Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
How long does Toyota anti freeze last?

How long can/should the OEM LL antifreeze last before changing?
I have have read and heard too many different opinions on this.

My Yaris is 4 years old. However, it only has about 13k miles on it.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
harda toenail

Drives: Want a yaris
Mine lasted until the water pump leaked :( but it was under warranty :)

I'd change it if it got about 5 years old in your case as you don't drive a lot. Just a personal opinion. Think about the millions of people that never change antifreeze. You should be ok for now
harda toenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
RedRide

This thread illustrates my confusion on this as no one ever seems to know....anywhere.

How can this be that one knows how long its safe to leave it in ?
All I ever hear is "I heard" or "I guess" etc no matter where I inquire.

BTW, I do not want to be like " the millions of people" who do not maintain their vehicles properly.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Geoff Peace

Drives: Yaris 1.33 litre 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
How long can/should the OEM LL antifreeze last before changing?
I have have read and heard too many different opinions on this.

My Yaris is 4 years old. However, it only has about 13k miles on it.
Look under the bonnet. Sorry, hood in the US! on the underside of the hood you should find a sticker which says filled with Toyota super coolant 10 year life. This answers your question! Whether or not it will actually last 10 years I do not know.
Regards Geoff Peace.
Geoff Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Peace View Post
Look under the bonnet. Sorry, hood in the US! on the underside of the hood you should find a sticker which says filled with Toyota super coolant 10 year life. This answers your question! Whether or not it will actually last 10 years I do not know.
Regards Geoff Peace.

It will last a billion years!

Your car is another story!
Old 06-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
RedRide

Quote:
.........Whether or not it will actually last 10 years I do not know.
Exactly........ no one knows.

IMO, the 10 year life stated it just a marketing gimmick.
After 10 years a customer will either have sold/traded the car or, accept any needed repairs for a 100k miles car caused by not changing it ........... well after the warranty has expired.

Al vehicle manufactures want to claim that their vehicles are more maintenance free than the competition's whether it's actually true or not .

BTW, there is not a sticker concerning coolant under my "hood". The sole info I got with my '09 in the US is a reference in the OEM service schedule pamphlet saying to change it after 10 years or 1000k miles.
"10 years" ??

Last edited by RedRide; 06-22-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
Geoff Peace

Quote:
Exactly........ no one knows.

IMO, the 10 year life stated it just a marketing gimmick.
After 10 years a customer will either have sold/traded the car or, accept any needed repairs for a 100k miles car caused by not changing it ........... well after the warranty has expired.

Al vehicle manufactures want to claim that their vehicles are more maintenance free than the competition's whether it's actually true or not .

BTW, there is not a sticker concerning coolant under my "hood". The sole info I got with my '09 in the US is a reference in the OEM service schedule pamphlet saying to change it after 10 years or 1000k miles.
"10 years" ??
I agree that 10 years is a rather tall order. I use 5 year antifreeze and change it at three years in my Mazda. As to the sticker there is one on my 2011 Yaris and on my previous one 2005. Perhaps it is for the UK market. Cannot think why though.
Regards Geoff Peace.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Peace View Post
I agree that 10 years is a rather tall order. I use 5 year antifreeze and change it at three years in my Mazda. As to the sticker there is one on my 2011 Yaris and on my previous one 2005. Perhaps it is for the UK market. Cannot think why though.
Regards Geoff Peace.
UK would make more sense, as he lists 1000k miles (1 million miles)...wouldn't 1000k kilometers (620,000 miles) make more sense? Then again, perhaps it was a typo and he meant 100k miles.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
Geoff Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
UK would make more sense, as he lists 1000k miles (1 million miles)...wouldn't 1000k kilometers (620,000 miles) make more sense? Then again, perhaps it was a typo and he meant 100k miles.
Sticker states 10 years or 100,000 miles. I never take much notice of the mileage as I only cover about 3,000 miles a year. The first components of antifreeze to degrade are the corrosion inhibitors. It will probably never freeze but the corrosion inhibitors prevent internal corrosion which means the head gasket is the first casualty. Antifreeze is cheaper than head gaskets!
Regards Geoff Peace.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #10
harda toenail

Drives: Want a yaris
If you're worried go change it. Simple as that.
harda toenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #11
RedRide

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

G-o-l-l-y, Sur-prise, sur-prise, sur-prise!......... Why didn't I think of that?
Old 06-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #12
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Google It! Found This Interesting Site -

http://www.waynesgarage.com/docs/engine_coolant.htm

Here is the 1st few lines of text:

It is very important that antifreeze or engine coolant is changed every two years (four years for vehicles with long life coolant) to replenish the additives that protect the cooling system from rust, corrosion, pitting, electrolysis, gelling and foaming. Your automobile cooling system should have a concentration of 50% to 70% antifreeze to water at all times.

Vehicles using Extended Life antifreezes should be changed in about 50,000 miles or 4 years to prevent system damage and radiators and heater cores from plugging up.

Hope this helps, makes sense to me.

It is from a repair garage website.

Fluids & filters are the most important things to keep clean
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

G-o-l-l-y, Sur-prise, sur-prise, sur-prise!......... Why didn't I think of that?
Because Sgt. Carter wasn't there to remind you .
Old 06-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #14
RedRide

^ ^ ^ ^

Thanks.

I guess I will change it next year.

BTW, I did Google it but, all I found was conflicting opinions as I said.
However, the link you posted is one that I missed.

In any event, it is now becoming evident that it would be a wise thing to change it after about 50.000 miles/5 years.
Yeah, it might last longer but, you might be taking a chance.

As far as "life time anti freeze"...... does anyone really take this marketing gimmick seriously besides maybe, the seriously mechanically challenged?

Last edited by RedRide; 06-23-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:41 AM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
^ ^ ^ ^

Thanks.

I guess I will change it next year.

BTW, I did Google it but, all I found was conflicting opinions as I said.
However, the link you posted is one that I missed.

In any event, it is now becoming evident that it would be a wise thing to change it after about 50.000 miles/5 years.
Yeah, it might last longer but, you might be taking a chance.

As far as "life time anti freeze"...... does anyone really take this marketing gimmick seriously besides maybe, the seriously mechanically challenged?
I'm king of going with 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. I've added coolant, but I've never done a flush (July 7th = 6 years 9 months and right now = 248k + miles). Trini is just now replacing his OEM water pump at just over 500,000 miles, and a flush = not on his detailed list of maintenance and repairs.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #16
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
don't break it

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I'm king of going with 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. I've added coolant, but I've never done a flush (July 7th = 6 years 9 months and right now = 248k + miles). Trini is just now replacing his OEM water pump at just over 500,000 miles, and a flush = not on his detailed list of maintenance and repairs.
I agree if it aint broke.............don't try to fix it or it will be broke when you get done..LOL I haven't replaced mine in 3.5 years and I bought the 2005 Tacoma used and now has 122k miles, no problems so far. Toyota long life coolant-leave it alone.
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #17
RedRide

BTW, just about all the info on the net about this is just "hearsay" with its origins aparrently derived directly from marketing claims.
As the saying goes, "believe half of what you hear and none of what you read on the net."

The US is a comparatively larger county and not nearly as homogeneous as the UK or some other counties my be.
So, things tend to be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.
We do not get a lot of things on our cars (destined for the N. American market) that may be standard in other countries.

Last edited by RedRide; 06-23-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #18
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
AMSOIL's coolant is guaranteed for 7 years or 250k miles:

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...nt/?z0=1981306

I have known a few folks that have used it for that duration, but as previously stated a lot of folks don't keep vehicles that long or else if they do they never think to change the coolant which can be a catch 22 on whether or not something can happen. The change interval is just as critical in your case even though you only have 13k because with such a small amount of mileage many times the lubricants are not "moving" through the system and can become stagnant or begin a molecular breakdown. This is amplified greatly in regions with true winter temperatures (freezing or below). As for the Toyota coolant I have had great success without changing for several years. Not sure if this information is helpful in your case or not?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote