Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #1
Dec24th

Drives: '10 Yaris 3 door HB
DIY Window Tint films from Walmart

Hi,
I have a 2010 black Yaris Sedan and am thinking about tinting my rear side windows (NJ allows only the rear side windows to be tinted).

Has anyone used the window tint films from Walmart? $10 is definitely in my price range. Does it look cool on a Yaris Sedan? Which percentage should I apply on the window? Will it eventually bubble? If it does, how easy is it to take off?

Please give me any and all advice, tips on these DIY window tint films.

This is my first post,
allan
Dec24th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
i used the stuff from autozone on my camaro back in 2003. as far as i know it's still there today with no peeling, discoloration, bubbles, scratches, or any other defects.

i never used any cleaners with amonia such as windex or lysol. i always used stoner's glass products until recently. any way. if you seriously follow the directions...it wont have any problems. keep it clean, use the proper tools (not the cheap plastic crap but some realy squee-gies) and i used a seriously diluted dawn/water mixture on mine.

remember, tint is register as light that passes, not blocked. so a 5% tint passes 5%, and a 75 is not 75% tint but 75% of light passed. so put what you're comfortable with. i had 20 on the fronts and 5 on the hatch on camaro, and i havent gotten around to doing yaris cuz it was done from factory. i want the nichrome coated
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:35 AM   #3
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
5% all the way around! dont go to walmart, chances are from what I'm reading you dont have tint experience and this is a great way to fuck up a nice clean new car. Take it to a shop and get them to tint it it should only be 100-150. It will probably be gauranteed for life, most shops do, and it will look way better.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:25 AM   #4
r3b3l

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3dr liftback
If you want to do it yourself go to a tint shop and buy the tint from them, its better quality and doesnt turn bronze after a year like walmart tint can. 40-60 Bucks for the tint and another 10-20 in tools and your done. but for another 20-60 bucks you can have the tint shop do it for you and have it done correctly. After you spend your time(2-4hrs if its your first time) and money you may as well have it professionally done.
r3b3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:38 AM   #5
Form>Function

^ agreed! OP i dont think you realize the pain in the ass you're getting yourself into.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:06 AM   #6
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec24th View Post
Hi,
I have a 2010 black Yaris Sedan and am thinking about tinting my rear side windows (NJ allows only the rear side windows to be tinted).

Has anyone used the window tint films from Walmart? $10 is definitely in my price range. Does it look cool on a Yaris Sedan? Which percentage should I apply on the window? Will it eventually bubble? If it does, how easy is it to take off?

Please give me any and all advice, tips on these DIY window tint films.

This is my first post,
allan
i do window tinting for living, and trust me, it's took me about few years to know how to do properly, so good luck. And yes if you want to DIY go to tint store and buy tint from them it's way better than walmart or ADP or pepboys.
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I tried using some of the cheap tint from Walmart to do the doors on my Jeep, ended up throwing it away. Save yourself the trouble and aggrevation and find someone who can professionally tint your windows. It may cost a bit more, but the Walmart route will just end up in the trash...
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I did it myself with auto parts store tint and it turned out pretty good. I *did* use a heat gun to shrink it and there is definitely an art to the technique. The side windows look professionally done. The rear window was the real pain in the ass and I did end up with one small wrinkle in it. So with DIY it is possible to get good results, but if I were to do it again I'd buy better tint (only for the better shrink capabilities.)
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
First, don't support wal mart, they are the devil.

Second, there are tools involved in window tint. Its not a sticker you just throw on. You need to clean the window better than its ever been cleaned, then you need a soap sprayer, squeegee, razors, other straight edges, and possibly a heat gun. Even with a perfect install(which will cost more than 10 dollars), it won't last as long as a professional job.

I've tried sticker sets like this wal mart junk, and pro tint DIY, and failed miserably at both... All I can say is tint takes a lot of time and patience, and skill to get it right. I'd rather pay 150 for all my windows, skip the headache, and have someone to bring it to if anything goes wrong.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #10
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
I tried using walmart tint on my old car. It is garbage and next to impossible to apply to any curved windows without looking like shit.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:54 PM   #11
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3b3l View Post
If you want to do it yourself go to a tint shop and buy the tint from them, its better quality and doesnt turn bronze after a year like walmart tint can. 40-60 Bucks for the tint and another 10-20 in tools and your done. but for another 20-60 bucks you can have the tint shop do it for you and have it done correctly. After you spend your time(2-4hrs if its your first time) and money you may as well have it professionally done.
agreed. Seriously just have it done professionally. There are mexican shops around here atleast that will tint for 100 bucks and they do a wonderful job with quality tint.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:54 PM   #12
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
why is most of yall saying its not easy ? I mean it aint all that hard. Now I will tell you this the tint from stores will turn purple during time well for most
so ur best bet is to go to tint shop or audio most audio shops do tints.
If you are a person that has never touched a tint film then dont do it ur self speacially if ur cheap now if you really want to learn go for it , I do recommend u buy like 3 rolls if u going to do it ur self just in case u mess em up and what ever roll u dont use return it. Bring it to me ill do it

GoodLuck
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #13
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
I used Walmart tint on my last car. It was good for the five years I had the car and still good when the engine gave up. Tinting is easy if you think ahead and plan. Just put a few drops of liquid soap in the spray bottle. You just need enough to break the surface tension of the water. Make sure the window is clean. I scrap it with a new razor and spray a lot of soap water. To cut cleanly, you need to constanly replace the razor blade.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:31 AM   #14
jonismyname

Drives: 08 liftback 5spd
i thought ahead, planned, watched tutorials, read instructions, gave it all i got, and failed miserably. some people don't have what it takes? i dunno. found a guy on craigslist that did it for cheap. so glad.
jonismyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #15
Form>Function

its got a lot to do with patience, a virtue most of us dont posses lol