Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-04-2010, 11:08 PM   #1
ILyaris07

Drives: 07 yaris sedan
Advice on installing 20" and up.

Thanks for visiting this thread,
As stated I am throwing some thought into 20-24" rims by spring 2011. What is the cost of lift kits and what parts does it entail.. Are they parts I can find in the junk yard? Will this install majorly alter the driving mechanics of this car (i.e. suspension, alignment, cornering, turning, mpg)?
I understand they will be heavy and make the car even slower than it already is, but I have a light foot, plus much experience with the hassles and expense of traffic court, so I keep it slow anyways
ILyaris07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:36 PM   #2
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
WOW lol i thought its all about whos the lowest?!?!? hehehehe
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:38 AM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Only advice I can think of is: don't

But it's up to you really, we've seen a couple people on 20" before...

As for lifting, look into CTScott's Crashy build, he did raise the suspension on it!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
It makes the car pretty impractical. And I don't think you could go beyond 20" if you wanted to. They just wouldn't fit in the wheel well even with a lift.

Is this your primary transportation? Because 20's basically turn it into a show car. If you want to make the sacrifices, that's up to you.

Honestly, the Yaris shouldn't run on anything higher than 18's and even they come with drawbacks.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
pretty sure you can tuck 20's if you get the right wheel width and offset. 22's may be a stretch, not sure if anyone has tried to fit them yet.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
My advice is that you better have a really fat wallet , b/c wheels , tires and suspension setup will cost as much as you paid for the car ......not to mention the price of a step ladder
Old 09-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #7
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Only advice I can think of is: don't
My exact thoughts when I read the title. 20s are an expensive and bad idea - I don't think 24s will fit unless you do like a 2 foot frame lift.

As to the specific concerns of the OP -

suspension will wear faster
handling will be worse
acceleration and MPG will be much worse
rubbing will be horrible even with a lift kit

I see lots of strut, bearing, and axle replacing in your future. Oh and 1500 dollar tires go quick with all the camber you are gonna have to put on it. As Kal-el put it, unless its a show car driving on carpet it doesn't make any sense.

Have you driven the stock yaris on a windy day yet? Might wanna drive through some 40 mph cross winds before you think about raising it a whole lot... lol

I'm tired of typing all the negatives, but the drivetrain will also go insanely fast if you throw 20s on a DD. I predict with tires you would spend somewhere between 5 and 10 times what the average yaris driver spends on maintenance and repair over the life of the vehicle.

Did I mention it also looks completely ridiculous? Make sure to get the shiniest chrome you can...
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrr View Post
My exact thoughts when I read the title. 20s are an expensive and bad idea - I don't think 24s will fit unless you do like a 2 foot frame lift.

As to the specific concerns of the OP -

suspension will wear faster
handling will be worse
acceleration and MPG will be much worse
rubbing will be horrible even with a lift kit

I see lots of strut, bearing, and axle replacing in your future. Oh and 1500 dollar tires go quick with all the camber you are gonna have to put on it. As Kal-el put it, unless its a show car driving on carpet it doesn't make any sense.

Have you driven the stock yaris on a windy day yet? Might wanna drive through some 40 mph cross winds before you think about raising it a whole lot... lol

I'm tired of typing all the negatives, but the drivetrain will also go insanely fast if you throw 20s on a DD. I predict with tires you would spend somewhere between 5 and 10 times what the average yaris driver spends on maintenance and repair over the life of the vehicle.

Did I mention it also looks completely ridiculous? Make sure to get the shiniest chrome you can...
Lol. what he said^
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
Kal-El

To give you a visual idea, here's one on 20's. Yeah, it's doable, but as we've said, doesn't make for a reasonable daily driver. Rubber band tires that leave the wheels prone to damage at the first sign of a crack in the road. And severe rubbing and lack of turning ability.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2010, 03:33 PM   #10
Kal-El

Oh, and there's the problem of finding a 20" wheel with a 4-bolt lug pattern. I don't even know why they would exist.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:22 PM   #11
ILyaris07

Drives: 07 yaris sedan
Dang, thanks for the input fellas.
Some answers: Yes, it is my DD. Currently, have 17s, front/rear dvd, middle exit exhaust. Honestly I feel like I could pour $ into performance mods, and still never get neck-snapping speed. I mean is it really worth $3k for the Blitz sc to still get a slow 0-60 of 7.5 sec?
A local shop here says $4k for lift kit with 22s and tires included.
Btw, Kal-El those 20s look ace, man. I wouldnt mind those, just not chrome for me tho. How did u get them on, any tips?
Yarr, good words, man. I hear you on those cross-winds! makes my heart skip a beat while overpassing 18-wheelers.

Last edited by ILyaris07; 09-05-2010 at 06:30 PM. Reason: wrong user name
ILyaris07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:43 PM   #12
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILyaris07 View Post
Btw, Kal-El those 20s look ace, man. I wouldnt mind those, just not chrome for me tho. How did u get them on, any tips?
That's not my car (mine is in my sign w/ 16's). Just an example from a Google search. I don't like chrome either.