Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
bmlors

Drives: Acura Legend
Yaris vs. Corolla

I'm new to the Yaris world, but am strongly considering purchasing one once this "Cash for Clunkers" program goes through. I drove one at the local dealer yesterday, and their only suggestion was to consider a Corolla. For the options I want (15" wheels, keyless entry, cruise -- basically the power package w/ keyless), the pricing after incentives is almost the same ($300 more for the Corolla). MSRP is obviously significantly lower on the Yaris, which will impact registration and insurance pricing. It appears that MPG is nearly identical. Any thoughts on comparing the two? I do have 3 kids, so the additional size of the Corolla is attractive, but certainly not a requirement as this will primarily be a commuter vehicle.
bmlors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
It depends on if you need more commuting or more family use out of it. For us, my wife has the first gen Scion XB which has a much roomier back seat and thus we didn't really need a second family vehicle.

My Yaris needs to get the best mileage it can on my 70 minute commute. Check FuelEconomy.gov and other sites and you should find that a significant percentage of Yaris owners beat the EPA rating by anywhere from 5 to 25%.
While you may not get more on the clunker program for it, your actual commuting savings in the Yaris should be better.

The Corolla isn't bad if you can get it on the dealer lot with the options you want, and if any of those 3 kids might eventually be taking this vehicle as their own, you might look at the insurance impact of both models with a 16 year old driver behind the wheel.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Insurance and registration on my corolla(well prizm) were dirt cheap. Both the yaris and corolla are awesome, reliable, low maintenance, high mpg economy cars. Go test drive them both and come home with which ever one feels better for you. Also, I've driven around with 3 other adults in my yaris sedan fairly comfortably. It has a surprising amount of room.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:54 AM   #4
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
When the price is that close it comes down to personal preference.

If you're driving mostly city, you will do better on gas with the Yaris, but on the hwy there will be very little difference.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
When the price is that close it comes down to personal preference.

If you're driving mostly city, you will do better on gas with the Yaris, but on the hwy there will be very little difference.
my personal experience is that is quite accurate. my 5 speed 09 corolla gets within 1 mpg (highway/suburban type driving) of what my 5 speed yaris hb did on the same route and driving style. in strictly city type driving the yaris would get 2-3 mpg's better.

if the prices are similar, and it is corolla vs yaris sedan, the yaris has no advantage. the corolla is quieter and rides more comfortably and feels like much more car...and when driving a manual transmission (if that is your thing) the experience of shifting in the corolla is like heaven compared to the notchy shifter and bizarre clutch uptake of the yaris. however, if you want a hatchback and want the high mpg's, then the yaris hatchback is the answer for sure.

Last edited by roxy1; 06-17-2009 at 09:45 AM.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:27 AM   #6
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Both are outstanding cars. I love my Yaris, but when I drive my Mom's Corolla, I feel I'm driving a luxury car, and I enjoy it very much; it's smooth, quick, and quiet. Which one fits your needs best?
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote