Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #217
Henry G.

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
OK, I DID IT!! When I first felt the car accelerate to hold the speed it made it all worth it.
Total cost $50, had to buy multi pack of resistors and second set of switches, still worth every penny.

Second switch pad ready for install

Plugged in ready for test drive. I used connectors to unplug the first switch pad and plug in the second correctly wired one.

Clutch jumper going to fuse box.

ECM wire tucked into harness

ECM and clutch wires coming thru heater hose grommet. Im not thrilled with this set up, I will likely get a grommet and drill a hole thru the firewall next to the hoses in the near future.

Ground wire going to bolt on gas pedal. I couldnt find the previously mentioned ground wire, this worked great, easy to get to. With the plastic re-installed you cannot see this wire at all.

AND final install.
Thanks for everyone who contributed posts along the way, the DIY and CTScotts expert info, after reading everything it all came together, I made it harder than it had to be by not getting the right resistors up front, and wiring in the wrong ones in the first switch pad. I have some extra resistors if anyone wants them PM me.
Hank
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #218
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthebeh View Post
To anyone that did what I did and pushed the rubber stopper down instead of up. I used a very small drill bit and twisted it with my fingers and it cought and I was able to pull it out. it took me about an hour to get this out, sucked big time
You should have been able to just push it out from the other end with a paperclip. I pushed the wrong way, too.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #219
yongtaufoo

Drives: My 1st Toyota
Hi guys,

Any one can advice me where i can purchase the repair wire for ECM pin 40 for cruise control DIY? Its made by Tyco right? Anybody knows the Tyco part number?
yongtaufoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #220
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yongtaufoo View Post
Hi guys,

Any one can advice me where i can purchase the repair wire for ECM pin 40 for cruise control DIY? Its made by Tyco right? Anybody knows the Tyco part number?
I posted the Toyota part number in the thread below. Your best bet is to get it from Toyota. I have tried ordering some of the Tyco pins, but they are OEM custom parts, so you can't get them from Tyco distributors.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ght=faq+cruise
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:32 PM   #221
Happy Little Pony

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
I must offer major thanks to everyone who has worked so hard on the whole cruise control project.

I just spent the afternoon installing the "two switch" method on my 2007 with manual transmission. It works!
Happy Little Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #222
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Little Pony View Post
I must offer major thanks to everyone who has worked so hard on the whole cruise control project.

I just spent the afternoon installing the "two switch" method on my 2007 with manual transmission. It works!
Congratulations Happy Little Pony !!

I have the factory cruise, but am trying to talk my buddy into doing this
on his 2007 MT. I also know someone with a 2008 AT that does a lot of
highway driving, and think he should do this to his as well.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #223
crazyandroid

Drives: 2007 Polar White Sedan
Hi there, I have been considering doing this mod and I am waiting on my parts (ordered switches, resistors, and wire from allelectronics.com); however I have one question. I did not see anywhere in here which wire goes where for the clutch switch. I have an '07 sedan w/ MT and I have the Toyota clutch switch, which has two posts and I see that there are two posts to connect to the CC switches in the fuse box. Could someone please clarify for me how to run the wires from the clutch switch to the fuse box connections, if it even matters. BTW, I will have extras of each resistor so if anyone wants em I'll mail them to you, just PM me.
crazyandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #224
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyandroid View Post
Hi there, I have been considering doing this mod and I am waiting on my parts (ordered switches, resistors, and wire from allelectronics.com); however I have one question. I did not see anywhere in here which wire goes where for the clutch switch. I have an '07 sedan w/ MT and I have the Toyota clutch switch, which has two posts and I see that there are two posts to connect to the CC switches in the fuse box. Could someone please clarify for me how to run the wires from the clutch switch to the fuse box connections, if it even matters. BTW, I will have extras of each resistor so if anyone wants em I'll mail them to you, just PM me.
There is no polarity to the clutch switch, so you don't have to worry about which terminal on the switch goes to which of the two wires in the fuse box.

You simply run the two wires from the clutch switch to the two wires in the under-hood fuse box, and make your connections.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #225
crazyandroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
There is no polarity to the clutch switch, so you don't have to worry about which terminal on the switch goes to which of the two wires in the fuse box.

You simply run the two wires from the clutch switch to the two wires in the under-hood fuse box, and make your connections.
Thank you very much! I can't wait for my switches to come in!
Old 05-11-2010, 01:08 PM   #226
PhillyG

Drives: 2009 Yaris
hi guys.. i am very interested in doing this to my yaris. does this work for 2009 as well? i didnt see anyone mention this beyond 07-08.
PhillyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #227
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyG View Post
hi guys.. i am very interested in doing this to my yaris. does this work for 2009 as well? i didnt see anyone mention this beyond 07-08.
Yes. 09 Liftbacks (and some Sedans) have the wiring in place from the ECM to the steering column, making the job even easier. Take a look at the following thread regarding the differences:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ght=diy+cruise
Old 05-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #228
PhillyG

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Thanks!! i am making a list now.. hope to get to do this in a week or two!
PhillyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:57 AM   #229
crazyandroid

Ok, quick question. When installing the clutch switch, I see that the two wires go to the blue and white wires on that connection in the fuse box . . . could I just splice into those wires instead of trying to wedge some sort of connector into the same hole? I ask b/c that's what I tried and I'm not sure where my failure lies. I will take pictures in the morning of everything that I did and hopefully someone can help me. I'm really feeling like I should not have attempted this mod . . . I don't even know how to check the current to make sure that things are connected adequately.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:33 AM   #230
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyandroid View Post
Ok, quick question. When installing the clutch switch, I see that the two wires go to the blue and white wires on that connection in the fuse box . . . could I just splice into those wires instead of trying to wedge some sort of connector into the same hole? I ask b/c that's what I tried and I'm not sure where my failure lies. I will take pictures in the morning of everything that I did and hopefully someone can help me. I'm really feeling like I should not have attempted this mod . . . I don't even know how to check the current to make sure that things are connected adequately.
Definitely splice - Don't wedge. The wedging can be done for a quick test, but you really want a more positive mating for the long run.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:00 PM   #231
Yarisduder

Drives: 2007 4dr Sedan Silver Streak
Hi, I'm trying to do this on my Canadian 2007 Yaris sedan, and there's already a blue wire in the pin40 spot at the ECM. The wires on the steering column aren't there. Does this mean I can't have CC, or do I tap into that blue wire?
Yarisduder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:41 PM   #232
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarisduder View Post
Hi, I'm trying to do this on my Canadian 2007 Yaris sedan, and there's already a blue wire in the pin40 spot at the ECM. The wires on the steering column aren't there. Does this mean I can't have CC, or do I tap into that blue wire?
If you are 100% sure that you are looking at the correct pin as pin 40, then indeed your wire is run from there to the junction connector under the dash. (But not from the junction to the steering column).

That junction is just under the top of the dashboard, so you can't get to it without removing the dash, so the easiest thing would be to tap the blue wire by where it enters the ECM.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:26 AM   #233
Yarisduder

Drives: 2007 4dr Sedan Silver Streak
It worked!! I am amazed and awed! The dealer told me they can't put cruise control on my car, and with a few old buttons and resistors, plus some scraps of wire I now have CC! Thank you all so much, you've saved the Yaris and my $25K for a new car that would be comfortable on long journeys.
Yarisduder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:04 PM   #234
sk8manmike

Drives: 2007 Yaris 4d Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Definitely splice - Don't wedge. The wedging can be done for a quick test, but you really want a more positive mating for the long run.
What's the best way to go about splicing for the CC switch? Shave the wire coat and solder on to it?
sk8manmike is offline   Reply With Quote