Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-06-2007, 09:05 PM   #1
ROCKLANDTOYOTA
JOE GIRTH

Drives: YARIS 3DOOR
MY YARIS IS SLOW NOW?????

I NEED A HEADER. ever since i put on the intake and exhaust(which sounds AWESOME by the way)ive noticed a lag in power.trd is too expensive so i need an alternate. who has actual results they can share with me????
Old 03-06-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
forpinks

Drives: 03 Toyota Corolla S modded,
Clean your MAF sensor and see what happens... it might be clogged by the oil from the air filter and couldn't get a right reading... spray it with a MAF sensor cleaner you get at almost any auto part store BTW if its out of stock use an Electronic Sensor cleaner.. same thing but with less additives...
forpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:40 PM   #3
ROCKLANDTOYOTA
JOE GIRTH

Drives: YARIS 3DOOR
my car has 563 miles on it.....
Old 03-06-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Drives: 2007 Black Sand Liftback
NEWS FLASH!!! A Yaris is slow even with a header, pulley, intake, exhaust, lightweight oil filter cap, high performance windshield washer fluid tank, color matched badges, less than 1/2 a tank of gas, and you cutting your legs off to save weight.

Tanabe DF, Debadged, stripped, Black emblems
Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:45 PM   #5
forpinks

dude! when I got my Corolla back in 02 I installed the TRD filter before I even drove it off the lot... after a thousand miles I feel it being slow even after a Synthetic oil change. and then I looked at a corolla forum and found out how a dirty MAF robs power... so I checked and found out theres some thin gunk on it so I sprayed it with electronic contact cleaner and it went back to normal...
Old 03-06-2007, 09:56 PM   #6
Moose
Resident Redneck

Drives: 07 Polar White Yaris Sedan 5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimble View Post
NEWS FLASH!!! A Yaris is slow even with a header, pulley, intake, exhaust, lightweight oil filter cap, high performance windshield washer fluid tank, color matched badges, less than 1/2 a tank of gas, and you cutting your legs off to save weight.
LOL- he has a point.

Seriously, you will lose bottom end grunt with an exhaust. It will get worse with a header.
1985 Toyota Celica GTS Coupe 5M- track whip
http://www.importlounge.com
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:03 PM   #7
oscarying

Drives: SLOOWZ
I found out the car goes better in 0-80km/h when i took off my exhaust,
may be because it went quieter and i don't notice how fast i was going without the exhaust...
but true,1NZ-FE engine,what do you expect?190kw?no way man
if you want fast,don't get yaris
oscarying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:29 PM   #8
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
where is the MAF sensor at? any help?

Thank you
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:32 PM   #9
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
LOL-Seriously, you will lose bottom end grunt with an exhaust. It will get worse with a header.
Seriously, I just ordered the ZPI exhaust but I don't want to lose low end power. Will this really happen?
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:56 PM   #10
forpinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal1984 View Post
where is the MAF sensor at? any help?

Thank you
start from your throttle body to before your air box... you should find it there. its got 2 screws holding it in place... it has a toyota word embossed on it
Old 03-06-2007, 11:01 PM   #11
forpinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Seriously, I just ordered the ZPI exhaust but I don't want to lose low end power. Will this really happen?
yes it does affect your high end... but its great for racing and drifting...

you need that so your car breathes at high RPM "thats what I always need at the light when a Camaro's beside you"...

get a turbo after you get the exhaust, they have financing available ...
Old 03-06-2007, 11:17 PM   #12
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by forpinks View Post
start from your throttle body to before your air box... you should find it there. its got 2 screws holding it in place... it has a toyota word embossed on it
THank you Pink
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:08 AM   #13
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

Drives: 08 solstice gxp, 06 triumph s3
Send a message via AIM to tekmoe
i installed the trd jdm exhaust and trd cai myself. my car runs great! noticable power gain compared to stock.

might want to have your yaris looked at?
Old 03-07-2007, 12:45 PM   #14
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
yes it does affect your high end... but its great for racing and drifting...
-slaps forehead-

Listen, here is the deal... with exhausts on your Yaris... first of all, you guys are still running a stock midpipe right in the middle of your system. You'd probably see better gains replacing the header and midpipe than you would the header and axleback portion. The key is to "get it out." Running 2.25" piping for the first 50% of your exhaust will free you up... running 2.5" piping to 2" piping then back to 2.25", that is just crazy. If you expect noticable performance gains from that kind of a setup, you're crazy too.

If you really want a performance exhaust on your yaris, get a header, trick the sensors in the midpipe and run a test pipe. Otherwise, you're only doing it for looks and sound... not that that is bad, I'm just trying to keep it real. You definitely want to open up that midpipe.

Second of all, the most likely scenario when adding a larger diameter exhaust is that you will lose some low end power unless you're doing something to get more OXYGEN into your cylinder and you are running a FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR to get more fuel into your cylinder. Only when you have more AIR and FUEL in the cylinder will your engine begin to make enough power to justify the larger exhaust at low RPM's at make it work for you under 3 grand. The good news is you will inevitably gain on the top end. Above 3000 RPM your engine is producing more and more exhaust as you rev higher, and the larger exhaust tubing will help you in that situation. Backpressure is your enemy at high revs, your friend at low revs.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:21 PM   #15
ToTo

Drives: Toyota Yaris T SPORT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
-slaps forehead-

If you really want a performance exhaust on your yaris, get a header, trick the sensors in the midpipe and run a test pipe. Otherwise, you're only doing it for looks and sound... not that that is bad, I'm just trying to keep it real. You definitely want to open up that midpipe.
How about a highflow cat instead of test pipe? Or a high flow resonator?
Old 03-07-2007, 01:35 PM   #16
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Sure, you can throw a high flow cat in your custom midpipe. The only thing is you're still going to have to do your homework and figure out how to deal with the sensors. From what I understand, nobody has had much luck with this yet, hence why no aftermarket company is offering a midpipe. Therefore, in order to run a high-flow cat you'll probably end up having to trick the sensors, but if you're tricking the sensors you don't need a cat, so why have it? Even a high-flow cat will make you lose a little flow vs. not having one at all. I say trick the sensors, buy a muffler and bend some 2.25"... make/weld yourself a little flange and booya.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:46 PM   #17
forpinks

this is the only answer to this...

If you live in the east coast, just install a racing straight pipe on your yaris, a header thats for racing, an intake manifold designed to suck the air out of earth, and just put your old CAI there... add turbo, change some internals, gut the interior, install a bunch of suspension upgrades, and change the wheels and tires with yokohama advans... and you just got yourself a GO-KART!!!

all for the price of a used Celica GT. or you can sell all the parts you gutted out of the yaris too... BTW you should have the fastest yaris in this forum if you do this... LOL
Old 03-07-2007, 02:37 PM   #18
Dragonacc

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 70 Mach 1, 84 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Sure, you can throw a high flow cat in your custom midpipe. The only thing is you're still going to have to do your homework and figure out how to deal with the sensors. From what I understand, nobody has had much luck with this yet, hence why no aftermarket company is offering a midpipe. Therefore, in order to run a high-flow cat you'll probably end up having to trick the sensors, but if you're tricking the sensors you don't need a cat, so why have it? Even a high-flow cat will make you lose a little flow vs. not having one at all. I say trick the sensors, buy a muffler and bend some 2.25"... make/weld yourself a little flange and booya.
I agree, tricking the sensors is really easy too. Just install a couple fittings for your 02 sensors in a test pipe and make a mechanical 02 sim (I can provide details if anyone doesn't know how to make one) for the second sensor. No check engine light and maximum power.

It would work with a high flow cat too if you care about the Earth.
Dragonacc is offline   Reply With Quote