Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
bingroy
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 yaris
Basic question on Engine oil

Mates,

Newbie here! I changed my engine oil at my dealership recently. Upon returning home, I took out the yellow dipstick engine oil indicator and noticed that only the tail 1 inch to be actually covered in pale yellowish colored oil. Secondly, when I opened the black "cork screw" on the top of the engine, I noted that there were no visible signs of oil in the chamber. Am I missing something? How much of the "dipstick" indicator should be covered in oil when I take it out of the holder? Shouldnt there be visible signs of oil both on the dipstick & the chamber? Can the dealership be callous enough to put the wrong amount of oil?

Thanks
bingroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
hw6515

Drives: 08 Yaris AT, 350Z GT MT
Oil should be between this two points, your dipstick could be different but will have some marking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0645.jpg (116.5 KB, 62 views)
hw6515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
what are you expecting to see in the fill port? the bulk of the oil sits in the pan unless you are running. This engine only takes 3.9 quarts and that includes the oil that sits in the filter.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #4
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
one inch is ok, but it sounds like it could take one more pint.

If it's hard to see? use a sharpie on the dip stick, as the cleanest oil is easy to see on a black dip stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingroy View Post
Mates,

Newbie here! I changed my engine oil at my dealership recently. Upon returning home, I took out the yellow dipstick engine oil indicator and noticed that only the tail 1 inch to be actually covered in pale yellowish colored oil. Secondly, when I opened the black "cork screw" on the top of the engine, I noted that there were no visible signs of oil in the chamber. Am I missing something? How much of the "dipstick" indicator should be covered in oil when I take it out of the holder? Shouldnt there be visible signs of oil both on the dipstick & the chamber? Can the dealership be callous enough to put the wrong amount of oil?

Thanks
UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
Yarflana

Drives: 2008 Base Model
If you can...do your own oil changes in the future. I am planning to.
Yarflana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
Changing oil in the yaris is really easy. the oil filter is right there past the front bumper. My other car has the oil filter on the back of the motor near the firewall and just above the exhaust flex pipe. that really sucks.

I've been changing my own oil for quite some time.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingroy View Post
Mates,

Thanks
oil thread troll!