Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-08-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
hood latch

I have one of those preventative questions to save me a lot of hassle down the road.

Last week my gf's 02 Echo's hood cable snapped at the latch. I was able to remove the grill and manually open the primary latch and then the secondary and pop the hood. I used a bike cable with a bolt crimped on the latch end and it now works fine again.

I decided to check out my 08 Yaris and realized that due to the change in hood/grill placement if my cable ever broke at the latch I am not too sure how I'd be able to manually open the primary latch. Has anyone had to do this before or know about a way to manually open the primary latch if needed?
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The 2nd gen would be tricky to get the hood open on if the cable snapped. You would have to get under the car and reach up to the latch. The plastic under cover might even need to be removed to get the proper view to do it.