Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-11-2016, 09:48 PM   #1
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Will new muffler help with fuel efficiency ?

The muffler on my 2007 2dr HB is getting pretty rusty, I think the whole exhaust system is stock, so about 10 years of age. I'm planning on giving it at least a new muffler in the spring, and I'm wondering if an aging muffler does any significant loss in mileage ? It's not perforated or falling appart yet tho, just very rusty.
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:41 PM   #2
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
banana in the tail pipe...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:50 PM   #3
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
No, buy a new right foot instead.

Buy your muffler based on the sound you want, otherwise just do oem.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:58 AM   #4
mimelio

Drives: NOTHING
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
The muffler on my 2007 2dr HB is getting pretty rusty, I think the whole exhaust system is stock, so about 10 years of age. I'm planning on giving it at least a new muffler in the spring, and I'm wondering if an aging muffler does any significant loss in mileage ? It's not perforated or falling appart yet tho, just very rusty.
Run it until it get noisy and no a muffler getting old doesn't effect gas mileage....In fact a noisy one may actually improve mileage a little bit
mimelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #5
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Scraping off the loose rust and scale rust and debris on top of the muffler will extend life, as all that holds water and salt.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:26 PM   #6
David C

I also have that clinging noise that I remember someone mentioned was caused by a loose piece of sheet metal banging against the manifold or exhaust pipes around the back of the engine bay, that would be the next fix I want to do. Anyone has a clue on the most probable location of the loose sheet metal part ?
Old 10-15-2016, 10:20 PM   #7
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
Anyone has a clue on the most probable location of the loose sheet metal part ?
Just follow the path of the exhaust system from engine to muffler. Heat shields are easy to spot as they are, and look like aluminum. The first one is bolted to the firewall directly behind the exhaust manifold. The rest are bolted to the undercarriage at strategic points above the piping. Any loose one will wiggle. If mounting points are not compromised, the shield will not yield to attempts to wiggle it.

Clanging could also be caused by a worn out gasket between the manifold and the down pipe. If your '07 is still on original gasket, then it is probably shot.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:58 AM   #8
David C

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Just follow the path of the exhaust system from engine to muffler. Heat shields are easy to spot as they are, and look like aluminum. The first one is bolted to the firewall directly behind the exhaust manifold. The rest are bolted to the undercarriage at strategic points above the piping. Any loose one will wiggle. If mounting points are not compromised, the shield will not yield to attempts to wiggle it.

Clanging could also be caused by a worn out gasket between the manifold and the down pipe. If your '07 is still on original gasket, then it is probably shot.
I've noticed that the heat shield over the manifold is pretty rusted trough, perhaps a new one wouldn't hurt either. I just haven't done much wrenching behind the engine yet due to the rust-proofing treatment gunk turning my engine bay into a dirty black cave. I'll check out the gasket too.