Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-17-2009, 11:54 PM   #1
Yaryaryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB 5-spd
Canadian Echo HB vs. US Yaris HB?

The fact that the Echo HB wasn't offered to us here is just one more reason I want to move to Canada (along with working health care system, lack of plutocracy, pristine beauty, etc.) Before I bought my Yaris I was even considering buying a wrecked Echo here, then buying an Echo HB there and swapping VIN's (Hey, it worked on several festivas I've owned.

My question is, does the Echo get much better MPG's? It's lighter, correct?

Any other differences except the body moldings? I like the looks of it, less cartoon'ish compared to the Yaris (which I also love BTW)

Brenton
Old 12-18-2009, 12:48 AM   #2
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaryaryaris View Post
The fact that the Echo HB wasn't offered to us here is just one more reason I want to move to Canada (along with working health care system, lack of plutocracy, pristine beauty, etc.) Before I bought my Yaris I was even considering buying a wrecked Echo here, then buying an Echo HB there and swapping VIN's (Hey, it worked on several festivas I've owned.

My question is, does the Echo get much better MPG's? It's lighter, correct?

Any other differences except the body moldings? I like the looks of it, less cartoon'ish compared to the Yaris (which I also love BTW)

Brenton
There are plenty of them around here - both 3-door and 5-door. They're similar to a Yaris, but actually a completely different car - no body parts in common. I think that the engine is basically the same. The Yaris is slightly bigger.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Yaris is quite a bit larger, alright. The Echo still has a cable throttle, rather than that stupid electronic system, so there's a plus. My buddy's Echo 3-door is getting slightly poorer FE than my Yaris sedan; that may have to do with driving style, or the throttle system, don't know which...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
Sidicas

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
I saw somebody driving an echo sedan recently..
Sidicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
echo hatch is much closer to a USDM echo than a yaris...

but yes, the echo hatch is closer to 2100 or 2200lbs where a 3dr yaris is about 2300
Old 12-18-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
toyo

Drives: toyota
I own a 5 dr HB, non canadian, but I do get around 44 mpg city with light traffic. 2nzfe, 1.3L
Old 12-19-2009, 12:25 AM   #7
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I see lots of Echo sedans here now. Didn't see a lot when they were being sold.

The Echo sedan was the Platz. The Echo hatchback was the Vitz. Second generation Vitz is the new Yaris hatchback, and the Belta is the Yaris sedan. Four different cars that share powertrains and little else.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote