Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-20-2017, 01:08 AM   #1
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
What's wrong with this picture?

So I'm driving the other day and the sun is shining in thru my passenger window. I reach over to the sun visor to block it out and this happens...WTF?
Attached Images

NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:08 AM   #2
NYC-SE

I take a closer look at the visor and I notice some greasy fingerprints.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2017, 01:09 AM   #3
NYC-SE

Then it hits me. A couple of months ago my car was making a clicking noise. I took it to the dealer. Twice. For a total of four days. Details here:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58154

It turned out to be a broken weld in the roof near the hatch. They "repaired" it by jamming a piece of rubber between the weld and the roof. In the process they broke the plastic cover on the middle rear seat belt roof anchor and bent my headliner, as well as leaving greasy fingerprints everywhere. All fixed by me. It's clear now that they also removed the sun visor during their search for the click. Unfortunately they reinstalled it backwards. I never would have known if the sun wasn't shining just right.

God I love dealerships. The service manager swore he put his "top guys" on it because it was a hard problem to diagnose. Thank goodness I didn't get just anyone assigned to the job.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:10 AM   #4
NYC-SE

Fixed

A minute of my time, a T25 Torx driver, and all is well again.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #5
mrpj

Drives: 2014 Icon+ 1.33l Multidrive
mrpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:17 AM   #6
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Wow; broken weld in the roof, greasy fingerprints everywhere and visor installed backwards? Not cool!

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #7
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Can't they fix the bad weld?
Old 07-20-2017, 04:50 PM   #8
NYC-SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
Can't they fix the bad weld?
The rubber was their fix. It did stop the clicking so I just let it be. The car was at the end of it's warranty period and I had absolutely no time to get it back to the dealer before it ran out. I didn't want to take it back to that particular dealer anyhow and I'm sure if I was to show up at a different dealer, after the warranty was up they would say take it back to who originally did the repair. Either that or they would be happy to charge me for what would most likely be an equally inept repair.

I have never experienced a drama free dealership interaction. Whether it's the purchase transaction with it's what's the real price game, or "free" oil changes where they use the wrong oil, or warranty repairs. There is always some sort of problem. BTW I'm not just ragging on Toyota, I'm talking about all of them. My all time worst was a VW dealer.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:23 PM   #9
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
The rubber was their fix. It did stop the clicking so I just let it be. The car was at the end of it's warranty period and I had absolutely no time to get it back to the dealer before it ran out. I didn't want to take it back to that particular dealer anyhow and I'm sure if I was to show up at a different dealer, after the warranty was up they would say take it back to who originally did the repair. Either that or they would be happy to charge me for what would most likely be an equally inept repair.

I have never experienced a drama free dealership interaction. Whether it's the purchase transaction with it's what's the real price game, or "free" oil changes where they use the wrong oil, or warranty repairs. There is always some sort of problem. BTW I'm not just ragging on Toyota, I'm talking about all of them. My all time worst was a VW dealer.
Yeah, auto dealerships and the big business mindset in general just sucks. It's getting harder and harder to find any affirmative value for money spent any more.

Was your 2014 Yaris built in Japan or France?
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:31 PM   #10
NYC-SE

Japan
Old 07-20-2017, 07:52 PM   #11
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Japan
Well, that is disheartening.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:13 PM   #12
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
that's all too bad. there is a lot of great dealerships around here. there is only a few that i would be concerned with going to. there's only one toyota dealership i would avoid here.
my job, i go to dealerships/body shops/repair facilities and i repair shop equipment. so i've been to almost all of them. does NY have a mechanics union?
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:35 PM   #13
NYC-SE

NY is a heavily unionized state, but I have no idea if any of the dealerships are union shops.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:47 PM   #14
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Drives: Hatchbacks
I've been helping my parents try to get their Kia Optima fixed at the dealership because the push button start doesn't always work. Kia forums are full of people with the same issue; a faulty brake switch, but the dealership won't fix it until it consistently doesn't start. They said to keep notes of every time my parents get stuck somewhere and call back in a month. Ouch. That's on a 2015 model. Time to trade it in for a Yaris! ;)

I'm glad you were able to diagnose and fix the problem yourself without having to go back to the dealership.
bradbowl is offline   Reply With Quote