Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-08-2017, 05:05 PM   #1
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Driver window auto up

My 2014 and 2016 have driver one touch down for the driver window. However, they don't have one touch up. I found instructions online for older Toyota window switches to add the auto up but the inside of the Yaris switch is very different. It does, however, use a relay for both rolling the window down and up on the driver side. I'm guessing there is some way to make the auto up work. The physical switch on the board does actually move up to a point that should trigger the auto up. Any of our electronic experts here (like CTScott) able to figure this out?
Old 07-08-2017, 05:10 PM   #2
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Pictures of said unit.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:03 PM   #3
m.flores.0928

Drives: 2014 Yaris
I posted a similar thread earlier... no response. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
m.flores.0928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:07 PM   #4
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

So my Scion xA has a very similar setup and I got it to work. I'll have to pull apart the Yaris again and see what I can do. However, I noticed today that the bottom of the bumper is cracked up! The body shop damaged it when they had it for the hail repairs! So hell is gonna fly Monday.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:55 AM   #5
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Okay, so here's the back of the Scion's window board. It's different but very similar so I'll eventually apply this to the 2014 Yaris and then to the 2016 Yaris.

Besides adding the two wires, I had to pop off the switch plastic itself and cut two plastic tabs that prevent you from moving the switch all the way up. The only thing that sucks is doing this is that you pretty much do the auto up for the window all the time since it doesn't have that detent like it does for the auto down position. However, to me, I could really care less because the window is usually either all the way down or up.

Once I do the one on the Yaris I'll take more pictures and all that good crap so you guys can see how I did it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg switch.jpg (284.3 KB, 92 views)
Old 07-20-2017, 01:58 AM   #6
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

And yes, my hands are shaky and worthless so please forgive the crudeness of my work here LOL
Old 07-20-2017, 10:13 AM   #7
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Neat feature I enjoy in my better half's Honda. Really cool that you've figured out how to hack it in the Yaris.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #8
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Yeah it's something I miss from my Prius. I will probably try to do the Yaris one today and after I will write a how to
Old 07-20-2017, 11:20 PM   #9
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Okay, so I got down to it, had to experiment a little bit since the board is different than the Scion's layout, but after suffering a bit I have auto up windows in both my 2014 and 2016 Yaris.

BE WARNED! NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR CAR GETS DAMAGED, YOU OR OTHERS GET HURT, OR DIE! The auto up window modification does NOT have pinch protection and other safety nanny garbage. It can and will hurt you if you act or are stupid! My soldering skills are atrocious! DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Step one, remove window switch. The panel it's in basically pops off. It's on there tight, be careful. After you remove the panel there's a big connector that goes into the switch. Push the release and carefully pull it out of the switch.

Step two, there are three screws holding the switch to the panel. Remove those and put them aside. Start up your soldering iron and get some nice thin wiring (it's for a signal, not direct current for the window motor) ready to wire in.

Step three, remove the circled screws in the picture below that hold the window switch itself together.

Step four, pull off your window lock button. It literally pulls off... see picture. After that, you can easily pull the window switch plastic things off of the window switch electronic bits. Naughty naughty for peeking LOL. See picture.

Step five, be careful and seperate the board from the plastic riser thing that connects the board to the car harness. It pulls apart, just be careful not to break anything. See photo again.

Step six, time to suffer! Get two small pieces of wire ready because it's soldering time. If you look at the board, you'll notice a black computer chip thing. Look closer, and you'll see two connectors poking through the board with no traces on them. For shame, because that's what your new thin wires will do. Solder a wire to each of those little pegs sticking out. Make sure it's not touching anything else! Next, you'll have to solder each wire to a spot on the driver window switch area. Please see attached picture with the arrows to show you what to do. I also have a picture there of the two door Yaris switch to show you how that one gets on with it's bad self. After doing this, it's a good idea to put the riser back on and test it. Make sure you recenter the switch mechanism yourself because it won't do it after you move it! With some luck, the auto up and down functions will be functional.

Step seven, the worst part of all. Be careful here, it's stupid easy to break something. You have to remove the driver window switch plastic from the rest of the plastic piece. I have not found a good way to do this besides suffering and praying not to break it. What I did was take a screwdriver from the underside, carefully pry out on part of the plastic while pulling REALLY HARD on the switch on the side I'm prying on, and then doing the same on the other side of the switch. It sucks. Also, while doing this... take special note of the picture I have of the underside of the switch once it's off... there's a plastic tab thing in there that can fly away and if that happens you are SCREWED so be careful! Once you get that jerk off of it's home, you'll see these two tab things sticking up. Please refer to the pictures below, I circled them and what you need to do with them. They are there so you can't pull the driver switch up all the way. After cutting them and swearing at it, it's time to just pop the window switch plastics back on. You did have that plastic piece in the switch cap, right? Good.

Step eight, make sure you recenter all the switches on your circuit board. Carefully put the two pieces of the window switch back together. Put the three little screws back in. Plug it in and test it! Then, test it again... and again... and again. Does it work like it should? Awesome! Put the switch back into the big plastic piece and put the three screws in for that. Then plug it in, secure the connector, and carefully snap that big piece back into the door panel. Test it again! It should work great now and you can have back a feature that they should have just included in the first place, those cheap jerks!

REMEMBER, THERE IS NO PINCH PROTECTION SO TREAT IT WITH RESPECT!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 door switch.jpg (261.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Remove circled screws.jpg (268.1 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Remove window lock.jpg (255.9 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Driver switch circled.jpg (316.3 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Board off riser.jpg (275.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Connection 4 door 1.jpg (368.9 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Connection 4 door 2.jpg (382.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Connection 2 door.jpg (255.0 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Before cutting.jpg (236.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg After cutting.jpg (260.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Underside of switch rocker.jpg (203.6 KB, 71 views)