Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-22-2006, 07:36 AM   #1
derekjd

Drives: Yaris Liftback 07
Warranty Suggestions please...

Hey all,

I will be picking up my Yaris LB this week, but have decided on what warranty options to purchase with my new vehicle... Here is what I'm looking at (in US dollars):

Basic Warranty
Monthly Payment: 209

Option 1:
Extended Service Agreement
84/100000
Rental Coverage
Travel Breakdown Coverage
Parts and Labor Covered
$0 deductable

Cost: 1,295.00
Monthly Payment: 237.49

Option 2:
Extended Service Agreement
Secure Window Etch
Theft Deterrent System
3000 Theft Benefit
Insurance discount Available
Choice Environment Plan
Rust/Undercoating
or
Paint/Interior

Monthly Payment: 244.61

My question is has anyone explored purchasing an extended warranty after the fact and not purchasing it at time of pickup? Is it possible to get some better rates if it's done at a later time? All opinions would be helpful...

Thank you,
Derek
derekjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:48 AM   #2
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
Do NOT purchase an extended warranty. The "car experts" over the years have also said NOT to purchase. Instead, invest this money into a ROTH for future retirement or spend some extra on accessories for your Yaris.

I especially agree with the experts when the car happens to be "Toyota made". Of course you are playing the odds that the car will NOT have a major problem during the extended warranty period. I like my odds on that.

The dealer really talks this up because the dealer recoups a big profit if he/she sells you the extended warranty.

Also go to the car web sites such as Edmunds and read what they have to say on extended warranties.

Kevin
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:34 PM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
The warranty and other stuff is where business managers make all of their money.

The rental type coverage is better served through you insurance company. Breakdown coverage is better through a company like AAA. Insurance companies offer all sorts of discounts for alarm systems. Mine offers 5% - 36% depending on the type of system. Going through an aftermarket alarm installer is prolly a better option for that as well.

As for the actual warranty, that depends on your situation. It is a Toyota, and the odds of you ever needing the warranty are very slim.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:40 PM   #4
drell42

Drives: Blank
okay my step dad is the sales manager at a toyota dealership, when I bought my yaris he said NO, and it is his job to sell it! so in short DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!
drell42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:53 PM   #5
derekjd

Drives: Yaris Liftback 07
thank you ppl

I did some investigating on warranties today rather then telling my dealer that is holding my car hostage that I have made up my mind.... I called toyota and was informed that the dealer warranty on rust proofing/paint/underbody protection was not worth it, the rep informed me that the panaling and paint are are treated factory and the paint has been improved to fight chips so the dealer's extra warranty was not worth it. Savings of $500 or so... Also I spoke with them about extended warranties for purchase before the 36,000 mark, my dealer wanted 1000 for 7/75000 and 12500 for 7/100000 in which toyota also informed was a to high in a non-casual way. Essentially what they said was call other dealers and buy a toyota warranty through them, so my quest started and I found almost right off the bat other dealers were offering 875 for 7/75000 and 1100 for 7/100000... Another to toyota.... One other thing that I would like to note is the warranty can be bought through any dealer in the United States, so for you other Yaris owners out there try to find out how much money your dealers are selling them for and post the numbers please, make life a little cheaper for us all....

In short it's coming down to this: I like cars, but I really don't like dealers!!!

Cheapest extended warranty so far: Culligan Auto Place @ 888-245-8722 or 716-633-5200 Quote was: $875 7/75000 and $1100 7/100000

Again thank you all for your opinions and information....

Derek
derekjd is offline   Reply With Quote