Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
bluemavrick5510

Drives: 2010 Yaris 4D LB, AT, W/O PP
Mouse in AC Blower?

Hello, can someone please explain how to reach and remove the blower motor on a 2010 Yaris? I found posts saying to remove the glove box first but no info on which one or how to do that. Does anyone know where I can get a repair manual? Also, do you know if repairing this would be covered under warranty if they found a mouse in the blower? I get mice in the car whenever I park in my garage and with the recent storm it went in there. And sure enough something sounding like a tail and then a thump hit the fan today while driving! So I suspect the little guy got knocked silly. So I need to get in there. Help! Thanks. I love this forum. You all are great. Just so you know. Even if you can't help me.
bluemavrick5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Check out the repair manuals over on Micro Image.

http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...32-YARIS-FILES
Old 10-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10756

Note, the etimago.com link no longer works. You should be able to locate the manual in the link provided by suckerface.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
sex

Drives: 09 5DR
Open the glovebox. Empty it. Then pull the closer edge while pushing the far edge and the sides should flex inward. The side stops should then clear the dash. Imagine it like opening the jaw of a fish
sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
bluemavrick5510

Quote:
Originally Posted by suckerface View Post
Check out the repair manuals over on Micro Image.

http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...32-YARIS-FILES
Yes! Thanks suckerface. Awsome.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
bluemavrick5510

Quote:
Originally Posted by sex View Post
Open the glovebox. Empty it. Then pull the closer edge while pushing the far edge and the sides should flex inward. The side stops should then clear the dash. Imagine it like opening the jaw of a fish
Thanks. That helped. I got it out. Now I can see where the inside air filter goes and how to install it (didn't come with the car). The AC blower fan removal however doesn't require removing the glove box like I originally thought. It's just under the dash behind/in front of the glove box. It easily comes out by removing 3 screws and unpluging the wiring harness. (cake).
Old 11-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
bluemavrick5510

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10756

Note, the etimago.com link no longer works. You should be able to locate the manual in the link provided by suckerface.
Thanks Wee. I tried that link and it didn't work like you point out. That led me to post and ask about finding a manual. And yes the suckerface link worked (very cool).
Old 11-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
bluemavrick5510

Thanks everyone! I removed the AC blower fan and yes indeed I found a dead mouse pinned to the inside of the fan. His blood was spun around there like a ring around a bathtub. So I removed him and cleaned the area with bleech water and put everything back together. All works fine now.

I'm thinking though after reading other posts about mouse problems that perhaps it would be best for me to not install an inside air filter (above the fan). The filter may keep mice out of the fan and car interior but it may at the same time encourage them to enter more difficult areas to reach (and remedy) like the headliner or door pillars etc.. Getting them out of the fan and car interior seems much easier than dealing with them elsewhere. The best solution of course would be to prevent any access by sealing areas that ctscott suggests (air inlet by wipers and air outlet by tail lights). Until then though I may just leave the air filter uninstalled. Just thinking....
Old 11-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemavrick5510 View Post
Thanks everyone! I removed the AC blower fan and yes indeed I found a dead mouse pinned to the inside of the fan. His blood was spun around there like a ring around a bathtub. So I removed him and cleaned the area with bleech water and put everything back together. All works fine now.

I'm thinking though after reading other posts about mouse problems that perhaps it would be best for me to not install an inside air filter (above the fan). The filter may keep mice out of the fan and car interior but it may at the same time encourage them to enter more difficult areas to reach (and remedy) like the headliner or door pillars etc.. Getting them out of the fan and car interior seems much easier than dealing with them elsewhere. The best solution of course would be to prevent any access by sealing areas that ctscott suggests (air inlet by wipers and air outlet by tail lights). Until then though I may just leave the air filter uninstalled. Just thinking....
If you always leave the knob in the full outside air mode, and install the cabin filter, then you will restrict your visitors to the area from the cowling to the cabin filter. If you leave the knob in recirculate, then you close off the entire inside of the car to the mice. If you leave it in between, then you give them full access to the interior.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
bluemavrick5510

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
If you always leave the knob in the full outside air mode, and install the cabin filter, then you will restrict your visitors to the area from the cowling to the cabin filter. If you leave the knob in recirculate, then you close off the entire inside of the car to the mice. If you leave it in between, then you give them full access to the interior.
Ok, thanks. Are you saying that if the knob is in the full recirculate mode then mice don't even have access to the cabin filter (from the cowling)?

I just checked and I have always left the knob in the full outside air mode (with no filter). Duhhh. :-)
Old 11-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemavrick5510 View Post
Ok, thanks. Are you saying that if the knob is in the full recirculate mode then mice don't even have access to the cabin filter (from the cowling)?

I just checked and I have always left the knob in the full outside air mode (with no filter). Duhhh. :-)
Yes. In full recirculate the door seals off the outside intake. Whenever I leave one of my vehicles parked outside I try to remember to leave the knob in recirculate mode.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
bluemavrick5510

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Yes. In full recirculate the door seals off the outside intake. Whenever I leave one of my vehicles parked outside I try to remember to leave the knob in recirculate mode.
Ok, I'll do the same. Thank you so much.