Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-27-2018, 02:38 AM   #1
07liftback

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
07 Yaris Hatch - Bad MPG?

So having owned the Yaris for about 8 years, my best tank was from a 400+ mile trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles where I achieved 45mpg. I made another post about it, believing it might have been from claying my car but I also drafted behind large trucks for 80% of the trip. This was right after I changed the Air Fuel (Precat oxygen) Sensor, plugs, pcv, all fluids, and pumped tires to 45psi. I even made a front grill block for the trip that I forgot to mention in that post.

However, I used to get 34 mpg with 80% highway driving and 20% city, 12 miles each way per day. I then started getting 28-30mpg driving about 30% freeway and 70% city, 6 miles each way everyday. In both scenarios, I rarely get stuck in traffic and I'm shifting before 2k rpm.

I implement every hypermiling technique I can think of other than engine off coasting. I usually downshift as I come to a stop without touching the gas pedal which should cut off the fuel for that duration of time while at the same time slowing me down before applying the brakes. I drive slowly up hills and gain speed going down hills to conserve fuel. It seems that no matter what I try, I can't even get close to other members numbers in the 40-60mpg range.

I also have a 96 miata that I drive like a bat out of hell. It gets mid to high 20s with zero hypermiling techniques on the same exact commute. The only mod it has are the lowered suspension where it's about 1-2" off the ground. I also fill it up with Costco gasoline.

At this rate, I'm really disappointed with mpg of my Yaris since everyone on this forum seems to be getting 40+ mpg and it doesn't sound like they're taking on extreme hypermiling techniques which I used to get to 45mpg. Really don't know what else could be wrong other than the Costco gasoline I've been using.
07liftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:21 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07liftback View Post
since everyone on this forum seems to be getting 40+ mpg
Do not propagate this myth. Far from everyone is achieving 40+.

The efficiency of this engine is very sensitive to environmental and situational conditions. My worst reported f/e is half my best. Predominately highway is 25% better than predominately city. Same for cold vs warm. I've never had a car which has such radical swings in economy. I can look at my logs and easily spot when it was cold, or predominately highway, or my wife was driving...

It could well be your change in road type utilization has hit you.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2018, 07:24 AM   #3
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
all that downshifting to stops is just beating up the synchro's
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:01 AM   #4
07liftback

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Do not propagate this myth. Far from everyone is achieving 40+.

The efficiency of this engine is very sensitive to environmental and situational conditions. My worst reported f/e is half my best. Predominately highway is 25% better than predominately city. Same for cold vs warm. I've never had a car which has such radical swings in economy. I can look at my logs and easily spot when it was cold, or predominately highway, or my wife was driving...

It could well be your change in road type utilization has hit you.

Yes, I've noticed some swings in fuel economy depending on how I drive it as well. I'm usually feathering the gas pedal and shifting before 2k rpm. I'll notice drops if I'm driving it half as spirited as I drive the miata. But I still envy the majority of people in this forum talking about effortlessly achieving 40+ mpg. On the same route from San Francisco to Los Angeles, we took a friend's civic VX and I was able to get 62mpg with my hypermiling techniques which was largely due to drafting behind large trucks most of the time and staying around 55mph as I did with the Yaris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
all that downshifting to stops is just beating up the synchro's
Hmm, first time I've heard that. I've just been trying to implement DFCO as stated in the pinned thread to squeeze every mpg out of the Yaris I can. I'm still on the original pads and rotors at 110k miles. (knock on wood)
Old 04-27-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Yeah, I don't get 40-60. In all my time on the forum, I think 50 was the holy grail number. The highest consistent numbers I recall seeing were from hyper-milers and they were getting around 42-46.

I don't hyper-mile at all. To the contrary, I like to get where I'm going. I usually see between 30-33 mpg.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:19 AM   #6
WeeYari

My worst: 24.24 mpg Dec 31, 2017
My best: 46.51 mpg June 26, 2014
Lifetime average: 31.33 mpg

For its size and engine displacement, the Yaris has never been considered stellar in the economy bracket. In my first years of ownership the vast majority of people were very surprised at what real world numbers proved to be vs what they perceived it should achieve.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:09 PM   #7
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
For its size and engine displacement, the Yaris has never been considered stellar in the economy bracket. In my first years of ownership the vast majority of people were very surprised at what real world numbers proved to be vs what they perceived it should achieve.
I think you're spot on. People always ask what the mpg is like and often joke about how I must get 50 mpg. I don't think it gets bad mpg but it's not what most expect.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:42 PM   #8
07liftback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Yeah, I don't get 40-60. In all my time on the forum, I think 50 was the holy grail number. The highest consistent numbers I recall seeing were from hyper-milers and they were getting around 42-46.

I don't hyper-mile at all. To the contrary, I like to get where I'm going. I usually see between 30-33 mpg.
I believe it was in the main thread where many were reporting mpg in the 40's but these numbers are reassuring. Thanks!
Quote:
My worst: 24.24 mpg Dec 31, 2017
My best: 46.51 mpg June 26, 2014
Lifetime average: 31.33 mpg

Yep, it's rather easy to beat EPA estimates if you drive it correctly. Glad to hear I'm not the only one in the high 20s to mid 30s club.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:42 PM   #9
Guinness

Drives: 2018 Yaris Hatchback SE
I typically got 36 mpg in the winter and 39.25-40.5 mpg in the summer with my 07 Hatchback. I’d say I’m not an overly aggressive driver.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:29 AM   #10
07liftback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
I typically got 36 mpg in the winter and 39.25-40.5 mpg in the summer with my 07 Hatchback. I’d say I’m not an overly aggressive driver.
That's pretty good. How many miles each way is your commute and how much highway driving vs city driving? I'm thinking people who drive farther distances on their daily commute would be able to achieve these higher numbers.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:46 AM   #11
scylla

Drives: 2015 Yaris L
The newer Yaris have real time mpg meters in the dash lcd. The sweet spot for these engines seems to be 45 to 50 mph. With a tail wind at 45 on flat ground I can hold 50 MPG plus pretty easy. Where I get hit is in the lower gears thru town or at 80 mph. Lower gears 14 or 15 mpg. 80 mph upper 20's to lower 30's mpg.
It all averages out.
scylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:08 AM   #12
Guinness

Drives: 2018 Yaris Hatchback SE
Quote:
That's pretty good. How many miles each way is your commute and how much highway driving vs city driving? I'm thinking people who drive farther distances on their daily commute would be able to achieve these higher numbers.
I worked at 3 different jobs. First one was 55 km each way through country back roads where the speed limit was 80 km/h most of the way. There was many stop signs as I zig-zagged from home to work. I’d let off the accelerator as I approached a stop sign to minimize gas usage.

The other two were 20 km drives each way with most of each commute bring on highway. It isn’t a true highway as it has 70-80 km/h speed limits and 4-5 stop lights on it. Less of a chance to let off the accelerator for better fuel economy.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:01 PM   #13
07liftback

Quote:
Originally Posted by scylla View Post
The newer Yaris have real time mpg meters in the dash lcd. The sweet spot for these engines seems to be 45 to 50 mph. With a tail wind at 45 on flat ground I can hold 50 MPG plus pretty easy. Where I get hit is in the lower gears thru town or at 80 mph. Lower gears 14 or 15 mpg. 80 mph upper 20's to lower 30's mpg.
It all averages out.
Hmm interesting stuff. I have a scangauge 2 and haven't really used it to track real time mpg like I used to. Might be useful to start using it again to know which gear I should choose when tackling hills. Are your tires filled past 40psi?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
I worked at 3 different jobs. First one was 55 km each way through country back roads where the speed limit was 80 km/h most of the way. There was many stop signs as I zig-zagged from home to work. I’d let off the accelerator as I approached a stop sign to minimize gas usage.

The other two were 20 km drives each way with most of each commute bring on highway. It isn’t a true highway as it has 70-80 km/h speed limits and 4-5 stop lights on it. Less of a chance to let off the accelerator for better fuel economy.
Ah, my commute is very similar. I'd have quite a few stop signs as I live in the suburbs but the main road to the freeway is very similar to a freeway where it'd be all green lights for half a mile before reaching a red light. It continues like this for about 3 miles before I reach the freeway. Compared to the other cars near me that do jack rabbit starts and race towards every stop light, I'm probably the most civilized driver on the road without holding up traffic too bad unless they're a speed racer who likes tail gating...

PS: I just realized what the other guy meant when he said it's bad for my synchros when I downshift so much. I didn't make it clear that I drive a 5-speed manual transmission Yaris. I'd understand that downshifting with an automatic would play hell on the transmission and it probably wouldn't last 50k miles. The best part of driving manual is being able to take hypermiling to extreme measures as well as an extremely reliable transmission compared to autos.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:30 PM   #14
scylla

Drives: 2015 Yaris L
Quote:
Hmm interesting stuff. I have a scangauge 2 and haven't really used it to track real time mpg like I used to. Might be useful to start using it again to know which gear I should choose when tackling hills. Are your tires filled past 40psi?

No, I keep my tires at 32 or 33 psi. I'm not a hyper mileage guy, my Yaris gets plenty good enough. Especially compared to my last vehicle, a Ford Ranger.

Though I would like to get my average up, I think the lower mpg is due to winter blend fuel + colder temps combined with a lot of lower gear driving with the 4 speed auto. Plus, during spring, summer and fall, I always have a bike rack attached to my hitch, empty or loaded. Not much I can do about those factors.

Last edited by scylla; 04-30-2018 at 03:44 PM.
scylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:08 PM   #15
dogsridewith

automatics don't have synchros
Old 05-02-2018, 01:35 AM   #16
07liftback

Quote:
Originally Posted by scylla View Post
No, I keep my tires at 32 or 33 psi. I'm not a hyper mileage guy, my Yaris gets plenty good enough. Especially compared to my last vehicle, a Ford Ranger.

Though I would like to get my average up, I think the lower mpg is due to winter blend fuel + colder temps combined with a lot of lower gear driving with the 4 speed auto. Plus, during spring, summer and fall, I always have a bike rack attached to my hitch, empty or loaded. Not much I can do about those factors.
That's some awesome mileage without any hypermiling! I really wish I knew other Yaris owners local to me so we can compare. Too many factors have to be accounted for with Yaris owners in different geographical location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
automatics don't have synchros
Ahh sorry, I don't know too much about transmissions. Just that it's not good running through the gears with an auto.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:45 AM   #17
dogsridewith

Read all the posts here on members trying to solve worn synchros by switching transmission oil types.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:55 AM   #18
WeeYari

Quote:
Too many factors have to be accounted for with Yaris owners in different geographical location.
I've had a feeling deep in my gut for as long as I've owned this car. I swear that two identical Yaris tested side by side, all things being equal, the f/e numbers would not match.