Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-28-2006, 03:52 PM   #19
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Damn, that is shitty. I felt sorry for you too bud.

Thanks Idjiit for answering our questions.

Tho, why is people so obsess with bigger wheels when it use more gas?
Old 04-28-2006, 03:56 PM   #20
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
No Idjiit ...... I was comparing the 15" stock steel wheels to the 16" alloys, no tires. I did the same with my 18" Dymags (this was for my motorcycle) and the stock Honda wheels, but that is unfair as the Dymags really are magnesium. I would be VERY hesitant to use magnesium wheels on the street, even if cost was not a factor.
Rolling resistance is very difficult to determine. There are so many factors to be considered. For instance on bicycles a larger wheel has less resistance than a smaller wheel (700C vs 650C), but the smaller wheel accelerates better. If you want to be dazzled by techno-babble read some of the articles in the Triathlon mags on rolling resistance vs aerodynamic drag.
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:00 PM   #21
ricko

Perhaps the obsession is due to mis-information. I know I never thought that an 18" alloy wheel-tire combo would be heavier than the stock steelies + tires. You live ....... you learn.
Or maybe the 18" dudes are just going for that ................... look.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:05 PM   #22
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricko
No Idjiit ...... I was comparing the 15" stock steel wheels to the 16" alloys, no tires.
K, I thought you were saying the 15" was also alloy. In that case, it's even less surprising. As I showed, the stock 15" steel Yaris wheel is 17lbs, the 18" alloy is 19lbs, only two lbs heavier - that's a pretty lightweight 18". The 16" version of that same wheel is 14.5lbs. But if you're going for an 18" that just looks cool, you will most likely end up with one that's much heavier - even tirerack considers any 18" wheel under 22lbs as "lightweight". And again, the point is that even if the wheels were identical in weight, a good portion of that weight is now 1 1/2 inches further away from the center, which means it will be harder to turn it.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:06 PM   #23
ricko

Man ... that IS the pits. If there was more than one dealer in the area, I'd take my money and walk. Manual/automatic that is a pretty basic thing to mess up on. Next will it a be sedan-liftback mistake????? Sorry Goose, didn't mean to cause you more worry!
Old 04-28-2006, 04:07 PM   #24
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Quote:
Or maybe the 18" dudes are just going for that ................... look.
Yes. Especially on a car the size of the Yaris. 18" wheels can provide a performance on some cars - but on a 2,200lb car with 106hp? Not so much.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:10 PM   #25
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
The mileage issue isn't really a big deal to me - I just wouldn't want to trash the great mileage by making what is (for me) essentially a cosmetic change. Obviously 18's are much larger than the Toyota engineers originally spec'd for the car, so I'm sure it would change something in this regard.

Come to think of it, would there really be much of a difference in overall circumfrence between a low-profile (30-35 series) 18" wheel/tire combo and a 60-series 15" wheel/tire combo?

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:20 PM   #26
Goose
Car Geek

Found a good article on Tire Rack's site

Obviously, Tire Rack is trying to sell folks larger, upgraded tires. Despite this fact, their information looks sound. Based on the linked article, going with a bigger wheel/tire isn't going to make a big dent in mileage. Food for thought.

Enjoy...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=29

Old 04-28-2006, 04:40 PM   #27
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose
Come to think of it, would there really be much of a difference in overall circumfrence between a low-profile (30-35 series) 18" wheel/tire combo and a 60-series 15" wheel/tire combo?
If you get the right tires there shouldn't be any appreciable difference in circumference.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:41 PM   #28
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose
Obviously, Tire Rack is trying to sell folks larger, upgraded tires. Despite this fact, their information looks sound. Based on the linked article, going with a bigger wheel/tire isn't going to make a big dent in mileage. Food for thought.

Enjoy...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=29
This article is only really making a point about rolling resistence, not wheel size. And clearly the factors weight differently according to whether you're driving city or highway.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:07 PM   #29
ricko

But essentially you were right Idjiit ........ reducing weight, especially unsprung weight is certainly a factor. If the rolling circumference, and the frictional co-efficient are the same the lightest combination wins the gas mileage competition. The advantage might vary city/highway, but it will remain an advantage.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:40 PM   #30
Goose
Car Geek

Thanks for all the info, guys. I'm still not sure if I would get the TRD wheels -- they're pretty expensive and I don't even have the car yet!

Also, thanks for the support with the dealer's screw up. Apart from having to wait a bit longer, there's been no harm done. I like my local dealer, and he's been a straight-shooter with me on past deals. Since my dealer has already gotten another car with the correct specs (he assures me) set up for shipment, I wasn't too disappointed.

I'm almost happy because I'm still getting a factory-fresh (no dealer trades for me) Yaris. I thought that this foul-up meant that I'd either have to take a color I didn't want or have to wait forever. Chalk up another interesting car-buying experience...

Old 04-28-2006, 10:41 PM   #31
AutoTech1

Drives: None yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffy
congrats goose!

as far as the big wheels effect on fuel economy, would i be right in thinking that they would require more power to get going? if so, would it be a noticeable difference in fuel consumption (and acceleration time?)
Think of it like this. Remember that BMX bike you use to ride? Well remember how easy it was to get going fast? It required less energy to turn the wheel as well, because the wheel was smalll. Then you went to that mountain bike. The wheels were larger. It required a bit more energy to rotate that wheel... Getting wheels that are larger can throw off you readings for mph slightly as well as fuel economy... It shouldn't be too noticeable though.
AutoTech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:44 PM   #32
AutoTech1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv
Damn, that is shitty. I felt sorry for you too bud.

Thanks Idjiit for answering our questions.

Tho, why is people so obsess with bigger wheels when it use more gas?
They don't use too much gas... It's not like you lose 10 miles to the gallon on a 18 inch compared to a 16. :-P Most people do it for looks. Not for performance. I think a car should have at most 17 inch wheels... Over that, you get a harsh ride, you can destroy your wheels on the streets and many other things...
Old 04-28-2006, 10:46 PM   #33
AutoTech1

Quote:
The 18's will require LESS power to get going, due to less weight.
They are more likely to wieght more... Even if they are light wieght wieght wheel... Just because they are bigger...
Old 04-28-2006, 10:48 PM   #34
AutoTech1

Quote:
Remember 18'' alloy wheels have less rubber, and the wheels themselves are significantly lighter than the steelies.
But the "steelies are smaller." The 18's are larger... The only gain I can see for getting 18 is the less rubber. You corner better... But you increase the chance or rolling the tire off the wheel under hard cornering...
Old 04-28-2006, 10:50 PM   #35
AutoTech1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idjiit
Here's some sample numbers -

Yaris 15" Steel Wheel/Tire Combo - 37lbs (17lb wheel, 20lb tire)
Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra-High Performance Tires with light Rota SubZero Wheels:
15x6.5 w/ 195/50R15 - 29lbs (12lb wheel, 17lb tire)
18x7.5 w/ 215/35R18 - 39lbs (19lb wheel, 20lb tire)

So, even with a lightweight 18" setup, you're both heavier than stock and a lot of that weight has been moved further away from the axel, so you'll definitely see a drop in performance.
Great point. I didn't see you wrote that, else, I wouldn't have posted what I posted before this. But you still explained better than me.