Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-24-2017, 12:19 AM   #19
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Motzking, we're talking about real life here, and the fact is that changing the plugs at around 100k miles is often beneficial. Members of this forum have proven it time and time again. Now let's get back to helping out the OP with his actual issue.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:32 PM   #20
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
it doesn't make sense to loose ANY fuel millage in the winter time, if anything I would think it would go up. colder, denser air burns more hot and would bump compression causing less throttle action. winter fuel usually contains less corn, so it also burns hotter and easer, also increasing compression. colder air over radiator and block should reduce temperatures, increasing thermal efficiency of block to dissipate heat. I have lost about 1.5 mpg only because I go looking for parking lots and ice patches to play on...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:36 PM   #21
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
That colder air requires more fuel because it's more dencerer than hoterer airs. Also, cold starts use a lot more fuel while the engine gets up to operating temp. But yes the engine will make more power with less throttle input with colder air. On a long drive there's probably be a negligible difference.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:33 PM   #22
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
Cold air is essentially like having a bigger engine. You get more air (denser), with more oxygen, allowing it to use more fuel and make more power. You can then use less throttle, but engines are less efficient (less power produced per unit of fuel) at smaller throttle openings due to pumping losses.

Elevation has an even greater effect. Air gets much less dense at higher elevations. I always get much worse fuel economy at sea level than I do way up in the mountains.
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:09 PM   #23
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I can attest that as soon as winter fuel comes to my neck of the woods fuel mileage drops about 75-100km per tank regardless of temp changes. Some years it is already cold, other years its still warm.

There is a very noticeable difference and this is not due to changes in driving as my driving week to week stays about the same.

Where I live this is due to emissions standards being less stringent for fuel in the winter months, they also have an anti freeze additive. These factors lead to lower quality fuels that costs less for the companies to produce but the trade off is poorer fuel efficiency and a more dirty burn.

The prices used to drop about 8 cents per liter as soon as winter fuel went on line, however the last year or two the prices haven't dropped and they've decided to just keep them the same. Then when summer fuel comes back on the prices go up 10 cents. As long as we keep bending over...
Old 01-26-2017, 06:59 PM   #24
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
The prices used to drop about 8 cents per liter as soon as winter fuel went on line, however the last year or two the prices haven't dropped and they've decided to just keep them the same. Then when summer fuel comes back on the prices go up 10 cents. As long as we keep bending over...

Not true. I have every fuel purchase logged going back to Feb 2007 and there is no pattern decrease and subsequent increase in price associated with changes in gasoline formula.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2017, 07:29 PM   #25
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
That's been my experience except for the last 2 years. It is also been talked about within the gasoline industry that winter gas is cheaper to manufacture due to the lower emmisions requirements in the winter months
Old 01-27-2017, 08:28 PM   #26
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
My gas mileage can vary widely in the cold. I just managed 37 mpg and was thinking that was way too low, but checked and last winter I was getting the same. Compare that to easily hitting 45 and topping out at 49 mpg in the summer.

As was mentioned, there are a bunch of reasons why there could be nothing wrong with your car and the gas mileage can just drop because it is colder.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:55 AM   #27
ncp13

Drives: 01 Yaris TS
Is it automatic or manual transmission?
ncp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:29 PM   #28
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
FWIW, I typically get about 42mpg or so during the summer, and about 32-35mpg during the winter (5MT).
matti is offline   Reply With Quote