Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-27-2010, 03:57 AM   #469
stvee

Drives: 09 sedan
Well, in as much as I didn't ruin the steering wheel, clockspring, horn, or airbag, it went ok. Getting nothing out of the cruise, though. Was I supposed to have the power package or something? Boy I feel terrible.

Automatic 09 sedan and this guy.

CTScott, you've been incredibly kind.
stvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:18 AM   #470
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvee View Post
Well, in as much as I didn't ruin the steering wheel, clockspring, horn, or airbag, it went ok. Getting nothing out of the cruise, though. Was I supposed to have the power package or something? Boy I feel terrible.

Automatic 09 sedan and this guy.

CTScott, you've been incredibly kind.

On the connector at the other end of the clock spring (the one on the bottom of the steering column) does your sedan have the blue and brown wires, or just the black wire?

Some of the 09 sedans have the wiring from the ECM to that connector, others do not (and hence you have to run the wire from the connector to the ECM poin 40). All 09 LBs had that wire run, but not all Sedans.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #471
stvee

Took off steering column cover and I've got one black wire. Still calling this a win if I don't have to take the steering wheel off anymore.

So two wires where the blue and brown ones would be. Which one goes where? All the crosstalk between autos and manuals and stalks and switches has jellied my brain. Should I switch to PM or something? I'm feeling less potentially instructive by the minute.

Last edited by stvee; 03-28-2010 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #472
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Took off steering column cover and I've got one black wire. Still calling this a win if I don't have to take the steering wheel off anymore.

So two wires where the blue and brown ones would be. Which one goes where? All the crosstalk between autos and manuals and stalks and switches has jellied my brain. Should I switch to PM or something? I'm feeling less potentially instructive by the minute.
The Blue is the wire that needs to be run to the ECM. The brown is a ground.

In this thread, I have the part numbers for the pins for that connector:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ght=diy+cruise
Old 04-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #473
stvee

We are talking about the connector furthest left of that picture, right? I ordered two spiral connector repair terminals and one ecm repair terminal. The connector in the ecm repair terminal looked like a perfect fit for the ones in the steering column. Should I go for two more of those or do I have the wrong connector?
Old 04-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #474
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
We are talking about the connector furthest left of that picture, right? I ordered two spiral connector repair terminals and one ecm repair terminal. The connector in the ecm repair terminal looked like a perfect fit for the ones in the steering column. Should I go for two more of those or do I have the wrong connector?
Yes - Left most connector. The pins are slightly different for the ECM and the spiral cable connector. The part numbers are listed in this thread:

Old 05-11-2010, 09:18 PM   #475
rhaagusa

Drives: 2010 yaris sedan
Getting ebay Thailand stalk to work?

Did you get your stalk from Thailand working? If so, what did you need to do? Robert
rhaagusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #476
rhaagusa

I just received the stalk (Thailand eBay, $30) to use on a new 2010 sedan automatic. It came with a wire (2 wires attached to the white plastic clip/plugs at each end). Can anyone tell me if I just plug it in as is, or do I need to switch over what has been called the airbag or horn ground wire?
Old 05-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #477
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhaagusa View Post
I just received the stalk (Thailand eBay, $30) to use on a new 2010 sedan automatic. It came with a wire (2 wires attached to the white plastic clip/plugs at each end). Can anyone tell me if I just plug it in as is, or do I need to switch over what has been called the airbag or horn ground wire?
If it came with a cable that has a white four pin connector, with two going to the stalk, one empty and one going to a female spade lug, then you pull off the existing horn cable and plug the new one into the horn and connect it to the spiral cable connector.

If it came with a cable that has the white connector, but lacks the horn wire, then you have to remove the horn wire from the existing white connector and transfer it to the new one.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #478
rhaagusa

horn/ ground wire

Thanks CTScott and all for the info. I did later find the answer to this question had been answered earlier. So much info and so many threads. We're really happy and thankful to be getting cruise so inexpensively and easily. Robert H
Old 05-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #479
rhaagusa

Went by the dealer to get the proper screws which they didn't have, but found out they appear to be 5mm. I checked at Loews and 10/32 does fit loosely in a 5mm nut, but 5mm should fit right.
One more question please: While I was there he showed me a little pack of what I think was 2 black wires, and some zip ties. He said it was required, and it cost $12. At one end was the very small ends that go in the white clip type connectors, and at the other end of one was a screw down round tab type like used for a ground, that fits under a nut or screw head. Couldn't see the other ones end through the baggy packaging.
So anyway what are these wires and are they needed on a 2010 sedan automatic? If so where do they go and are there any directions and pics posted?
Hoping to only go in there once, so thanks very much, Robert
Old 05-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #480
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Went by the dealer to get the proper screws which they didn't have, but found out they appear to be 5mm. I checked at Loews and 10/32 does fit loosely in a 5mm nut, but 5mm should fit right.
One more question please: While I was there he showed me a little pack of what I think was 2 black wires, and some zip ties. He said it was required, and it cost $12. At one end was the very small ends that go in the white clip type connectors, and at the other end of one was a screw down round tab type like used for a ground, that fits under a nut or screw head. Couldn't see the other ones end through the baggy packaging.
So anyway what are these wires and are they needed on a 2010 sedan automatic? If so where do they go and are there any directions and pics posted?
Hoping to only go in there once, so thanks very much, Robert

Can you post a picture of what wiring you received with your stalk? From that I can tell you whether you need the wires he was trying to sell you.

As for the screws, the one that I bought (attached to a Scion steering wheel) had the screws with it. I just checked with my extra steering wheel and an 8-32 screw fits. I don't have a 5mm to try, but I tried 5mm taps (fine and coarse) and they seem to be too big for the hole.

Here's a picture of my Scion one mounted and wired. The Scion cruise cable had a different spiral cable connector, so I pulled the pins out of the connector and moved them to the Yaris connector.

Cruise Stalk.jpg
Old 05-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #481
rhaagusa

As you've probably seen, the ebay Thailand stalk photo doesn't show the connector. though the connector looks just like the one in your photo with spots to accept 4 wires, though it comes with just 2 wires coming from the stalk. It's also the same as the ones in photos 3, 4, and 5 posted here (though it has no horn/ ground which as you said I'll be transferring):
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...171992&page=22[IMG]

I'm wondering if the wires the parts guy showed me are for wiring to the ECM, though th chart you posted (man you're really on top of all these threads) says my 2010 automatic Sedan doesn't need these. What do you think?

Again, thank you so much! Robert
Old 05-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #482
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
As you've probably seen, the ebay Thailand stalk photo doesn't show the connector. though the connector looks just like the one in your photo with spots to accept 4 wires, though it comes with just 2 wires coming from the stalk. It's also the same as the ones in photos 3, 4, and 5 posted here (though it has no horn/ ground which as you said I'll be transferring):
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...171992&page=22[IMG]

I'm wondering if the wires the parts guy showed me are for wiring to the ECM, though th chart you posted (man you're really on top of all these threads) says my 2010 automatic Sedan doesn't need these. What do you think?

Again, thank you so much! Robert

If your Thailand one has the two wires from the stalk (in the positions shown in my picture above) then you don't need the wires that your parts guy showed you. The wires you described would be for adding the two connections from the stalk to the existing connector.

As for the ECM run, it seems to be hit or miss with 09 sedans. You'll have to look at the spiral cable connector, under the steering wheel for the brown and blue wires, and then also check the ECM connector to see if pin 40 is populated.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #483
rhaagusa

OK, sounds good. I'll look to check for the brown and blue wires, and ECM connector and pin 40. Are these all easily visible with the air bag off, or can you direct me to any threads with info on checking these.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #484
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
OK, sounds good. I'll look to check for the brown and blue wires, and ECM connector and pin 40. Are these all easily visible with the air bag off, or can you direct me to any threads with info on checking these.
No need to pull the airbag. Just remove the lower steering column cover to see the spiral cable connector (the one in the lower left is the connector you are looking for). It will either have just a black wire, or will have the black, brown and blue like this picture:

For the ECM connector, you have to pop the connector, and then you can look at the business end of the connector to see if the pin is populated (shining a flashlight into the connector will help you to see if the metal pin is in the hole for pin 40).
Old 05-13-2010, 02:27 PM   #485
rhaagusa

Thanks for your patience. Hope this is not sounding too dumb; how do I remove the lower steering column cover, and how do you tell which is pin # 40. Is it labeled?
Old 05-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #486
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks for your patience. Hope this is not sounding too dumb; how do I remove the lower steering column cover, and how do you tell which is pin # 40. Is it labeled?
This thread shows the location of the three screws for removing the lower steering column:

And, this one shows the details of checking pink 40 on the ECM connector. The pins are not labeled, but you can easily find the pin 40 position with the photo as a reference.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...e+module+%2425