Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-25-2023, 05:21 AM   #1
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
DIY Rear lower sway bar for mk2

heya guys, so i realize the rear lower sway bar by most comapnies is just two drilled plates and a piece of bar.

We can make this with some 2mm steel plate and some 30-40mm steel square bar.

Now you could weld this but you can easily bolt this together too if you only have a drill.

Here is the megan racing brace I will copy, the amount of bolts they are using is overkill, some brace us two but I figured 3 would traigulated would be enough each side. this allows you to use a piece of 2mm x50mm sheets or even cut large steel square bar like i have.

Here is my started brackets, 3 bolts each side and enough room to weld the square bar on the end.

Tomorrow will mig weld it up, paint it and post finished product before taking the car for a good test drive.

Last edited by Compeer; 11-27-2023 at 06:37 AM.
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 06:48 AM   #2
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
Decided on a more inturned "D" shaped bar and down sized the cross member part to 20mm square tube after studying the trd bar and watching a bunch of stuff on building sway bars.

Gave it a few coats of Zinc black paint

And then got it mounted on the car, bit hard to see but it fits perfectly and feels very solid.

The back end already feels beter, haven't taken it for a real good drive, but just around town after making it , the back end felt nicer, like I was not being forced to hold myself on myset quite so much, cant wait to add the new front strut bar i got and put the tien flex z back on. Also may add some extra little bolt on ears that join the lower shock mount to the spring seat as well, didnt want them on this bar as it would have been a night to get on and off (already is tricky).

Last edited by Compeer; 11-27-2023 at 07:09 AM.
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 11:35 AM   #3
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
I have an '09 Yaris. bought new in '09
Years ago I installed an after market rear "sway bar."
It improved its handling quite noticeably and I recommend it
With its solid rear axle you would not think it would but it really does..

Last edited by RedRide; 02-20-2024 at 02:42 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote