off? Wouldn't work for the stock cruise switch, of course, but it should be OK for the improvised setups. Too simple?
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #320
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir A.Y. Atoyot View Post
For controlling an indicator light- has anyone considered a DPST switch for on-off? Wouldn't work for the stock cruise switch, of course, but it should be OK for the improvised setups. Too simple?
With a DPDT switch you'd still need a circuit to toggle the LED on and off. The circuit becomes simpler (a flip flop using two transistors or one IC), but is still required, as the switch is a momentary input, rather than a toggled one.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #321
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Quote:
With a DPDT switch you'd still need a circuit to toggle the LED on and off. The circuit becomes simpler (a flip flop using two transistors or one IC), but is still required, as the switch is a momentary input, rather than a toggled one.
I get it now.

If someone can come up with a tidy module to make this work, it could be a minor cottage industry. It should work with the OEM switch installations, as well as the improvised ones.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #322
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:

Here's the schematic:

Old 05-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #323
mg_xpower

Drives: na
Nice work. Please consider the fact a car power supply is really "dirty". You'll have to take bursts and surges into account. I'd add a nice big elco to VDD (at least 100uF 35V) and a 100nF 50V X5R/X7R ceramic capacitor close to the controller.

Are you measuring battery voltage at p6 ? -> Add 100nF over R7.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #324
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
If you have an 09 LB I'de say the ebay stalk with a sparks oem clutch switch is the way to go, anyone tried it/.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote