Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-03-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
Logix_00

Drives: V949 TAT
Clutch, gearbox or something else!

Hi new to this forum and not had a Yaris for long! I do most services and work on cars I have owed but this one has me stumped.

My girlfriend recently bought a 2000 plate Toyota Yaris 1.3 SR, it pulls fine and drives fairly well few little things to do (tracking and wheel bearing!). I adjusted the handbrake the other night and took then took it for a first spin. When in gear there is grinding noise that gets louder the faster you go. The clutch is soft and the gear changes aren't great but I've driven far worse. As said it makes this noise while driving along but if you press the clutch it stops maybe very quietly continues.

I've changed the gearbox oil and bleed the clutch neither of which have helped. I've even checked the hight of the clutch as per spec but seems to be in the right place.

What I need to know is this the clutch, gearbox or something else and what people would recommend as a plan of action?

Thanks in advance.
Logix_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
Has it being this before or did it start suddenly?
I would suspect the throw out bearing or a gear box issue. Drain the gear box and look
for metal frags. You can use a magnate for the fluid. A minor amount is normal,
chunks are not. If that's ok, my guess would be throwout bearing.
steve
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
Logix_00

hey nortonfb, thanks for reply. Having only just bought the car I don't know, when it started. I did the gearbox oil and didn't see any large chunks so hoping its not that. I noticed today when driving past a wall that it also has a high pitch chirp that stops when I engage the clutch so I think you could be right about it being the release / throwout bearing. If this has been going for a while could this have also messed up the input shaft bearing as well and that's making the majority of the grinding noise or could the throwout bearing be making all the noise?

I'm based in the UK, what would be a reasonable price to pay a garage to change the throwout bearing, considering they have to take the gearbox out I'm guessing its not going to cheep, but with work at the moment I'm not sure I'm going to have time!

Also assuming it is the throwout bearing should I avoid driving it at all cost apart from going down to the garage to give it to them? It seems to drive and pull fine, just don't really what it to go pop on me!?
Old 08-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
Logix_00

I've also just had another look at the engine, I think I might have noticed where the problem has come from the rubber joint that is used where the clutch leaver arms goes into the gear box has quite a large cut in it! Therefore I'm assuming there will be no grease on the throwout bearing hence the chirping noise and no grease and dirt maybe on the input shaft thus the grinding noise.

I'm assuming that at this stage I can't just inject new grease and glue the rubber joint (gaiter) back together?
Old 08-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
I'm not that familiar with it, but it sounds like it's worth a try.
Steve
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:40 PM   #6
Logix_00

Just taken it to a local garage who my neighbour has used for years and he knows the right people. The guy took it for a spin and believes its the gearbox and the clutch! So now its on the hunt for a cheep gear box and way up if I'm going to do it myself or shell out an extra £250!!

Tags
clutch, gearbox