Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
sfamicom

Drives: Yaris LE 2012 3 door automatic
2012 Yaris gripes (help?)

Hi all,

I'm a first time Toyota owner and decided to make the 2012 Yaris LE hatchback my first foray with the manufacturer. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it -- although there are a few gripes I have that I was hoping you all may have some insight on.

1) The middle of the three A/C dials has stopped lighting up at night.

2) the front driver's side bumper comes out just a bit - it will snap back into place with a little pressure, but after a drive it has popped back out again.

3) there is a rattle while driving - it sounds like it could be the windows. Is this common?

4) I doubt there's any way to fix this, but I noticed after only a few months that the driver's seat was wearing (black color looks like its fading) so I put seat covers on. Has anyone else experienced this?

5) I reached down into my pocket with my left hand and my watch scratched the door panel. It's textured and I've tried all sorts of sprays on it, but I think I just have to live with it. Any ideas?

Thanks for reading - I'm open to any comments or ideas. I just want to keep this car as nice as possible - I hope to own it for years to come!
sfamicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #2
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfamicom View Post
Hi all,

I'm a first time Toyota owner and decided to make the 2012 Yaris LE hatchback my first foray with the manufacturer. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it -- although there are a few gripes I have that I was hoping you all may have some insight on.

1) The middle of the three A/C dials has stopped lighting up at night.

2) the front driver's side bumper comes out just a bit - it will snap back into place with a little pressure, but after a drive it has popped back out again.

3) there is a rattle while driving - it sounds like it could be the windows. Is this common?

4) I doubt there's any way to fix this, but I noticed after only a few months that the driver's seat was wearing (black color looks like its fading) so I put seat covers on. Has anyone else experienced this?

5) I reached down into my pocket with my left hand and my watch scratched the door panel. It's textured and I've tried all sorts of sprays on it, but I think I just have to live with it. Any ideas?

Thanks for reading - I'm open to any comments or ideas. I just want to keep this car as nice as possible - I hope to own it for years to come!
1) are you talking about the light on the little button? of the two you have in the picture, the left one is the rear defrost button. it is not going to come on with the AC button as it is not part of the AC operation. it should come on when pushed to defrost the rear window. if not have the dealer check that.

2) not normal. a clip or some such thing is probably missing. have dealer fix that (assuming u r under warranty).

3) rattles aren't uncommon in cheap cars and even cars that cost a lot more. lots of plastic in cars these days all over the place. best to see if you can really pin down where the rattle is originating before a solution can be discussed with a tech at dealer.

4) cheap cars have cheap fabric. I always put seat covers on...even on more expensive cars, as they all get worn too fast. you have side airbags in the seat, so I always tell folks to make sure any covers are side airbag compatable.

5) a true scratch wont be eliminated. if its more of the white scuff, I use Meguiars interior detailer cleaner which gets rid of the white scuffs. another Ive seen people use is the 303 Aerospace protectant.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
sfamicom

As for the light, I'm not referring to the button but the actual back light for night time. It used to light up and doesn't anymore.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:17 AM   #4
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfamicom View Post
As for the light, I'm not referring to the button but the actual back light for night time. It used to light up and doesn't anymore.
I always figured one light backlit all 3 dials. guess not.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
I always figured one light backlit all 3 dials. guess not.
No. There is a little bulb on the back of each knob.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
No. There is a little bulb on the back of each knob.
I learned this when one of my lights went out. I bought one of the little bulbs, but before I had a chance to install it.....the light came back on...so I returned the replacement bulb.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
sfamicom

Any ideas where I could find a how to on replacing the bulb?
Old 08-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #8
marspike

Drives: Yaris 2014, Y. HSD 2013
this is the Stock Bulb inside

change your lamp bulb by a T3 led bulb 120°

It's really easy to change it. You need a quarter time and a fine screw driver.

After the mood light with the new led
marspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
sfamicom

Awesome, thank you! Is there an easy way to remove that center panel? I tried looking that up but didn't have much luck.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:21 PM   #10
marspike

Drives: Yaris 2014, Y. HSD 2013

Step 1: you begin pull softly to remove the panel center from side passenger to driver.
Step 2: you need to remove with thine screw driver the radio strapping. Do it softly to unbreak clips.
Step 3: unplug different electric wire connections
Step 4: with phillips screwdrivers change blues lamp by sames or super brightness T3 led 120°. For led respect polarities.
Step 5: Reset step by step electrical connections and molding plastic parts.

Step 6: Congratulation you have succeed to change panel control lights!!!
marspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:36 PM   #11
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
The 2012 Yaris is the first subcompact I've ever owned. When new, I was surprised at how much the interior rattled. I just chalked it up to the fact that the interior is cheap and has a lot of hard plastic. Now that I've had the car two years, I feel like it rattles less (or maybe I'm just used to it so I don't notice it as much?)

I also was troubled by the scuffing of the interior plastic. Turtle Wax F21 protectant seemed to clear up the scuffs easily and helps protect the plastic from future scuffs.
https://www.turtlewax.com/shop/produ...nt-10-4-fl-oz-
matti is offline   Reply With Quote