Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #1
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
Wheel bearing wobble?

My 09 Yaris sedan seems to be suffering from the same problem that I talk about below. The car has 200k miles on it. I wanted to ask you guys if you've ever experienced this. I recently replaced the sway bar links on the Yaris, cause they were shot. So that isn't the issue here.

Anyway I Just replaced my front wheel bearings on my 1987 chevy silverado, and man what a difference. Everyone always talks about how you'll know they're bad: Mainly that it will make a noise and when you jack up the vehicle and rock the tire, you'll be able to tell. But does anyone ever talk about how bad wheel bearings make the vehicle seem to... wobble side to side? Its almost as if high winds were buffeting the vehicle from the side. On the highway. Its not all that noticeable when just driving through the neighborhood, or in town at lower speeds. But sometimes even then.

Could my 200k mile yaris be suffering from the same problem? Worn out wheel bearings. Could the slight wobble from side to side at highway speeds, be the result of bad wheel bearings? I wanted to ask because an 09 yaris is pretty different in many ways, in comparison to an old chevy truck. But they both seem to be behaving in the exact same way, and when I replaced the wheel bearings on the chevy, it completely fixed the problem.
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:06 AM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Possibly, but the yaris is a much much lighter vehicle and tends to be easier on bearings as well as normally shifts side to side from the wind. Unless this is a problem you just started noticing, i wouldn't change them for the sake of changing them. Unless your wheel has play in it while jacked up or the wheel spins with resistance inn the bearings
Old 04-06-2018, 10:53 AM   #3
BennyLava

Yes it is a problem that I just started noticing. It will now do it, even on windless days. So I guess... put the car in neutral and spin the wheels?

Also, its definitely the passenger side. I tested the driver's side and its all good. Can't rock the tire from top to bottom, or side to side. Its pretty stiff. But on the passenger side, it rocks pretty good and you can hear a bit of a clunk when you rock it. Only thing is, it doesn't really rock evenly. It only seems to have movement near the front of the car.

So you can wiggle the tire side to side, or from top to bottom, and only the part of the wheel that is closer to the front of the car seems to be loose. The back end of the wheel, (the half that is closer to the driver's door than the front of the car) seems to be pretty stiff. Basically you can grab the right side of the tire, and wiggle it and it will clunk and be loose. But if you grab the left side, its still fairly stiff. If you grab both sides of the tire at once and wiggle it, you notice that only the right side of the tire really has much movement. I thought that a wheel bearing would be evenly distributed in its... looseness. So maybe its a dead tie rod?
Old 04-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #4
tmontague

Likely a wheel bearing then but i would take a pet bar and pet the control arm around to see if it is a bushing, ball joint or tie rod. Chances are high it's the wheel bearing
Old 04-06-2018, 12:40 PM   #5
BennyLava

Hmm never heard of a pet bar. I have a pickle fork for separating ball joints.

But I just found out the wife ran over a median the other day with that side. So she probably broke something. Shouldn't be too awful hard to find once I crawl under there and get a good look around. I would like to see what a pet bar looks like though.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:33 PM   #6
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyLava View Post
Hmm never heard of a pet bar. I have a pickle fork for separating ball joints.

But I just found out the wife ran over a median the other day with that side. So she probably broke something. Shouldn't be too awful hard to find once I crawl under there and get a good look around. I would like to see what a pet bar looks like though.
Spell check ftw! Pry bar is What I meant
Old 04-06-2018, 04:33 PM   #7
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Pet bar...so that's where Fido has been all night.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:26 PM   #8
BennyLava

Now he's drunk.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:22 PM   #9
BennyLava

An update:

Car has to go to the dealership. I'm thinking that the "wheel bearing wobble" and the popping and creaking noise that I mentioned in another thread, are related. As I said you can rock the front passenger tire side to side, and only one side is loose. If the other side of the wheel was that loose when you rocked the wheel side to side, you'd say "Oh yeah you got a bad wheel bearing for sure."

Yesterday me and my mechanic friend looked for the popping and creaking noise for over an hour. If he couldn't come up with anything, its probably something the dealer will have to find. I think maybe something is loose inside the transmission, near where the CV shaft attaches. Maybe its the end of the shaft itself, who knows. But there is nothing wrong with any of the suspension or steering. It only pops and creaks when you accelerate, or when you hit the brakes. The wheel being wobbly, also makes the car do some road walking. Where you'll be driving along and it will feel like a high wind buffeted the side of the car. Even when there is no wind.

But the car does have 200k on it, so things like this are to be expected.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:54 AM   #10
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
Yesterday I talked to a friend of mine who drives old Hyundai Getz (2007 I think) and he mentioned that whenever he breaks he can hear some popping and clunking. The mechanic was not able to find any problem with the chassis but found out that the noise comes from the manual transmission. He mentioned that the transmission will sooner or later break up which will be most probably the end for the car - the gearboxes are in general quite expensive, even if you take one from a junkyard. And the change also costs quite some money.
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:11 AM   #11
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
We just replaced the front passenger side wheel bearing on an 09 Dodge Grand Caravan in our shop. The bearing was making a loud scraping sound, like dry metal on metal and increased with speed. We did all the typical tests, except for using a dial indicator for run out. There was absolutely no play at the 3 and 9 and 12 and 6 o'clock positions. A pry bar under the wheel yeilded absoultely no movement/shifting or play of any kind. In summary, everythng was as tight as could be. We replaced the bearing and the noise competely disappeared and the vehicle seemed 'tighter'.

I would be looking at the tie rod as you mentioned in your first post. Also, could the wheel have been bent or a tire belt blown after the median incident? That would definitely cause wobble. Did you spin the wheel when you had it jacked up?

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote