Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-01-2017, 10:07 PM   #1
ejaf

Drives: 09 5MT
Clutch replacement...now worn wheel bearings???

OK...

Seems as if having my clutch replaced has opened up a can of worms.

After doing the replace (4DSD 5MT, 85K miles), the mechanic said that the wheel bearings are worn and should be replaced. Prior to the change, noticed no looseness in the front end at all. Took it for a test drive just now, and am hearing squeaking noises when starting from a standing stop, and rolling slowly, and it just feels loose.

I did some thread searching, and found a thread that mentions to check the bearings, jack up the car and feel for vibration on the springs while turning the wheel, which I can do this weekend.

My question is more around whether having this sort of work done can cause worn bearings to become more pronounced, since you are really ripping some major axle parts away from their prospective homes, so to speak.

Thanks in advance...Eric
ejaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:15 PM   #2
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
did he tighten the axle nuts? Loose axle nuts will make the car feel weird. Pop you hubcaps off and throw an eye at the axle nut see if anything obvious is going on

I'm at 125k and my wheel bearings are excellent, I did my clutch 3k ago and have not had any issues other then I should of did the transmission to axle seals (which ended up leaking & I replaced today actually) but that happens when you disturb a seal that has not been touched in 7 years

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:27 AM   #3
ejaf

Drives: 09 5MT
Will do that this weekend...have to get at the ABS sensor on the right front anyway (another thread).

Thanks.
ejaf is offline   Reply With Quote