Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Suggestions - Feedback - Questions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-21-2017, 03:33 PM   #1
Crispan
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Cool Answers needed

My partner was on her way to work when she was involved in a four car pile up. She was the second last car.
I need to find someone who is familiar with the Yaris and it crash set up.
As she was breaking and approaching the car in front and breaking to a stop she was suddenly shunted from behind by a Toyota Corolla 2005, pushing her into the rear of a Mazda 3 2008.

The Mazda rear fender is far stronger then fender at the front of the Yaris, this caused the front crumple zone to do what it was designed to do and CRUMPLE protecting my girlfriend (airbags did not deploy so she injured her chest when she hit the steering wheel).

She was struck by a provisional driver from behind (speed unknown) by a Toyota Corolla 2005. They have a huge protective bumper on the front. Because of the little damage that was evident on the rear of the Mazda and the front of the Corolla, the crash assessor has come to the conclusion that my partner was responsible i.e she crashed into the Mazda from the rear and the corolla hit her from behind because of this.

I know this to be untrue. What this assessor is overlooking is the fact that the Yaris has a crumple zone in the front instead of big impact absorbing fenders, it did exactly what it was supposed to do. The rear of the car had very little damage done to it, this was because the Corolla's huge impact absorbing fender caused the MUCH LIGHTER Yaris to be shunted at some force into the Strong rear bumper of the Mazda. I have photos of the rear and front of the Yaris but I don't know how to upload them here yet.

What I am looking for is confirmation that this is in fact what happened. That the much lighter Yaris with it's specific design did exactly what it was designed to do in the event of the crash that happened.
Crispan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:48 PM   #2
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Sorry to hear about the accident. It makes me want to go out and buy a dash cam just to avoid being blamed from something that wasn't my fault.

Last edited by Kalispel; 02-21-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #3
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
You would probably get more responses posting this in the General section. This section was intended for forum suggestions/feedback.

I'd say a mod will move for you, but that's prob wishful thinking.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:17 PM   #4
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Just curious, how do you know the sequence of collisions unless you were present at the time of the crash?

Unless you have some kind of evidence to the contrary (such as dash cam video or witnesses), you are going to be hard-pressed to contradict the conclusion of the accident investigator. I doubt that they didn't take into account the designs and construction of all vehicles involved.

I am not sure how things are in Ireland, but in the US insurance adjusters are certified and licensed by the government (usually at the state level). Unless you find another professional that will testify on your partner's behalf, you're in a losing battle. And even if you did find one that would do so, you still may not win.

So, while I can sympathize with your plight; I think your only option is to try to find a crash assessor who is willing to refute the claim of the original crash assessor.

Good luck!

M2
Old 02-22-2017, 10:19 PM   #5
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
By the way, the word is "braking" (the process of making a moving vehicle slow down or stop by using a brake), not "breaking" (to separate or cause to separate into pieces as a result of a blow, shock, or strain).

If you're going to go up against a professional crash assessor, you may want to get your terminology straight!
Old 02-23-2017, 06:57 AM   #6
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Accident incident investigation investigator crash reconstruction tailgate distracted

Ridiculous assertion that "investigator" could determine you weren't pushed by looking at bent stuff on the ends of random cars. Ask the insurance company for his credentials so you can report him to his licensing or accreditation board...or identify the certificate he got from the bottom of a Crackerjack Box or Trump University.
Even if you did rear-end the car in front first, the car behind is at fault for rear-ending you.
Seriously. Post 1 is very well written to describe the basic insurance company evasion attempt...broadcast it everywhere. Public service for all in your situation who would just get scammed and abused by the process.
(Accident incident investigation investigator crash reconstruction tailgate texting distracted)

Last edited by dogsridewith; 02-23-2017 at 07:07 AM.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:56 PM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
whoever thought that train of events up is a moron, it is nearly impossible for it to happen that way. If you have to get a lawyer, or fight through your own insurance company.

I had a cop claim that bullshit on me, but my insurance company realized it was total idiocy and fought the stupidity and won, because it is a moronic idea.

Tags
crash, crumple, fenders, zone