Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-11-2012, 03:55 AM   #1
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
My wheel dreams crushed or, how heavy is too heavy?

I've been looking for a set of new rims. I always liked the look of the Ronal Turbo R10 and learned that it is now possible to buy them in the US:

http://www.ronalwheels.co.uk/?page_id=25.

My plan was to strip them and powdercoat them all white (my Yaris is white). I think aero style wheels suit the Yaris' style/shape perfectly. They come in 15 X 7 38mm offset.

So what's the problem? They weigh about 18pounds each!! They were, IIRC, originally made for rallying and like ALL rally wheels, they are heavy.

I am an engineer and I also have a Miata which really responds to LIGHT wheels. I have a set of Volk TE37 (15 X 7, 9 pounds each) on my Miata. So, I find it difficult to wrap my mind around 18 pound wheels on such a small car.

How badly do you all think wheels this heavy will affect the ride, handling, gas mileage of the Yaris? Should I go look for more traditional wheels?
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
They will slow acceleration, decrease gas mileage but if you are going for the look than who cares. Ive got some 20+ lb wheels getting ready to be mounted.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
go boosted and power issues won't be a concern :)

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
^ lmfao exactly what i was gonna say, I believe my summer rims are about 16-17 LBS each plus cheap tires i was at over 35 LBS per corner. with stock engine it was noticable but i could drive comfortably, boosted i didnt even notice it.

Compliment your new rims with a Turbo or S/C and youll be quite happy
Old 12-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
Form>Function

I like your guys' suggestion. Love the thought process lol

Old 12-11-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
yaris2010RS

yeah! i purchased an ATV and then needed to buy a GMC Pickup and a trailer to haul it around. Do what you gotta do to live the life style you want
Old 12-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Offset the weight with a slightly smaller overall tire. You'll get your acceleration back.

At least they're 15's.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
my wheels are 15.6 lbs and I want them to be lighter, so i understand the weight desire. Those would look pretty sick on the yaris, and as long as you aren't concerned with silly things like mpg then it doesn't mater their weight, but as for acceleration, boosted fun is always an option, plus lightening the car as a whole to better the power to weight ratio.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #9
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
My wheels are 28.3 lbs. each. Acceleration is diminished but my rolling weight on the highway is amazing; I can coast for miles. Still getting upper-mid 40's gas mileage wise. (But again, I am all highway. 110 miles per day round trip.)
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Don't go any wider than a 195 tire. There's a lot of weight in the tread, and keeping the contact patch smaller will help with f/e. I had 195/16s, and am now on 215/17s. My 17s are a lighter wheel, but the tires are killing me.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
Yaristeve

LOL. Thanks for the answers so far.

But boosting is not really in my Yaris' future. It is my daily driver and I don't want to introduce any problems. Besides, the acceleration issue is my lowest concern, except for the climb over the mountains on the way to Vegas. I am mostly concerned about heavy boat anchors crashing bashing through potholes and causing the car to get "thrown around". I do plan on lowering it sometime in the near future so I don't want the handling to get affected too badly. Plus, I remember the day I installed the Volks on my Miata and went from 12 pounds per wheel to 9 pounds. It felt very nice although it might have been mostly in my mind after paying $400 each...

And then there is the gas mileage. I've come to enjoy the 36MPG average gas mileage. How much do you think it will drop?

Hearing some of you guys installing as-heavy and heavier wheels makes me feel a little better; maybe enough to go ahead and take the plunge anyway.

Lastly, what is really ironic is that Ronal calls itself, "Ronal Light Alloy Wheels". The 16 X 7.5 version of this wheel (R50) is 24 pounds!!! Maybe their other wheels are light but they need to make a new subdivision just for these two wheels, "Ronal Strong and Robust but No Way In Hell Light Alloy Wheels Division"...
Old 12-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ ha, good one
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #13
Form>Function

Im no professional but that may have a negative impact as far as marketing is concerned lol

Old 12-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #14
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
ESM makes a 15x8 +20 as a rep (not quite a rep, but a similar wheel I suppose), about $650 shipped and they do come in white already. Still weigh 18 lbs., but you have an extra inch of rim as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15x8-15-Whee...sories&vxp=mtr
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
yaris2010RS

The Pefrect rims you want.......................$1,200
The Perfect tires your want.....................$400
Zage kit from garm to ofset the weight...$1,600

Having the perfect car..........................PRICELESS

for eveything else there is mastercard......or in Garms case, Paypal
Old 12-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #16
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
if you do mostly city driving, heavy wheels will adversely affect your mileage, unless you drive with a light touch on the throttle

if you do a lot of highway, heavy wheels will likely be nicer as they'll hold your momentum, but keep in mind that your braking distances will be a bit longer

33OH has big heavy-ass 18's, but theyre great for cruising

i wouldnt worry about potholes so much for the wheels sake...theyll be sturdy

my personal experience is driving my car with 14" steelies and crandalls car with 17lb 17's. i noticed a huge difference in acceleration and braking (was slower to go and stop with the 17's)
Old 12-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #17
marlondog
Shut your fricken suck!!!

Drives: 07' liftback
Keep the dream alive, and get those mofos. You dont need ultra light wheels to drive your car to 'space boy' from Initial D. Those wheelz are as sick as bumz fucking. I would keep them the way they are. If you are looking for similar wheels, you can always get the ESM 001 wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yhst-1408381693991_2029_21790685.jpg (385.5 KB, 170 views)
marlondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #18
Yaristeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlondog View Post
Keep the dream alive, and get those mofos. You dont need ultra light wheels to drive your car to 'space boy' from Initial D. Those wheelz are as sick as bumz fucking. I would keep them the way they are. If you are looking for similar wheels, you can always get the ESM 001 wheels.
Memory Fab, a used JDM wheel dealer in Northern California, had a set of Bridgestone DTM wheels that, other than the lettering, look exactly like these (cap and pin, included). I was thinking of buying them (they were for sale for the longest time) but when I decided to pull the trigger, they were gone. :( I forgot where I saw it, but I actually read a post by the buyer asking a few questions about the wheels; double burn...

Are these your wheels? The reason I hesitated buying is because I can't tell if the face sticks out past the lip. Does it? If not, triple burn...

The reason I would paint it all white is because I don't like TOO much bling. I even painted the polished stainless steel muffler body of the Tanabe Medallion Touring flat black, although I did leve the tip shiny.