Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #91
RHDVIPbB
Right beside you, wave

Drives: 08 PBM Yaris Sedan
Nasa events are fun. We have local HPDE events that are fun to compete in. Next year I plan to compete in more events especially with our new road course being finished.

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan. Pacific Blue Mica. Custom vinyl eyebrows, color matched interior trim pieces, Vios lip spoiler, 17" Maas rims

2010 Scion xB 7.0 Release Series. 1535 of 2000. Murasaki. Stock with TRD springs.
RHDVIPbB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #92
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
I found the Yaris to be great for TT events, so long as the course really is a TT-style. A good TT course is more open than an autoX course, but less open than a road course/track event. Just be sure to pay attention to your brake temperatures. converting your foglight openings into brake ducts is very useful for this. There is a write-up ont his mod somewhere.
Also, SCCA ST-class allows the addition of brake ducts if you dont' have to modify the body work. It is legal to cur a hole in the fender liner for this purpose.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:32 PM   #93
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
I found the Yaris to be great for TT events, so long as the course really is a TT-style. A good TT course is more open than an autoX course, but less open than a road course/track event. Just be sure to pay attention to your brake temperatures. converting your foglight openings into brake ducts is very useful for this. There is a write-up ont his mod somewhere.
Also, SCCA ST-class allows the addition of brake ducts if you dont' have to modify the body work. It is legal to cur a hole in the fender liner for this purpose.
err, not sure what you mean by a TT. a TT to me, is a Time Trial. These are run on a full road course. It is usually run during an HPDE or a track event.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:21 PM   #94
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Well, you are correct, lots of versions of a time trial. The Texas Time Trials club here in Dallas sets-up TT's like what I described.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:34 PM   #95
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
It's refreshing to see that other people (morgan) are taking notice that the Yaris is not the "ultimate" racing machine that many forum members revere it to be.

On that note, after blowing my motor on my SM WRX, i have gone ahead to race the daily driven yaris in ST. You have to put your ego aside if you are a good/decent driver, because this car just was not meant to performance.

Would I like to be competetive in this car? Of course. But not at the expense of spending thousands of dollars to build a car barely better than many stock cars out on track already. If you are modded to the limits of ST class, I'd have to say FSP is a great option. R-comps should drop your times significantly on longer courses, as well as shorter layouts.

I am really glad that so many of you take this car out to events. I have really enjoyed reading this thread, as I felt performance-type threads have been lacking for a while on this site.

anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:45 AM   #96
Yaris-x

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
I race a yaris because its what I could afford at the time(Replaced my 85 Olds Delta 88) But I am really looking foward to buying the FT-86 when the Yaris is paid off that should be the "Ultimate Racing Machine"
Yaris-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #97
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris-x View Post
I race a yaris because its what I could afford at the time(Replaced my 85 Olds Delta 88) But I am really looking foward to buying the FT-86 when the Yaris is paid off that should be the "Ultimate Racing Machine"
Could'nt agree more. But the wait is like 2 years. If i can wait that long, i may get one.

anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:34 PM   #98
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

well, i autox'd today... took 2nd in ST out of 9 cars. i missed 1st place by 0.2 secs :(

the new set up is fun! its very oversteery...
Old 10-17-2009, 09:52 PM   #99
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngrsll View Post
well, i autox'd today... took 2nd in ST out of 9 cars. i missed 1st place by 0.2 secs :(

the new set up is fun! its very oversteery...
Ha! Ironic... I pulled 2nd out of 15 or 20 "under 2.3L" cars at the S2000 autocross today, missing 1st by .1 sec! I actually had the lead until an STS miata's final run.
I made some setup changes that really made a difference, and the car is rotating in a very controllable manner. With the right front camber, the turn-in has become very good, and the Kumho XS tires are damn sticky.
I'll post the results on another thread.
Maybe we can get a thread going just for autocross/TT results?
Old 10-17-2009, 11:55 PM   #100
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Ha! Ironic... I pulled 2nd out of 15 or 20 "under 2.3L" cars at the S2000 autocross today, missing 1st by .1 sec! I actually had the lead until an STS miata's final run.
I made some setup changes that really made a difference, and the car is rotating in a very controllable manner. With the right front camber, the turn-in has become very good, and the Kumho XS tires are damn sticky.
I'll post the results on another thread.
Maybe we can get a thread going just for autocross/TT results?
throw in setup as well, and we have a wiener
Old 10-22-2009, 12:00 AM   #101
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
You just made my point. There is no factory-provided part here. Again, read the quote in blue in the above post. There is no such thing as a factory-installed rear sway bar on a US Yaris. The rule you quote clearly states that a factory-available part can ALSO be installed at the port instead of the actual factory and still be considered "standard."
While you may have good intentions you are incorrect with your interpretation of the rule. 12.4 specifically allows Port Installed options, and treats them exactly the same as assembly line parts. This is regardless of if the part was ever available on the factory assembly line, or if one was ever built at the factory.

There are a number of examples of 12.4 in active competition on the national level, and a great example of this allowance in Appendix F. Aside from the Subi clarification, there is the Shelby Mustang and Camaro SS, both built off site and stock legal. Many of the top Toyota MR2s in ES are hand built cars. The top guys have taken advantage of documentation that shows a hardtop, non-power steering ABS equipped MR2 option. There is zero evidence of one ever being built by the factory, or port, but because it was an option people have built them. The Mazda MX-5 MS-R is Port only built car, never done on the assembly line.

I as an tell you as a past member of the Solo Events Board, and having sat on number protest committees, that the Port is considered the same as the factory for SCCA Solo purposes. However, dealer installed items, even those that could be ordered from the manufacturer are not legal. Toyota, Scion and others have made it difficult for some people to figure out which ones are which, but if you do your homework you will not have an issue.

12 Automotive Definitions:
12.4 STANDARD PART
An item of standard or optional equipment that could have been
ordered with the car, installed on the factory production line, and
delivered through a dealer in the United States. Port-installed options
provided by the factory are considered to be the same as
those installed on the factory production line
. Dealer-installed options
or deletions (except as required by factory directives), no matter
how common or what their origin, are not included in this definition.
This definition does not allow the updating or backdating of parts.

Appendix F:
SUBARU WRX OPTIONS
The following items are port-installed options on the Subaru WRX,
are listed when installed on the vehicle’s window sticker, and
pending evidence to the contrary are considered legal: carbon fiber
trim, turbo boost gauge, titanium shift knob, short throw shifter, rear
diff protector, spoilers, arm rest extension.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #102
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
So to run a rear sway bar on a Yaris in HS does the car need to be ordered with the sway bar or can it be put on at a later time?
Old 10-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #103
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredrocket View Post
So to run a rear sway bar on a Yaris in HS does the car need to be ordered with the sway bar or can it be put on at a later time?
No. You are not required to "order" you car with the options. The stock category allows you to "build" your car. However, keep in mind when adding any options, or doing an option package conversion, it must be a 100% addition/conversion. And most importantly the part must have been available from the factory/port for your model/year car . If Toyota said you can not have a RSB with a moon roof, then you would have to delete the moon roof to add the RSB. Also if they offered it as an option on the 2007, but not the 2008, you would be out of luck if you had an 08'.

Example: In very late 2005 (about a month before the Solo Natls) Lotus decided that an LSD was an option on the 2005 Elise. None had been built that way at the factory or port at the time, but two current owners were able to get the parts to equip their cars in time for the event. In this case the LSD option package also required adding traction control. Had they just installed the LSD, and left off the TC, they would not have been legal.

I am not up to speed on the Yaris, I just signed up here yesterday to do some research after a meeting our office had with Toyota. But looking at the Yaris page and building a car on the web site, it seems pretty easy to determine which options are factory/port options, and which are dealer. All of the non stock legal parts are the ones the say "**installation not included. See your Toyota dealer for installed pricing".

Last edited by Jason@SportsCar; 10-22-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Jason@SportsCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #104
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
No. You are not required to "order" you car with the options. The stock category allows you to "build" your car. However, keep in mind when adding any options, or doing an option package conversion, it must be a 100% addition/conversion. And most importantly the part must have been available from the factory/port for your model/year car . If Toyota said you can not have a RSB with a moon roof, then you would have to delete the moon roof to add the RSB. Also if they offered it as an option on the 2007, but not the 2008, you would be out of luck if you had an 08'.

Example: In very late 2005 (about a month before the Solo Natls) Lotus decided that an LSD was an option on the 2005 Elise. None had been built that way at the factory or port at the time, but two current owners were able to get the parts to equip their cars in time for the event. In this case the LSD option package also required adding traction control. Had they just installed the LSD, and left off the TC, they would not have been legal.

I am not up to speed on the Yaris, I just signed up here yesterday to do some research after a meeting our office had with Toyota. But looking at the Yaris page and building a car on the web site, it seems pretty easy to determine which options are factory/port options, and which are dealer. All of the non stock legal parts are the ones the say "**installation not included. See your Toyota dealer for installed pricing".
Thx for the informed update. We had come to the same conclusion after consulting with the SCCA rules guys, but its nice to have someone who's actually seen the process work give some insight. Welcome to the board!
Old 10-22-2009, 04:50 PM   #105
Yaris-x

Just out of curiocity what is you office doing with Toyota?
Old 10-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #106
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Just out of curiocity what is you office doing with Toyota?
No comment.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:40 PM   #107
Yaris-x

Ok fine...but I did like your article on the Tire Test. It made my happy with my decision on the Star specs. But I do wish you used the RE01R's for bridgestone I have been curious how my tires mount up against them
Old 10-22-2009, 05:53 PM   #108
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Ok fine...but I did like your article on the Tire Test. It made my happy with my decision on the Star specs. But I do wish you used the RE01R's for bridgestone I have been curious how my tires mount up against them
We ran the RE01R in our 2008 guide, I liked the feel of it much better than the RE-11, but its not as fast as the current stuff.